Police deployed in Ratchaprasong area amid planned protest, warn against ‘illegal’ assembly after 5pm

webfact

24 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I was just reading the local and see where more rally leaders have been arrested and also those involved in an incident Wednesday afternoon. 

Looks like the government won't tolerate this behavior and violence much longer.   

It'll all be over in no time ...... 

'behaviour '..? protesting ..violence ?  .none!  Someone sound like a mouthpiece of the junta .fixed fake PM and Gov 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brunolem said:

And then what? Anarchy?

These students have no leaders, no people ready to replace the actual government.

Assuming that free elections were held, they would bring back the old cohort of Thaksin cronies, because they are still the most popular where it matters

Would Thailand be better off with such a government?

Have you heard of the Future Forward party?  In answer to your final question, the answer is "undoubtedly".

• Like 2

'An outsider observing Thailand, without knowing who's in charge, would barely notice any difference between life in, say 2012 and 2018.'

Yes, because all non army governments have so feared  the consequences of the army's displeasure they have done nearly everything the army wanted.  They held back from making the radical changes that were needed.

Can anyone explain...

who are all the government authorites dressed in black, with berets and different color scarves?

is there any siginifcance to the color of the scarf?

In some photos they seem quite young. And a bit scared, often looking towards their "commanding officer" as if unsure of their mission.

I know they are unarmed.

Are they the Thai version of ROTC?

circled.jpg

Edited by mtls2005

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Have you heard of the Future Forward party?  In answer to your final question, the answer is "undoubtedly".

Yes they tried putting 6 million votes in the bin thinking those votes wouldn't be missed, an assumption that was surely a miscalculation.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Can anyone explain...

who are all the government authorites dressed in black, with berets and different color scarves?

In some photos they seem quite young. And a bit scared, often looking towards their "commanding officer" as if unsure of their mission.

I know they are unarmed.

circled.jpg

The only armed group in this part of the world that I remember wearing scarves was the Khmer Rouge.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Can anyone explain...

I know they are unarmed.

circled.jpg

Border Patrol Police I think.

The coloured scarfs simply indicate which detachment or sub unit they are from. Allows the commanders with overview to see how their men are deployed.

"Scared" well, yes, when you are used to strutting your stuff at a road checkpoint, with everyone trying not to be noticed by you, then suddenly coming face to face with tens of thousands of hostile demonstrators is possibly a bit scary!

Unarmed, yes, those in contact with the crowds are - too much risk of having the weapons seized. I should imagine that there are plenty of weapons  available if/when needed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Can anyone explain...

I know they are unarmed.

circled.jpg

Makes them look like Boy Scouts rather than soldiers.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Border Patrol Police I think.

Not certain that these youngsters are part of the Border Patrol Police? Can you support your thoughts with any details?

The patches don't match. But maybe these are Scout BCPs?

That said, the chaps in full riot gear at Ratchaprasong this afternoon do have the BCP patches (war elephant with all the options) clearly visible.

I think the color scarves denote the actual police group - there are so many groups. Just a guess. Bright green seem to be Bangkok metropolitan Police. 

Edited by mtls2005

7 minutes ago, nausea said:

Well, the extra special emergency decree hasn't had much effect.

Yeah, they gotta do a super duper hubba hubba extra special jumbo emergency decree at least.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Disperse these violent protestors as instructed. I have been in meetings on site today and I can tell you the instructors and speakers urging the students on are not peaceful. 

They were warned several time to move on ....

The police acted with the utmost restraint .....  but they can only accept so much. 

Well done Khun Prayut Chan O Cha and the Police for their professional action tonight. 

Very funny. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Very funny. ????

not funny,  did you see different ?   They were told to leave and disobeyed ....

what did they expect ....  flowers & chocolates  ?   

The police did an excellent job imo. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

They just started to use water cannons against the protesters. Tear gas is mixed to the water.

Yes I was nearby and seen it on TV.

They were asked to disperse and leave and they disobeyed as such the police moved in.

The police did a great job imo.  These are not students ......  thugs more like it ... just look at the front line screamers.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1