UK, NHS Charging, updated guidance

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The British Government have update the guidance for NHS Charging in the UK, including that for British Expats who are visiting the UK, this guidance supersedes all previous guidance/instructions.  Mai

Many expats who worked in the UK all their lives and only moved overseas to retire to a pleasant climate will be paying thousands of pounds a year in income tax on their pension. It seems a bit unfair

the elderly are also the very people who have made the largest financial input to the NHS over their working lives  and therefore over the longest number of years.  It's a right not a privilege to be

Probably very timely though to note this broad exception:

"Overseas visitors to England, including anyone living in the UK without permission, will not be charged for:

• testing for coronavirus (even if the test shows you do not have coronavirus)
  • treatment for coronavirus

No immigration checks are needed if you only have testing or treatment for coronavirus."

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/visiting-or-moving-to-england/visitors-from-outside-the-european-economic-area-eea/

• Like 1

PS, when I worked in the NHS some years ago, NHS staff were forbidden to ask patients if they were UK citizens, and actually entitled to care on the taxpayer.

Seems it's OK to penalise UK citizens that chose to live overseas, but not people not entitled to NHS care in the first place.

NB, that may have changed since I left the NHS.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, theoldgit said:

it is perfectly possible to be ordinarily resident here from the day of arrival, when it is clear that that person has, upon arrival, taken up settled residence. In each case, it is for the relevant body to decide whether the criteria within the ordinary residence description are met

So I arrive at Heathrow after 10 years in Thailand with a bad disease (not Covid), and tell the Border man that I am here to stay. What criteria do I need to meet to be allowed in as a settled resident please?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

So I arrive at Heathrow after 10 years in Thailand with a bad disease (not Covid), and tell the Border man that I am here to stay. What criteria do I need to meet to be allowed in as a settled resident please?

I too would be interested as i am planning on an extended visit next year which will entail a hospital visit 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

PS, when I worked in the NHS some years ago, NHS staff were forbidden to ask patients if they were UK citizens, and actually entitled to care on the taxpayer.

Seems it's OK to penalise UK citizens that chose to live overseas, but not people not entitled to NHS care in the first place.

NB, that may have changed since I left the NHS.

The government has always asked hospital staff to check the status of incoming patients. The various unions/professional bodies always advised their members not to. Thus its rarely, if ever questioned for hospital admissions. Also, if referred by a GP they assume that the GP has made those checks (which they rarely do).

If your only asset is your pension then the NHS can't take money from your pension. If you have an emergency they treat you anyway. If you want cosmetic treatment even UK residents have to pay for it.