COVID-19 is not going away soon or ever

Jillie Norman

26 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Preventative measures - masks, hand washing, I've no problem with them. They don't ruin economies, so fine. The masks do get into oceans and kill wildlife, a fact conveniently ignored by the "we must protect against covid at all costs" zealots, many who no doubt also claim to be environmentalists, but fine, masks are ok - no objection.

It is time to move on. We're done with this lockdown nonsense. Masks - fine. Lockdowns - not ok. Border closures - probably make sense given international air travel spreads it so widely. Time to move on and live life. Stop with the victim mentality!

I'm not calling anyone any names, although I did say correctly that your prior arguments resemble those of virus skeptics... And very much resemble those who are opposed to mask wearing and even social distancing...

But at least, now that you've clarified you're not, at least that's a more defensible position that correlates to reality and public health agency expertise.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 6:01 AM, simon43 said:

I live in Laos.  Life returned to normal many months ago, because we've not had a single Covid death in the country and only 20 cases - now all recovered.

No rules now to wear masks etc, but many people (including myself) put on a mask before entering a shop or when in close contact with others. (I consider it worthwhile to minimise the spread of any airborne pathogen). The main downside to this pandemic has been the loss of foreign tourists in my town, which has led to the closure of many businesses. 

It's still difficult to enter/leave the country.  I hope that when (if?) tourists return to Laos, that we do not have any new outbreaks of this disease.

Not true at all. 

There has been one patient in hospital for like 6 weeks and today a new case was added. Now it's 24 with 2 active ones. Obviously nothing to be concerned about, but Laos is not covid-free.

As far as masks are concerned in Laos - in Luang Prabang where I understand you are, it's mostly small family owned businesses and thus no need to wear a mask. Not sure what the Chinese supermarket does but probably not enforcing it.

At the airport and on board flights you'll certainly be asked to wear a mask, and in Vientiane I was told by an international school teacher that her school mandated masks, but not sure if this is still enforced.

It is always possible that they will introduce mask rules later, I think the reason it wasn't done (unlike in Vietnam, Myanmar and other countries) is due to the poverty and difficulty with enforcing it (aside from the low number of cases). 

Edited by TheFreqFlyer

36 minutes ago, scammed said:

no, its dropping in sweden

Tally as in totals, which obviously are continuing to rise for both cases and fatalities at the world level, as I said.

Screenshot_6.jpg.4ace810fe428c71de63db71f68b7e96e.jpg

Screenshot_7.jpg.d5c6733fde8125524fbd9da3ddae93ff.jpg

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

But you get the same kind of trend line if you look at the rise in daily reported cases around the world, which more reflects the current and increasing levels/rate of virus spread.

Screenshot_4.jpg.e50f82236d7af48ca22d136aeae2ceef.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

The Reuters data shows the pace of the pandemic continues to pick up. It took just 32 days to go from 30 million global cases to 40 million, compared with the 38 days it took to get from 20 to 30 million, the 44 days between 10 and 20 million, and the three months it took to reach 10 million cases from when the first cases were reported in Wuhan, China, in early January.

Record one-day increases in new infections were seen at the end of last week, with global coronavirus cases rising above 400,000 for the first time.

There were an average of around 347,000 cases each day over the past week, compared with 292,000 in the first week of October.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Tally as in totals, which obviously are continuing to rise for both cases and fatalities at the world level, as I said.

Screenshot_6.jpg.4ace810fe428c71de63db71f68b7e96e.jpg

Screenshot_7.jpg.d5c6733fde8125524fbd9da3ddae93ff.jpg

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

But you get the same kind of trend line if you look at the rise in daily reported cases around the world, which more reflects the current and increasing levels/rate of virus spread.

Screenshot_4.jpg.e50f82236d7af48ca22d136aeae2ceef.jpg

as einstein would have put it, in a small region of spacetime,

no conceivable experiment can distinguish swedens death toll from achieved herd immunity, this is what one would expect

Screenshot (49).jpg

• Like 1

After Months of Minimal COVID-19 Containment, Sweden Appears to Be Considering a New Approach

Swedish authorities appear to be reconsidering their notoriously lax approach to COVID-19 containment, which has contributed to one of the world’s higher coronavirus death rates.

Starting Oct. 19, regional health authorities may direct citizens to avoid high-risk areas such as gyms, concerts, public transportation and shopping centers, the Telegraph reports. They may also encourage residents to avoid socializing with elderly or other high-risk individuals.

“It’s more of a lockdown situation—but a local lockdown,” Dr. Johan Nojd, who leads the infectious diseases department in the city of Uppsala, told the Telegraph.

https://time.com/5901352/sweden-local-lockdowns/

As White House eyes 'herd immunity,' Sweden's no-mask approach is failing to contain COVID-19

With infection rates now rising in Sweden — though not to the extremes of countries such as Spain, France, Belgium and the U.K. — the Swedish prime minister himself recently implored his countrymen to stop hugging and kissing their friends, and for youth to stop partying, all factors blamed for the uptick in cases to more than 600 a day, up from around 100 at summer’s end.

A country larger than California in size but with a mere 10 million residents, Sweden is the renegade country that’s turned into an internationally observed lab experiment in COVID-19 control. In the early days of the pandemic, the Swedish government was slammed for being reckless, even by Trump — refusing the lockdowns adopted by its Scandinavian neighbors and keeping most everything open, businesses, restaurants and schools (except for students older than 15, whose classes went online).

With nearly 6,000 deaths — about half of those in its eldercare facilities, where 7 percent of residents have died — the Swedish mortality rate (58.12 per 100,000), adjusted for population, is five times as high as neighboring Denmark’s (11.83 per 100,000), nearly 12 times as high as Norway’s (5.23 per 100,000) and only a little better than the U.S.’s (67.28 per 100,000). The country’s coronavirus infection rate also remains far higher — twice that of Denmark and three times as high as Norway’s, both of which encourage mask use. 

https://news.yahoo.com/as-white-house-eyes-herd-immunity-swedens-nomask-approach-is-failing-to-contain-covid-19-151813672.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Reuters data shows the pace of the pandemic continues to pick up. It took just 32 days to go from 30 million global cases to 40 million, compared with the 38 days it took to get from 20 to 30 million, the 44 days between 10 and 20 million, and the three months it took to reach 10 million cases from when the first cases were reported in Wuhan, China, in early January.

Record one-day increases in new infections were seen at the end of last week, with global coronavirus cases rising above 400,000 for the first time.

There were an average of around 347,000 cases each day over the past week, compared with 292,000 in the first week of October.

Yet the global daily deaths seems hover around 5,500 deaths for the past 6 months.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

56 minutes ago, scammed said:

stop lying and projecting,

i post updated statistics that demonstrate death rate are dropping in sweden,

you post cases that may well be the result of increased testing altogether. those who carry it in sweden arent harmed by the virus, which is to say herd immunity is achieved in sweden

The death rate is dropping, but the number of cases is rising.  And deaths tend to trail that rise by 2-4 weeks.

Sweden doesn't have herd immunity!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Stop posting incorrect information.  CV19 deniers point to Sweden as the holy grail.  It's been pointed out that they are way worse off than their nearest neighbors.  And yes, it's spiking again.  NOT dropping.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

no, they are 2nd best compared to the neighbors

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data?country=BEL~DNK~FRA~DEU~IRL~NOR~SWE

743097450_Screenshot(45).jpg.d42b9479e5ba7f9454e8064ca95e7c12.jpg

2 minutes ago, scammed said:

except death rate doesnt tend to trail numbers of cases in sweden, death has flatlined.

ed: i mean death due to covid has flatlined, death from all other sort if reasons continue business as usual,

so i expect death will go on as it has been doing for eternity,

so far there is no indication covid had any implication whatsoever,

despite what the drama queens will want you believe

Screenshot (49).jpg

Screenshot (48).jpg

Edited by scammed
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, PatrickC said:

If lockdowns worked so well, why has covid spread so far and wide globally?

Even in China, it keeps popping up. NZ and Vietnam it has popped back up as well. And Thailand - no real proof that it went away as no mass testing. 

I'm sorry but we're all over lockdowns. No more - we're done with them. Time to move on and give up on trying something that is just a waste of time and ruins the economy.

You're really extremely fixed on your views. That is clear. And you've the right to be. However we've also the right to oppose them, and it doesn't make up "grannie killers", "fascists" or whatever other accusations you want to sling at us. Throwing names at people with different opinions achieves nothing. Give it up.

New Zealand has had a highly successful lockdown. They have had a little flare up of 25 cases today which they should be able to target through tracing and get the numbers back down. If they had no lockdown who knows where they'd be. Likely a lot worse than 27 deaths. 

New Zealand is an island country,  with low population compared to crowded European cities etc, and most people supported a tough lockdown so it worked.

There's more evidence of masks being effective too. Czechia brought in masks early and got the cases down quickly but, since they stopped wearing them, cases have gone out of control.

I take your point that lockdowns have a huge cost. I am in Melbourne and from this Sunday we should be able to do most things with around 5 cases per day. It has worked but at a big cost. I personally think it's worth it.

Better to be in Melbourne than in Prague or in many European and US cities that are out of control. If Trump had've just gone all in 6 months ago, and made certain behaviour mandatory for a time e.g. masks,  instead of playing politics, they could've done a lot better, in my opinion.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Any more wild theories in your locker? Thais originated from another planet? Somtam acts as a vaccine?

Funnily enough Somtam and the fish intensive diet of Isaan is rich in vitamin D which is thought to be a major contributing factor in the immune system.Notice there are no reported Covid deaths in Laos and the Isaan region there are very few reported deaths.So it's quite possible that Somtam acts as a vaccine.

• Like 1

The Spanish flu was  widespread 90 years ago , people still remember it today but they are not afraid of it because the virus disappeared a few years later. 

Same will happen to COVID-19, we will remember it but it will not affect us 10 years from now!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Funnily enough Somtam and the fish intensive diet of Isaan is rich in vitamin D which is thought to be a major contributing factor in the immune system.Notice there are no reported Covid deaths in Laos and the Isaan region there are very few reported deaths.So it's quite possible that Somtam acts as a vaccine.

You get enough vitamin D from normal amounts of sunlight and a normal diet. Its been proved that, for most people,vitamin D supplements add nothing to you for Covid protection. Some people in the UK have been prosecuted for advertising vitamin D supplements as a prevention for Covid.

31 minutes ago, balo said:

The Spanish flu was  widespread 90 years ago , people still remember it today but they are not afraid of it because the virus disappeared a few years later. 

Same will happen to COVID-19, we will remember it but it will not affect us 10 years from now!  

Those of us that are still alive. Spanish flu killed 50 million people.

12 minutes ago, polpott said:

Those of us that are still alive. Spanish flu killed 50 million people

Yes it did, but we did not have social media back in 1920.   So we wouldn't know .   

People lived their lives almost like normal , they were more worried about getting food on the table than a virus. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes it did, but we did not have social media back in 1920.   So we wouldn't know .   

People lived their lives almost like normal , they were more worried about getting food on the table than a virus. 

Again untrue. It caused major fear and panic. Plenty of info on the internet.