GRAB ride in CM

SamSanuk

22 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

it was probably lost in translation

from you to her or from her to you

or maybe she doesn't understand very well your exact question

it's 25% for Grab and 75% for her, otherwise nobody should be interested to do the job

still a low price for the course indeed

Ahhh.....then OK with that. ????

• Like 1

About 3 years back my taxi in Ho Chi Minh called to say car broken down (call taken by one of my local students). 

Same student said 'do you want me to call a GRAB car?. All agreed car arrived 10 minutes later, young driver, 19 yo, out of the car in a second to take my brief case and get me comfortable.

Got his number, I call him on LINE before I leave Thailand, he meets me at Ton Son Naut airport, drives me everywhere.

His car (borrowed from his mum), in good order, so clean you can't believe. very pleasant young guy, clean and polite, always checks the pick up details, and he speaks advanced English. Cheaper than local taxis. 

• Like 1

GRAB has been great for CM. I use them whenever I go into town for drinks, I live a bit out of town. Much better than getting stopped at one of CM infamous drink driving checkpoints on the way home. 

Also, it's very difficult to describe where my destination is with my limited Thai and the impossible to pronounce street names in CM to a taxi or tuk tuk driver. Having it pinned on the GRAB app works wonders. 

Plus, it's cheap. 

• Like 2

I moved from CM to the Philippines.  One thing about Grab that I like here better than CM is the app also shows the color of the car, which makes it easier to spot.  Also many of the cars have a led sign in the window displaying the Grab logo.

There is a new app called InDriver in some cities in Thailand now. Most Grab drivers in Chiangmai use it as well. At least for the moment they do not charge any commission so the driver collects the full amount. Only cash payments allowed. It works by a bidding system where you can offer a fare. If the fare is too low then the app system will give the lowest fare allowed. After you input your destination drivers will submit their fare which will pop up on on your app screen together with the brand/model of your car and their distance from your location. This give you the option to choose a bigger car if you have a lot of luggage for example. The fares are around 20-40% cheaper than Grab.....For trips to Chiangmai airport Grab always charge about 3-4 times the normal fare for this distance but InDriver does not charge more to go the airport than for other locations. they offer offer motorcycle taxi fares and long distance car fares to other cities.

• Thanks 2

Grab here in BKK are frequently just a metered can, except charging more than the meter, unless you are in a tourist area.  Grab moto drivers are the new breed of Thai embiciles, gladly risking others' life and limbs for a pittance.  Only live near the main roads..otherwise it's dogs, rats, and nasty taxi people.  I have had several driving jobs in my lifetime, too.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

About 3 years back my taxi in Ho Chi Minh called to say car broken down (call taken by one of my local students). 

Same student said 'do you want me to call a GRAB car?. All agreed car arrived 10 minutes later, young driver, 19 yo, out of the car in a second to take my brief case and get me comfortable.

Got his number, I call him on LINE before I leave Thailand, he meets me at Ton Son Naut airport, drives me everywhere.

His car (borrowed from his mum), in good order, so clean you can't believe. very pleasant young guy, clean and polite, always checks the pick up details, and he speaks advanced English. Cheaper than local taxis. 

Would you be willing to share his number for when and if I ever get to go back to HCMC? 

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

Would you be willing to share his number for when and if I ever get to go back to HCMC? 

Yes if I can find it, I lost a work bag some months back including my mobile. I'll check for his number and post if I find it. 

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes if I can find it, I lost a work bag some months back including my mobile. I'll check for his number and post if I find it. 

Thank you. Too bad about losing contacts. In theory one can back up phone contacts to laptop, but this reminds me I haven't done it since I bought my current mobile phone. 

5 hours ago, Bangkok Basha said:
5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thank you. Too bad about losing contacts. In theory one can back up phone contacts to laptop, but this reminds me I haven't done it since I bought my current mobile phone. 

I'm very off topic here but, if the lost phone had an associated google account then logging into that google account on a browser to contacts.google.com will *usually* let you view/add/edit/delete them. Just saying.

I worked last year in this "gig" economy...driving and shopping -delivery......I would get paid a % to shop it and a % to deliver it...and they could tip.....this ALL counted as INCOME---including TIP, so I was TAXED on all of it and had to pay taxes on TOTAL income...sucked.....if they paid my tip in CASH that was right into my pocket and best, if they added it on app, usually that was income to be taxed....I quit cos I dogged my car out and had to replace brakes, etc, would be better with a burner car...also the customer had 3 Days to WITHDRAWAL or alter TIP...many would lure you in with a big tip, then change it after you delivered and left

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, RichCor said:

I'm very off topic here but, if the lost phone had an associated google account then logging into that google account on a browser to contacts.google.com will *usually* let you view/add/edit/delete them. Just saying.

I called the student who organized the Grab car the first time (this student is on staff at my old uni in VN).

The mother of the grab driver has withdrawn the car because she's concerned about maybe passengers leaving Covid 19 virus in the family car. 

Driver has gone back to uni to study manufacturing management.