I like living in Chiang Mai

BritManToo

Far as I'm concerned all Thai towns/ cities are as bad as each other. Had it been same cost to live on the islands I'd have done so, but they are too expensive, and retirement extensions seem even harder to get than in C M.

I lived in C M but only because it's cheaper than Pattaya, and anywhere in LOS is better than back home, IMO.

51 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

WHonestly hated the place. When I first came to thailand I found myself walking towards hua lamphong station and realising I could not understand a word that I heard as I walked through the bustle. When I was on CM all I heard were screechy yanks and all the restaurants were co run by westerners and I did not feel like I was in thailand. I enjoyed the hiking and all that stuff but the yank voices were just awful. Truly awful.

I met a lot of western tourists in C M and none of them were American. Every restaurant I used was staffed by Thais, so ownership is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

Does sticky rice cause you guys constipation?

It just seems so gluey.  

I sometimes eat like 1kg of riceberry in one sitting.  I'm afraid that if I eat that much sticky rice, my next dumpout won't come 'til COVID-119.

Agree, sticky rice is like quick-setting cement in my digestive system. I stick to noodles and pasta, plus plenty of vegetables and fruit. Rice very occasionally, unsticky.

My Thai GF eats sticky rice with the neighbors, then wonders why she's drinking a local herbal laxative every one or two days to get herself mobile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live in CM, and while it suffices my lifestyle very well, I hate the burning season that goes unabated every freaking year, with nothing done about it by the province governor.

If I hadn't settled here on a housing estate, I'd rather return to my Khanom paradise in Nak Sri Tham - Google it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

When I was on CM all I heard were screechy yanks and all the restaurants were co run by westerners and I did not feel like I was in thailand. I enjoyed the hiking and all that stuff but the yank voices were just awful. Truly awful.

I'm feeling your pain but, when were you here? Sorry in your 'pisstake' when do you claim to have been here? More yanks now than ever before , but not in the restaurant trade. Maybe that was back in Vietnam war days?! :biggrin: ... There you go.

Edited by LomSak27