Jump to content

COVID-19 is not going away soon or ever


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PatrickC said:

 

Exactly - a vaccine is way too far off. Get on with life now. Enough waiting. What will be will be.

Its not that far off.

Continuing mitigation efforts for probably another year and a half or two will be worth it.

Mitigation measures are not the same as lockdowns!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not like a regular flu at all. They want masks and distancing to be permanent. None of that happened for regular flu or any other diseases, far as I know. I'm happy to go back to life as pre coro

eventually, everyone will copy sweden and move on as it was a year ago, but its bitter and humiliating for politicians around the world to admit they committed high treason on their own coun

Not to mention that they have destroyed their countries' already fragile economies, that will need years to recover, if ever...

Posted Images

23 hours ago, simon43 said:

 

 

 

The selfishness of many of this younger generation will result in them being known as the granny-killer generation.....

 

     Thatcherism  , gave birth to  the selfish  generation ..

       A great loss too British culture ..

       I am alright , granny/ gramps .  RIP .. 

 

Edited by elliss
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Support for very limited or even no use ever of lockdowns is not the same thing as support for doing nothing, in other words intentional mass homicide via herd immunity before wide adoption of a vaccine. 

 

 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/prominent-hiv-aids-researcher-calls-herd-immunity-against-covid-19-mass-murder

 

Prominent HIV/AIDS researcher calls herd immunity against COVID-19 'mass murder'

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Support for very limited or even no use ever of lockdowns is not the same thing as support for doing nothing, in other words intentional mass homicide via herd immunity before wide adoption of a vaccine. 

THERE I agree but it's the vulnerable who should be advised, not forced to shelter....not the entire population

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VBF said:

How ridiculous - there'll be no businesses left by then!

 

I for one am willing to take a chance, knowing that for the majority, catching CV is not that serious - but very serious for a minority

Therefore as I've said before....let the vulnerable and / or cautious minority isolate voluntarily and the rest of us get on with life.

No. Businesses can reopen but must use mitigation. The numbers of high risk people are just too high to realistically isolate for that long. Also consider so many people living in multi generational families and group housing poverty situations. Just freaking wear a mask!

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VBF said:

THERE I agree but it's the vulnerable who should be advised, not forced to shelter....not the entire population

Agree to disagree. I don't think that is realistic. Wearing masks is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Agree to disagree. I don't think that is realistic. Wearing masks is.

We can agree to disagree (not for the first time!) but my point is that the people who are vulnerable could be advised what to do to protect themselves whilst the vast majority can go about their business. That way we all get our freedom back.

 

But @Jingthingare you or are you not in favour of lockdowns of any sort? To me they are overkill

 

Masks in crowds - OK irritating, but not damaging and might be efficacious - that I will concede.

 

UPDATE: As I have mentioned elsewhere on TVF, I hold my views despite being mid sixties, with an existing condition that might make me vulnerable - better to "crack on and take the risk" -  "you only die once...you should live every day"

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 3:19 PM, allanos said:

 I have read that the DNA of covid-19 is 78% the same as its predecessor, yet a vaccine remains elusive.

Covid lacks DNA.

RNA only.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PatrickC said:

 

I barely read any news but I just googled this and found information in the Sun and the Guardian in the UK about these dissenting scientists. It is not difficult to find information about them.

Makes sense. You barely read any news. And then reference the Sun. Too funny.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, VBF said:

We can agree to disagree (not for the first time!) but my point is that the people who are vulnerable could be advised what to do to protect themselves whilst the vast majority can go about their business. That way we all get our freedom back.

 

But @Jingthingare you or are you not in favour of lockdowns of any sort? To me they are overkill

 

Masks in crowds - OK irritating, but not damaging and might be efficacious - that I will concede.

 

UPDATE: As I have mentioned elsewhere on TVF, I hold my views despite being mid sixties, with an existing condition that might make me vulnerable - better to "crack on and take the risk" -  "you only die once...you should live every day"

I already stated here that I agree with the current WHO position on lockdowns, that they should only be used in particularly severe outbreaks.

 

I vehemently disagree with you that the vast majority of people have nothing to worry about if they get infected. 

 

To wit

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/60-percent-of-americans-have-underlying-condition-that-increases-covid19-risk

 

 

60% of Americans Have an Underlying Condition That Increases COVID-19 Risk

 

 

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, VBF said:

How ridiculous - there'll be no businesses left by then!

 

I for one am willing to take a chance, knowing that for the majority, catching CV is not that serious - but very serious for a minority

That statement is unarguable whatever source you rely on.

 

Therefore as I've said before....let the vulnerable and / or cautious people isolate voluntarily and the rest of us get on with life.

It's relatively easy to get the virus under control. Read up on what Taiwan did. If all countries did this then life would be getting back to normal.

 

Until then, most are reluctant to go back to normal activities. Regardless of age. Though elderly and those with underlying conditions are the most concerned.

 

Let's not be so quick to throw these people under the bus.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's relatively easy to get the virus under control. Read up on what Taiwan did. If all countries did this then life would be getting back to normal.

 

Until then, most are reluctant to go back to normal activities. Regardless of age. Though elderly and those with underlying conditions are the most concerned.

 

Let's not be so quick to throw these people under the bus.

 

I'm not...hence my comment "Therefore as I've said before....let the vulnerable and / or cautious people isolate voluntarily and the rest of us get on with life." I've never suggested forcing anyone to do anything with which they're uncomfortable  - let's just have freedom of choice for all.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I already stated here that I agree with the current WHO position on lockdowns, that they should only be used in particularly severe outbreaks.

 

I vehemently disagree with you that the vast majority of people have nothing to worry about if they get infected. 

 

To wit

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/60-percent-of-americans-have-underlying-condition-that-increases-covid19-risk

 

 

60% of Americans Have an Underlying Condition That Increases COVID-19 Risk

 

That may be true (I don't know how reliable that site is) but that makes a little more sense than locking down - I failed to see where you objected to that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VBF said:

I'm not...hence my comment "Therefore as I've said before....let the vulnerable and / or cautious people isolate voluntarily and the rest of us get on with life." I've never suggested forcing anyone to do anything with which they're uncomfortable  - let's just have freedom of choice for all.

That's not what Taiwan did.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...