Police deployed in Ratchaprasong area amid planned protest, warn against ‘illegal’ assembly after 5pm

webfact

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Appears they are trying to stifle the freedom of the press and that is never good.  Using the archaic laws they employ, why don't they just go back in time to riding elephants and horses and using carrier pigeons.

Well, TVF won't be affected, same as before. Which is...

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2018/01/22/nation-multimedia-taken-far-right-news-corp/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it was me, I'd open a dialogue between the handful of billionaire clans and the mass of the people. I'm sure there's a compromise here somewhere. Jailing the leaders was a big mistake, just as shutting down public media is. It goes out of your control. Just how long are police and soldiers going to continue obeying orders, apart from one or two elite units.

Edited by nausea
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, nausea said:

If it was me, I'd open a dialogue between the handful of billionaire clans and the mass of the people. I'm sure there's a compromise here somewhere. Jailing the leaders was a big mistake, just as shutting down public media is. It goes out of your control. Just how long are police and soldiers going to continue obeying orders, apart from one or two elite units.

It seems the speaker of the house has suggested they have a meeting soon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Well, TVF won't be affected, same as before. Which is...

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2018/01/22/nation-multimedia-taken-far-right-news-corp/

How low can a share go on the SET before it's delisted?

"Nation Multimedia Group (NMG) closed at 0.46 baht Monday on the Stock Exchange of Thailand, where it has been sliding toward its lowest level since 2011."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-prayut-agrees-to-extraordinary-house-session/

The prime minister also dismissed speculation that the government was planning to impose a curfew and enlarge the state of emergency to cover some other areas outside Bangkok to deal with the escalating anti-government protests.

He said the he will ask the Cabinet during its weekly meeting on Tuesday to consider proposing to Parliament to meet to discuss the current situation.

11 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The prime minister also dismissed speculation that the government was planning to impose a curfew and enlarge the state of emergency to cover some other areas outside Bangkok to deal with the escalating anti-government protests.

He said the he will ask the Cabinet during its weekly meeting on Tuesday to consider proposing to Parliament to meet to discuss the current situation.

Well seeing as the great leader has stated it won't introduce a curfew I am inclined to believe they will, If past experience is anything to go by I reckon I am guaranteed to be right!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Gotta love a new threat for using social media and the lack of free spech just handed down...trying to stop the protestors is going to end bad for this government i have a feeling.

Yes, a lot of short sighted, dim little men running scared, they will box themselves into a corner and they are flailing around blindly for anything to stop the pain. Messing with the peoples FB and online stuff may well blow up in their faces!!

They are in denial, all they are doing is adding power to the demonstrators and prolonging the pain. Unfortunately I don't expect them to roll over and leave the trough without significant discomfort the like of which we have not seen for many years...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Gotta love a new threat for using social media and the lack of free spech just handed down...trying to stop the protestors is going to end bad for this government i have a feeling.

I think a curfew will be the icing on the cake as far as the students are concerned 

• Like 1

You guys are far too optimistic. 

It is not that easy and quick to dislodge a government, legitimate or not. 

Just look at Maduro, in Venezuela, or Assad, in Syria, or Lukashenko, in Belarus... not to mention Carrie Lam in Hong Kong. 

These guys are still there despite having endured far far more pressure than the Thai PM. 

In fact, it is very rare for such protests to succeed, and when they do, as in Iran in 1979, for example, they are followed by mayhem... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nausea said:

Really? Most people I see are standing up giving the three fingered salute.

they briefly did that from 17:59 until 18:02 to sing the national anthem. now everyone sitting again. which feed are you watching?

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

No hurry, then. Maybe talk about arranging another meeting to discuss preliminary thoughts regarding forming a comitee to await reports from a few sub-comitees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

as in Iran in 1979, for example, they are followed by mayhem... 

I was there 3 weeks before the Ayatollah moved in, that was a lot more violent the students were blowing the place up, infact the hotel we stayed in after we had gone they blew it up, what the regime did afterwards, well best we dont talk about it, as I did have friends who were stranded there

3 minutes ago, tgw said:

well, I was expecting to see crazy schoolgirls in that feed, instead I saw people sitting down.

You serious? You didn't see these crazy schoolgirls adressing the crowd? You know, the ones in white shirts and blue dresses. Maybe you haven't been in Thailand too long.