COVID-19 is not going away soon or ever

Jillie Norman

1 hour ago, PatrickC said:

Exactly - a vaccine is way too far off. Get on with life now. Enough waiting. What will be will be.

Its not that far off.

Continuing mitigation efforts for probably another year and a half or two will be worth it.

Mitigation measures are not the same as lockdowns!

23 hours ago, simon43 said:

The selfishness of many of this younger generation will result in them being known as the granny-killer generation.....

Thatcherism  , gave birth to  the selfish  generation ..

A great loss too British culture ..

I am alright , granny/ gramps .  RIP .. 

Edited by elliss
  • Confused 1

Support for very limited or even no use ever of lockdowns is not the same thing as support for doing nothing, in other words intentional mass homicide via herd immunity before wide adoption of a vaccine. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/prominent-hiv-aids-researcher-calls-herd-immunity-against-covid-19-mass-murder

Prominent HIV/AIDS researcher calls herd immunity against COVID-19 'mass murder'

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Support for very limited or even no use ever of lockdowns is not the same thing as support for doing nothing, in other words intentional mass homicide via herd immunity before wide adoption of a vaccine. 

THERE I agree but it's the vulnerable who should be advised, not forced to shelter....not the entire population

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

How ridiculous - there'll be no businesses left by then!

I for one am willing to take a chance, knowing that for the majority, catching CV is not that serious - but very serious for a minority

Therefore as I've said before....let the vulnerable and / or cautious minority isolate voluntarily and the rest of us get on with life.

No. Businesses can reopen but must use mitigation. The numbers of high risk people are just too high to realistically isolate for that long. Also consider so many people living in multi generational families and group housing poverty situations. Just freaking wear a mask!

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Agree to disagree. I don't think that is realistic. Wearing masks is.

We can agree to disagree (not for the first time!) but my point is that the people who are vulnerable could be advised what to do to protect themselves whilst the vast majority can go about their business. That way we all get our freedom back.

But @Jingthingare you or are you not in favour of lockdowns of any sort? To me they are overkill

Masks in crowds - OK irritating, but not damaging and might be efficacious - that I will concede.

UPDATE: As I have mentioned elsewhere on TVF, I hold my views despite being mid sixties, with an existing condition that might make me vulnerable - better to "crack on and take the risk" -  "you only die once...you should live every day"

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PatrickC said:

I barely read any news but I just googled this and found information in the Sun and the Guardian in the UK about these dissenting scientists. It is not difficult to find information about them.

Makes sense. You barely read any news. And then reference the Sun. Too funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, VBF said:

We can agree to disagree (not for the first time!) but my point is that the people who are vulnerable could be advised what to do to protect themselves whilst the vast majority can go about their business. That way we all get our freedom back.

But @Jingthingare you or are you not in favour of lockdowns of any sort? To me they are overkill

Masks in crowds - OK irritating, but not damaging and might be efficacious - that I will concede.

UPDATE: As I have mentioned elsewhere on TVF, I hold my views despite being mid sixties, with an existing condition that might make me vulnerable - better to "crack on and take the risk" -  "you only die once...you should live every day"

I already stated here that I agree with the current WHO position on lockdowns, that they should only be used in particularly severe outbreaks.

I vehemently disagree with you that the vast majority of people have nothing to worry about if they get infected. 

To wit

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/60-percent-of-americans-have-underlying-condition-that-increases-covid19-risk

60% of Americans Have an Underlying Condition That Increases COVID-19 Risk

Edited by Jingthing

55 minutes ago, VBF said:

How ridiculous - there'll be no businesses left by then!

I for one am willing to take a chance, knowing that for the majority, catching CV is not that serious - but very serious for a minority

That statement is unarguable whatever source you rely on.

Therefore as I've said before....let the vulnerable and / or cautious people isolate voluntarily and the rest of us get on with life.

It's relatively easy to get the virus under control. Read up on what Taiwan did. If all countries did this then life would be getting back to normal.

Until then, most are reluctant to go back to normal activities. Regardless of age. Though elderly and those with underlying conditions are the most concerned.

Let's not be so quick to throw these people under the bus.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's relatively easy to get the virus under control. Read up on what Taiwan did. If all countries did this then life would be getting back to normal.

Until then, most are reluctant to go back to normal activities. Regardless of age. Though elderly and those with underlying conditions are the most concerned.

Let's not be so quick to throw these people under the bus.

I'm not...hence my comment "Therefore as I've said before....let the vulnerable and / or cautious people isolate voluntarily and the rest of us get on with life." I've never suggested forcing anyone to do anything with which they're uncomfortable  - let's just have freedom of choice for all.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I already stated here that I agree with the current WHO position on lockdowns, that they should only be used in particularly severe outbreaks.

I vehemently disagree with you that the vast majority of people have nothing to worry about if they get infected. 

To wit

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/60-percent-of-americans-have-underlying-condition-that-increases-covid19-risk

60% of Americans Have an Underlying Condition That Increases COVID-19 Risk

That may be true (I don't know how reliable that site is) but that makes a little more sense than locking down - I failed to see where you objected to that.

4 hours ago, VBF said:

I'm not...hence my comment "Therefore as I've said before....let the vulnerable and / or cautious people isolate voluntarily and the rest of us get on with life." I've never suggested forcing anyone to do anything with which they're uncomfortable  - let's just have freedom of choice for all.

That's not what Taiwan did.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, VBF said:

Why not buckle down for 2 weeks and let EVERYBODY get on with their life? 

Sure, the vast majority of deaths are elderly or the sick.  But many young, healthy people are dying and suffering potentially life long consequences also. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/18/health/long-term-effects-young-people-covid-wellness/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/young-people-are-risk-severe-covid-19-illness-n1240761

Edited by Jeffr2

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Look.

Let's get real. 

At this point Thailand doesn't need to do any Covid-19 lockdowns and hopefully never will have to.

Indeed the WHO has adjusted its guidance on lockdowns suggesting they should be reserved only for very severe situations. 

I happen to agree with the current WHO guidance.

But as we wait for a safe and effective vaccine to both exist and be widely used mitigation efforts will continue to be needed.

Masks,  social distancing, limiting crowd sizes particularly inside. Focusing on any outbreak areas with mass testing and forced isolation of the infected.

Not really too much to ask!

Opening up totally now without mitigation measures before wide adoption of a vaccine is massively irresponsible. 

I was looking at the protests in Bkk on tv and not much "social distancing" or "limiting crowd size" going on.

IMO people only comply with the dictat as long as it's not inconvenient.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was looking at the protests in Bkk on tv and not much "social distancing" or "limiting crowd size" going on.

IMO people only comply with the dictat as long as it's not inconvenient.

Outside is safer than inside. Were they wearing masks?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, sezze said:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

I've took US data , since many look at those numbers before , i can find plenty from other countries also .

You just lucky if you haven't met a lot of persons with covid yet .

About 5 million lucky people in NZ then. Not many infected so not many will have met an infected person.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-current-cases

Number of confirmed and probable cases 1,912  
Number of recovered cases 1,831

4 hours ago, PatrickC said:

Already tried this earlier in the year. It failed. Time to move on.

Failed?  Where?  Worked out great here in Thailand.  Failed in the USA because they never did it.

You need to read better news sources.  You've said you don't read the news and it shows.

Several posts, and replies to them, containing and/or linking to false coronavirus information have been removed.

Please see the pertinent forum rule that applies to this topic:

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site.

• Haha 1

just as precipitation, drought, fire, flood, hot and cold,

has been, are, and will be part of nature,

so too will death be part of life.

So far, sweden has not filled its yearly quota of deaths,

as to not be flooded by pensioners,

and it doesnt look like this year is going to be different from any other year, its biology.

the drama queens screaming murder are taking statistics out of context,

no different from the modus operandi of climate change influencers.

interestingly they are also using the same ad hominem attacks on 'deniers',

like fascists and denialists as a special reference to holy coast,

which may indicate its the same group

behind both campaigns

https://www.statista.com/statistics/525353/sweden-number-of-deaths/

Screenshot (48).jpg

Edited by scammed
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, scammed said:

just as precipitation, drought, fire, flood, hot and cold,

has been, are, and will be part of nature,

so too will death be part of life.

So far, sweden has not filled its yearly quota of deaths,

as to not be flooded by pensioners,

and it doesnt look like this year is going to be different from any other year, its biology.

the drama queens screaming murder are taking statistics out of context,

no different from the modus operandi of climate change influencers.

interestingly they are also using the same ad hominem attacks on 'deniers',

like fascists and denialists as a special reference to holy coast,

which may indicate its the same group

behind both campaigns

https://www.statista.com/statistics/525353/sweden-number-of-deaths/

Screenshot (48).jpg

Here are the statistics you need to be looking at. Compare Sweden with its immediate neighbours. From the same source as yours.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102257/cumulative-coronavirus-cases-in-the-nordics/

Sweden:   Cumulative Covid cases 96K      Cumulative Covid deaths 5.9k

Norway:   Cumulative Covid cases  13k     Cumulative Covid deaths 267

Denmark: Cumulative Covid cases  30k     Cumulative Covid deaths 643

Finland:   Cumulative Covid cases   10k    Cumulative Covid deaths 346

• Thanks 1

So-called lockdowns are only necessary when the coronavirus is allowed to spread fast and widely because other preventive measures like mask-wearing and social distancing are not widely followed.

If people let down on mask wearing and social distancing, the CV situation will get worse and governments will be forced to escalate things to lockdowns. It's the best argument I know for continuing mask wear and social distancing, because those things help avoid lockdowns.

Also, it's not that the lockdowns themselves failed. They're only effective for as long as they're maintained, and as long as the public abides by those rules. Once you let up on any of the above, the virus is going to do what it does if left unchecked.... SPREAD!

31 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

And unless you're China, keeping lockdowns in place and enforcing them is impossible. We're simply not made for it. So time to move on and live with covid. 

You're conveniently (and probably intentionally) ignoring the fact that widespread use of masks and social distancing is generally going to prevent significant spread of the virus...

But when you talk about "move on and live", you appear to be meaning that the public at large should just do nothing in the way of precautions and let the virus rip into anyone and everyone it can attach itself to.

It's a convenient and false strawman argument that virus skeptics are and have been using.... while the world's CV virus case and fatalities tally keeps rising.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1