Jump to content

COVID-19 is not going away soon or ever


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

You mean the trial that was halted due to a sickness?  Stage 3 trials normally go on for years.  For good reasons.  Frankly, I won't be one of the first in line for any jab.  And since it's a new virus, they still don't know everything about it.  Only time will tell.  And for us here in Thailand, good luck getting a jab this year.  Never happen.

 

Some great info here:

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-vaccine-what-we-know-so-far-a-comprehensive-guide-by-academic-experts-147881

Thailand has already bought the Oxford vaccine. The trial was halted for a matter of days until it was found to be coincidental. Every country immediately restarted the trial except the US where trump blocked it in an attempt to get a US vaccine first past the post. You obviously didn't read your own link.

 

 

Edited by polpott
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not like a regular flu at all. They want masks and distancing to be permanent. None of that happened for regular flu or any other diseases, far as I know. I'm happy to go back to life as pre coro

eventually, everyone will copy sweden and move on as it was a year ago, but its bitter and humiliating for politicians around the world to admit they committed high treason on their own coun

Not to mention that they have destroyed their countries' already fragile economies, that will need years to recover, if ever...

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, polpott said:

Its not mutating significantly enough for a vaccine to be ineffectual.

Really? 

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/09/23/houston-coronavirus-mutations/?arc404=true

Massive genetic study shows coronavirus mutating and potentially evolving amid rapid U.S. spread

 

The largest U.S. genetic study of the virus, conducted in Houston, shows one viral strain outdistancing all of its competitors, and many potentially important mutations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Thailand has already bought the Oxford vaccine. The trial was halted for a matter of days until it was found to be coincidental. Every country immediately restarted the trial except the US where trump blocked it in an attempt to get a US vaccine first past the post. You obviously didn't read your own link.

I read that link, and others.  Yes, the trial is back on.  But NOBODY knows what's going to happen with it.  Maybe good, maybe not.  Eventually they will get it right.  They have issues with the seasonal flu jab! Not to mention the anti-vaxers. LOL

 

As for Trump....ugh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, polpott said:

Oxford University know. They are well on in Stage 3 of the trials and the results so far are excellent.

Do you mean excellent in terms of safety and level of antibodies found in blood samples, or do you mean excellent in terms of low or zero actual infections vs placebo groups?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CygnusX1 said:

Do you mean excellent in terms of safety and level of antibodies found in blood samples, or do you mean excellent in terms of low or zero actual infections vs placebo groups?

Yes to all the above.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, polpott said:

The popular theory is that Covid jumped from bats to pangolin to humans. Same process. SARS was around for 2 years and just disappeared. Spanish flu in the early 1900s also disappeared after a couple of years.

SARS did not "just disappear."  It was eradicated by the global public health community, the Chinese in particular, who took stringent measures.  Just like smallpox, SARS was eradicated entirely by public health measures, since no vaccine was ever developed against it.

 

Other versions of the H1N1 virus that caused the flu epidemic of 1918 are still around.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cmarshall said:

SARS did not "just disappear."  It was eradicated by the global public health community, the Chinese in particular, who took stringent measures.  Just like smallpox, SARS was eradicated entirely by public health measures, since no vaccine was ever developed against it.

 

Other versions of the H1N1 virus that caused the flu epidemic of 1918 are still around.

Smallpox was eradicated by vaccine. H1N1 didn't originate in 1918. It had mutated from previous HIN1 viruses. Its one of the more common flu viruses but not the same as 1918 H1N1 which is no longer with us.

 

SARS did just disappear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 5:07 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Not like a regular flu at all. They want masks and distancing to be permanent. None of that happened for regular flu or any other diseases, far as I know.

I'm happy to go back to life as pre corona and take my chances, even though I'm over 70 and not particularly healthy.

Tell us, how did the world learn to live with cholera, typhoid, smallpox etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, polpott said:

Smallpox was eradicated by vaccine. H1N1 didn't originate in 1918. It had mutated from previous HIN1 viruses. Its one of the more common flu viruses but not the same as 1918 H1N1 which is no longer with us.

 

SARS did just disappear.

It's an interesting read about how they got rid of smallpox.  It wasn't easy and took decades.  Along with a coordinated global effort.  Sadly, due to the current president in the US, a coordinated global effort won't happen.

 

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2020/08/27/the-us-cooperated-with-the-soviets-on-smallpox-it-should-do-the-same-with-china-on-covid-19-vaccine-distribution/

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, polpott said:

Smallpox was eradicated by vaccine. H1N1 didn't originate in 1918. It had mutated from previous HIN1 viruses. Its one of the more common flu viruses but not the same as 1918 H1N1 which is no longer with us.

 

SARS did just disappear.

Yes, of course, I was forgetting that the vaccine for smallpox was the first to be developed.  That's also correct about H1N1, a variant of which caused a pandemic as recently as 2009.

 

SARS was indeed eradicated by public health measures, including one instance where the Chinese government filled a hospital with infected persons and then ringed it with soldiers ordered to shoot anyone who tried to leave.  Beyond that, they used temperature testing in airports, isolation of infected persons in Toronto and Singapore, and confined the world-wide spread to a few countries for a total of about 8,000 infected.  Absent the public health measures SARS would have spread to the less-developed world where its containment would have been much more difficult.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, polpott said:

Smallpox was eradicated by vaccine. H1N1 didn't originate in 1918. It had mutated from previous HIN1 viruses. Its one of the more common flu viruses but not the same as 1918 H1N1 which is no longer with us.

 

SARS did just disappear.

SARS has not disappeared, they are still working on a vaccine. It emerged again in the middle east and they called it MERS but still a version of SARS, as is covid. 

They are also still working on the MERS vaccine and we can only hope that intensified research brought about by covid will lead to a positive outcome for all versions of the Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sandyf said:

SARS has not disappeared, they are still working on a vaccine. It emerged again in the middle east and they called it MERS but still a version of SARS, as is covid. 

They are also still working on the MERS vaccine and we can only hope that intensified research brought about by covid will lead to a positive outcome for all versions of the Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

MERS is completely different to SARS. MERS originated in the Middle East and occasionally appears there today. Passed on from camels. Those Bedouin just can't resist a cow eyed camel on those long nights in the desert.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, polpott said:

MERS is completely different to SARS. MERS originated in the Middle East and occasionally appears there today. Passed on from camels. Those Bedouin just can't resist a cow eyed camel on those long nights in the desert.

All are caused by the coronavirus.  So all are similar.  Same same but different.

 

https://www.clinicalmicrobiologyandinfection.com/article/S1198-743X(20)30171-3/fulltext

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

SARS was indeed eradicated by public health measures, including one instance where the Chinese government filled a hospital with infected persons and then ringed it with soldiers ordered to shoot anyone who tried to leave.  Beyond that, they used temperature testing in airports, isolation of infected persons in Toronto and Singapore, and confined the world-wide spread to a few countries for a total of about 8,000 infected.  Absent the public health measures SARS would have spread to the less-developed world where its containment would have been much more difficult.  

The big difference at the time of SARS was the Chinese did not travel as much. I arrived in Thailand as it started and as you say the Thais had already put thermal imaging in place at the airport. At that time Thailand was a major gateway for the Chinese to the rest of the world and was a major influence on containment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, polpott said:

MERS is completely different to SARS. MERS originated in the Middle East and occasionally appears there today. Passed on from camels. Those Bedouin just can't resist a cow eyed camel on those long nights in the desert.

SARS is a coronavirus and MERS is a coronavirus, but there is no dispute Severe And Middle East are different words.

There was a major outbreak of MERS in South Korea 2015, why they were so quick off the mark with covid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...