I like living in Chiang Mai

BritManToo

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Agree, sticky rice is like quick-setting cement in my digestive system. I stick to noodles and pasta, plus plenty of vegetables and fruit. Rice very occasionally, unsticky.

My Thai GF eats sticky rice with the neighbors, then wonders why she's drinking a local herbal laxative every one or two days to get herself mobile.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.  If I recall correctly, you are the same person who, several months earlier, suggested eating bamboo as a low-calorie superfood (and a digestive enabler).  Sounds like you have your act together nutritionally. 

For inhabitants of Chiang Mai, perhaps the pollution serves as its own laxative.  Whatever it takes, I guess.

Happy dumping, everybody!

Edited by BananaBandit
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.  If I recall correctly, you are the same person who, several months earlier, suggested eating bamboo as a low-calorie superfood (and a digestive enabler).  Sounds like you have your act together nutritionally. 

For inhabitants of Chiang Mai, perhaps the pollution serves as its own laxative.  Whatever it takes, I guess.

Happy dumping, everybody!

Thank you. Other good foods which are natural laxatives are sweet corn and okra. Okra should not be cooked for more than two minutes, it goes slimy and horrible.

Sai ua ( Northern Thai herbal sausage ) works pretty well too.

I live in the Chiang Mai Province. Overall I like it here, but burning season is hell. Our daughter is 3.5 years old and goes to a private school nearby and that seems decent enough for now. At least she learns to communicate in Thai with other students, learns to play together, etc...

I like the mountain area, but I do miss the beaches at times.

Anyways ... due to the burning, at some point we'll have to move. And at this moment I'm considering Hua Hin. Probably decent air there, from what I've seen some decent affordable schools teaching English curriculum. If my daughter would pass through a school like that, she has more opportunities I believe, she can consider studying in Europe once she's 18 for example. 

But my GF does have a nice 3 rai farm here that she enjoys working on. Our house is pretty ok considering the cost (~40.000 EUR or so). People in our village are friendly. The hilly snake road between Chiang Mai and Chaiprakan is always a joy to drive. Overall it's pretty good. I certainly prefer life here over living in The Netherlands.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I've come to the view Chiang Rai is a better place for me now, have sussed out the good restaurants and food sources. Not that I am knocking Chiang Mai, I lived there for ten years. The bus and car trips to my GF's village got to be too tiresome. The 118 is a clusterf##k around Doi Saket, and through Phrae took an hour longer.

The private hospitals and dental clinics here are adequate, not as big a range.

Food is definitely cheaper in the markets, I pay less for pineapple, potato, carrots etc. Supermarkets are not as good as Rimping in terms of range.

I'll visit Chiang Mai every three to six months to meet friends and do various errands. IMO the condo I am in now is just as good as the one I had in Chiang Mai, and distinctly cooler.

Do you ever get bored there?

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I like the weather, the mountains, the lakes, jungle and waterfalls.

I am glad you like living in Lanna - I did for many years among the mountains near Wang Nua between Chiang Mai and Phayao off route 120. Beautiful scenery and always a nice drive to do major shopping in either Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai or Phayao. The southern resorts and beaches were never my "cup of tea".  

5 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Good point, mainland SEA is a dead zone for three months with pollution levels that make it "unlivable and dangerous". But it has been that way for centuries and until 2 years ago, expats and westerners were basically ignorant of that fact.  :thumbsup:

The burning season has been getting longer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

WHonestly hated the place. When I first came to thailand I found myself walking towards hua lamphong station and realising I could not understand a word that I heard as I walked through the bustle. When I was on CM all I heard were screechy yanks and all the restaurants were co run by westerners and I did not feel like I was in thailand. I enjoyed the hiking and all that stuff but the yank voices were just awful. Truly awful.

downsize_200k_v1-1.jpeg.64d8446dbd7fc529a274ece8da0a0c4d.jpeg

5 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Good point, mainland SEA is a dead zone for three months with pollution levels that make it "unlivable and dangerous". But it has been that way for centuries and until 2 years ago, expats and westerners were basically ignorant of that fact.  :thumbsup:

Pattaya never got smoked just a few years ago like it now does every year. It's most definitely gotten worse, thanks to the CP maize chicken feed burns in Myanmar, among others.

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

OK, which number is your plot , just so I know not the get the plot next door 

Off the top of my head I cannot remember,its in the safe,but that's not so

easy to get too, but no worries,i think all plots are in another area of

the cemetery 

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, rumak said:

After 20 plus years..... i have just started heading to the coast (thailand)  to get away for a month or two when the AQI  sucks here.    I will not give exact location ..........  sorry     lol

That is out plan this year. We have a condo in the south.. so hope by the pollution season comes in CM we can go down there ..and the virus restrictions may have deminished. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

......and he wonders why people think he’s a weirdo 

in person nobody talks with him.    on forums it takes some people a long time to figure that out .

Then again,  maybe they are in the same plot  boat.

didn't Beatles have a song.............

corpus christy
Picks up the rice in the soi number one
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window
Wearing the face that no one can see
Who is it for?   Worgeorgie ?

all the lonely people............. 

living to post on tv 

Edited by rumak