COVID-19 is not going away soon or ever

Jillie Norman

9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

There are quite a lot of ants on the planet, so no worries about intelligence. 

As for the bipedal primates, there are reasons to worry about their survival... at some point the consequences of infinite stupidity become really devastating... 

It's just evolution ...

Edited by nobodysfriend

5 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

It's just evolution ...

It's just evolution , but still a pity that we take ( and already took )  so many unique species with us on our way down ...

No respect for nature and it's self regulating systems , selfish and blind , without any ( animalic ? ) sense for what is right and necessary ...

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, surfinglife said:

Why only another year or two? It is here to stay and we must learn to live with it just like we have learned to live with SARS, MERS, HIV (no vaccine for any of those and there won't be one for Covid either). New normal, accept it and carry on.

I wasn't suggesting that this virus would be eradicated in a year or two or ever. I'm talking about things being under relatively good control with massive global vaccinations. Until then people will be well advised to keep vigilant with mitigation measures such as masks and distancing. Really it's more like two years to realistically get to that point. 

• Like 2

I don't know that it will be around forever, at least not in the capacity it is right now. There will eventually be a vaccine developed and that will drastically reduce transmission of the virus. It may not get completely eradicated, but it will get under control at some point, hopefully sooner than later. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

New research finds that SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus that causes COVID-19, is the result of the natural process of evolution rather than a product of laboratory engineering.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/the-new-coronavirus-was-not-genetically-engineered-study-shows

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52048195

it is ' the revenge of the pangolin ...'

May well be the case but  how do  you know the China lab wasnt  messing around with it and where it may not  have been widespread originally    made it  so by accident.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bodga said:

May well be the case but  how do  you know the China lab wasnt  messing around with it and where it may not  have been widespread originally    made it  so by accident.

Stop spreading conspiracy theories.  It's not an invented virus.  Jeez.  Where do you guys get your news?  Twitter?

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 5:07 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Not like a regular flu at all. They want masks and distancing to be permanent. None of that happened for regular flu or any other diseases, far as I know.

I'm happy to go back to life as pre corona and take my chances, even though I'm over 70 and not particularly healthy.

Come on.  Nobody wants masks and social distancing to be permanent.  But considering the human population, in some cases, it might be a good idea!  As you know, we've not experienced something like this in 100 years.

And this isn't the regular flu, but you know that.  It's not just about you, it's about others.  Protect yourself, protect others.  We'd appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 10/16/2020 at 5:31 AM, scammed said:

eventually, everyone will copy sweden and move on

as it was a year ago, but its bitter and humiliating

for politicians around the world to admit they committed high treason on their own country, so its going to take quite some time yet

Some might have a different opinion if a family member died.

On 10/16/2020 at 5:31 AM, scammed said:

eventually, everyone will copy sweden and move on

as it was a year ago, but its bitter and humiliating

for politicians around the world to admit they committed high treason on their own country, so its going to take quite some time yet

Why copy Sweden?  So you can have more deaths and a worse economy?  Seriously?

https://www.axios.com/sweden-death-tally-highest-coronavirus-45dd5bd4-aded-4032-8952-fe745e229575.html

Coronavirus helps drive Sweden death tally to highest in 151 years

https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/

The Swedish COVID-19 Response Is a Disaster. It Shouldn’t Be a Model for the Rest of the World

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, polpott said:

The popular theory is that Covid jumped from bats to pangolin to humans. Same process. SARS was around for 2 years and just disappeared. Spanish flu in the early 1900s also disappeared after a couple of years.

Interestingly, Oxford University, who are at the forefront of current research into a Covid vaccine, were close to developing a vaccine for SARS when it disappeared and their research was discontinued. However the research they did gave them a head start on finding a vaccine for Covid.

My point is that if SARS and Spanish flu can disappear as quickly as they appeared, it points away from Covid being around "forever".

My understanding is a variation of the Spanish Flu is still with us.

30 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The average age of Covid deaths in the UK is 82. I don't it as any problem at all.

It's not just about deaths.  It's also about the long term effects.  Which aren't 100% known right now.

Glad you care about the elderly. ????.  Selfish.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dinkus said:

It may not get completely eradicated, but it will get under control at some point, hopefully sooner than later. 

Problem is that only total eradication of the China virus will eradicate the hysteria. In NSW where I am, we’ve only had a handful of daily positive tests for months now, which I’d think is a pretty good definition of being under control, but we’re still in full panic mode. We’re cursed by the extraordinary sensitivity of the PCR test.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/09/01/1918-flu-pandemic-end/

‘The 1918 flu is still with us’: The deadliest pandemic ever is still causing problems today

"Descendants of the 1918 H1N1 virus make up the influenza viruses we’re fighting today.

“The 1918 flu is still with us, in that sense,”

That's true of all common flu viruses, including 1918 H1N1 virus. In the form that devastated the planet in 1918, 1918 H1N1 no longer exists. A bit of creative writing there.

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

"Descendants of the 1918 H1N1 virus make up the influenza viruses we’re fighting today.

“The 1918 flu is still with us, in that sense,”

That's true of all common flu viruses, including 1918 H1N1 virus. In the form that devastated the planet in 1918, 1918 H1N1 no longer exists. A bit of creative writing there.

Creative writing?  Come on.  Even Covid-19 is mutating as we speak.  Viruses are creative.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, polpott said:

The popular theory is that Covid jumped from bats to pangolin to humans. Same process. SARS was around for 2 years and just disappeared. Spanish flu in the early 1900s also disappeared after a couple of years.

Interestingly, Oxford University, who are at the forefront of current research into a Covid vaccine, were close to developing a vaccine for SARS when it disappeared and their research was discontinued. However the research they did gave them a head start on finding a vaccine for Covid.

My point is that if SARS and Spanish flu can disappear as quickly as they appeared, it points away from Covid being around "forever".

Spanish Flu is an H1N1 flu and still remains around, although it is mutated.  In general (but not always), viral infections move from more deadly to less deadly.   Flu strains are constantly changing but they are divided into specific categories, so if we get the right combination for a vaccine, we can control it.   
SARS 'disappearance' was somewhat mysterious.   But we don't that it doesn't remain in a reservoir animal, whether it's bats or Civet Cats or some other species.   SARS also affected Asians more than non-Asians.   

Covid is highly infectious, and although deadly, it's not deadly enough to kill itself off.   It is also transmitted before symptoms appear, which makes it quite a sneaky virus.  It's got the make up that is ideal for remaining for a long time.   

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

That remains to be seen as we don't even have a jab yet.  Who knows if it will work or not?  Nobody.

Oxford University know. They are well on in Stage 3 of the trials and the results so far are excellent. So much so that several governments are stockpiling it already. Should start to be rolled out by Christmas.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

Oxford University know. They are well on in Stage 3 of the trials and the results so far are excellent. So much so that several governments are stockpiling it already. Should start to be rolled out by Christmas.

You mean the trial that was halted due to a sickness?  Stage 3 trials normally go on for years.  For good reasons.  Frankly, I won't be one of the first in line for any jab.  And since it's a new virus, they still don't know everything about it.  Only time will tell.  And for us here in Thailand, good luck getting a jab this year.  Never happen.

Some great info here:

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-vaccine-what-we-know-so-far-a-comprehensive-guide-by-academic-experts-147881

• Like 1