Police deployed in Ratchaprasong area amid planned protest, warn against ‘illegal’ assembly after 5pm

webfact

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Now it's raining and with their dispersal it will be a welcome relief.

They have had a good day.  Back to school tomorrow. 

But prison for some charged with anything they can think up, ironic that those who led a coup are now so concerned about 'peace and order'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I live in an area (formerly) very red, and no one gives a damn.

The locals have more pressing matters to deal with, starting by saving their rice crop, and finding a job for the many who have lost theirs...

I guess they are just to thick realize the problems they have, are largely  to do with the government, that's the beauty of the Thai essan peasants do nothing, but send your family members to patong etc will solve the problem.

• Like 1

It's all live on youtube. I'm staying out of it, not my fight. Can't say I'm surprised though. Like your young media aware Thai isn't exactly serf material. Taught them for a few years, most guys and gals were quite aware what was going on. You wouldn't believe the stuff that was circulated privately.

Edited by nausea
  • Like 2

I wonder if Apirat is still in the temple, or is he on his way back to Bangkok. What did the new military boss say....no coup unless there are problems. I’m sure Apirat would class these “unpatriotic,nation hating” people as a problem and justification for another coup.

3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:
33 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How do you think they are winning? How are they going to overthrow a military-backed government? Serious question, because I can't see how it is possible.

So the fact that old fatty Prawit said on Tuesday that it would only be a small demonstration and the government weren't worried in the slightest......... swiftly followed by 21 checkpoints being set up in and around Bangkok............ followed swiftly by 14000 police & military personnel  being drafted in....... swiftly followed by soldiers masquerading as yellow shirt supporters........... swiftly followed by a hastily drawn up emergency decree (on top of an existing emergency decree)............ followed up by this afternoon's demonstration with the police & or military no where to be seen......... I'd call that a win for the popular vote, you obviously see it differently.

Their aim is to restore international-standard democracy, rather than the Thai-style sham. Remembering, of course, that previous 'democratic elections' were rife with intimidation and vote-buying. And to reform something we can't mention, which has a zero chance of even being discussed.

As far as democracy goes, that means getting the government to change the constitution they spent a couple of years concocting to ensure that they could not be removed from power. Or for the government to resign. No matter how many thousands come out onto the streets and how many times they rally, all it is is wishful thinking. Protesting isn't winning. Winning is overturning the government, a government dominated by the military which has zero interest in any form of democracy. And that simply won't happen.

All credit to them for their aim which not surprisingly has huge support, but their efforts are utterly futile. Whenever people have come on the streets before, the military took over. Now they don't even have to overthrow a democratically elected government. They are the government. And you can't fight guns with sticks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

When I read the news this morning my first thought was ' The protestors are winning this & the Dinosaurs are running scared.

More power to the youngun's elbows. 

I think you'll find that the dinosaurs are deliberately running into trouble to make it look like they are being made extinct. 

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Their aim is to restore international-standard democracy, rather than the Thai-style sham. Remembering, of course, that previous 'democratic elections' were rife with intimidation and vote-buying. And to reform something we can't mention, which has a zero chance of even being discussed.

As far as democracy goes, that means getting the government to change the constitution they spent a couple of years concocting to ensure that they could not be removed from power. Or for the government to resign. No matter how many thousands come out onto the streets and how many times they rally, all it is is wishful thinking. Protesting isn't winning. Winning is overturning the government, a government dominated by the military which has zero interest in any form of democracy. And that simply won't happen.

All credit to them for their aim which not surprisingly has huge support, but their efforts are utterly futile. Whenever people have come on the streets before, the military took over. Now they don't even have to overthrow a democratically elected government. They are the government. And you can't fight guns with sticks.

Why are you so defeatist ? Do you remember when this all kicked off after FFP were ordered to disband due to trumped up charges ? The first rally ( if I remember correctly ) had maybe 200 or 300 attendees, look at them  ow, I also note that there seem to have been other demonstrations around the country.

Yes it's gonna be a long hard struggle but the momentum is there to take this to all the way now, it won't be too long before their numbers reach 100's of thousands, what will the authorities do then, jail the whole country ????????

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

In Thailand the Western news media such as the BBC and CNN got blacked out with a message "program will resume shortly". Is that the old "normal" program or a new updated program? 

On page 5 of this thread there is a direct YouTube link to the protest.

13 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Why are you so defeatist ? Do you remember when this all kicked off after FFP were ordered to disband due to trumped up charges ? The first rally ( if I remember correctly ) had maybe 200 or 300 attendees, look at them  ow, I also note that there seem to have been other demonstrations around the country.

Yes it's gonna be a long hard struggle but the momentum is there to take this to all the way now, it won't be too long before their numbers reach 100's of thousands, what will the authorities do then, jail the whole country ????????

I'd prefer to think of myself as a realist. Popular uprisings have never succeeded in Thailand. The military see to that, protecting the elite.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

But this isn’t like previous events. Taboos have been broken never to be the same again.

The glue that held it altogether has melted into a mess. More and more people are understanding that good ideas are more important than people or outdated traditions. 

I'd like to think that you're right. But they have dramatically, massively, raised the stakes in calling for non-democratic institution reforms.

2 hours ago, ID2020 said:

We must support the youth, the only people with the courage to preserve their freedom and rights. 

All of you who look on and fear the consequences of standing like real men and women should be ashamed of themselves. Children have to protect you... and you won't even help them. Shame on you. 

Just a reminder of forum rules relating to such things:

5) You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd prefer to think of myself as a realist. Popular uprisings have never succeeded in Thailand. The military see to that, protecting the elite.

The difference this time is world wide media coverage. If they manage to get foreign governments to condemn the usurpers and subsequently affect the exports/investments, that could rock the boat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

lol .......   TV farang have been saying the same thing for the past 5 years. 

Khun Prayut Chan O Cha will be in charge for another 10 yrs possibly.  just imo, but who knows.  

Thai people know, which is who I've been talking to

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Might help if the military divided and went against the Regime controllers. I would bet the conscripts and many others in many armed forces branches agree and side with the students and Thais push. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely. Thailand would even be better off with an administration run by Justin Bieber. He doesn't need the cash. 

The Thai army is light years beyond toxic and incompetent. 

Strange how some people wish Thailand to be governed by Thaksin, a Trump like character, while at the same time wishing to get rid of Trump in their own country...go figure...

Edited by Brunolem
  • Confused 6