I like living in Chiang Mai

BritManToo

2 hours ago, fangless said:

I am glad you used the singular "box" as only one had a dialling tone when checked by a number of us today.  The other "Box" of THAT pair did not have a tone. 

Please also be aware that only one of the other pair of phone "boxes" on that area of the road had a dialling tone today and another a little in the opposite direction did not have a dialling tone either.!!!!

You are mistaken, there are only two phone boxes in that road , the only two phone boxes down that road are the ones I photographed 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

I was asking a question , I wasn't making a statement 

Oh sorry if I misunderstood your statement, sorry question as you put it but if you were asking if there was such a scene why were you asking in that way? 

Please pass on to everyone -

This is a bad place to live ! Do not come here - even for a visit !

Hope this keeps the numbers down as well as C-19 did !!! 555

Loving the peace and quiet - but I loved the noise and traffic too ! Makes you feel alive all that energy flowing. leastwise if you are not Rip Van Wrinkle, crawling along in your rut (of your own making I might add), spouting 'Doom and Gloom' to all and sunder. 

'I hate this'  'I hate that'

To Quote Merle - "If you don't like it - leave it '

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Please pass on to everyone -

This is a bad place to live ! Do not come here - even for a visit !

Hope this keeps the numbers down as well as C-19 did !!! 555

Loving the peace and quiet - but I loved the noise and traffic too ! Makes you feel alive all that energy flowing. leastwise if you are not Rip Van Wrinkle, crawling along in your rut (of your own making I might add), spouting 'Doom and Gloom' to all and sunder. 

'I hate this'  'I hate that'

To Quote Merle - "If you don't like it - leave it '

Whilst I fully appreciate your liking of the peace and tranquillity which the lack of tourists may provide, it does not put food into the stomachs of those who depend/depended on the past/present and hopefully future tourist trade. 

Many non tourist businesses and a small number of tourist businesses in CM are still open and are not closed for further business as certain naysayers keep posting with their frequently inaccurate photographs and misleading and argumentative comments.

I wish to state that CM is NOT dead and with the help of ALL in the local community I suggest CM can thrive again if we promote CM rather than deliberately try to degenerate it!

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Seems to me like a bunch of posters in this thread are not only tired of Chiang Mai, but tired of life.

The weather is really nice, all my windows and doors are open, just done 10Km on my bicycle, and downed my first wine cooler of the day.

Life just outside Chiang Mai is good.

Now do I have another cup of tea or another wine cooler ....... such hard decisions to make.

Spoken by someone with lotsacash and tactile entertainment. Some of us are not so lucky.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fangless said:

Whilst I fully appreciate your liking of the peace and tranquillity which the lack of tourists may provide, it does not put food into the stomachs of those who depend/depended on the past/present and hopefully future tourist trade. 

Many non tourist businesses and a small number of tourist businesses in CM are still open and are not closed for further business as certain naysayers keep posting with their frequently inaccurate photographs and misleading and argumentative comments.

I wish to state that CM is NOT dead and with the help of ALL in the local community I suggest CM can thrive again if we promote CM rather than deliberately try to degenerate it!

The point I have tried to make on this and other threads and areas is that this is the ideal opportunity to make the city better and provide a better environment for the residents and for tourists when they return. Nothing along those lines has apparently happened.

C M was an infrastructure disaster, IMO, before corona and apparently will still be the same disaster, IMO, after.

Will the red songtheaws stop ripping cutomers off, will the parking at the airport become better, will immigration see the light, will the council put on a show for New Year, will the night markets stop obstructing the street outside Pantip, will the night markets become worth visiting, will night life happen in C M or will bedtime still be at midnight, will the tourist tours become actual value for money? Time will tell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

provide a better environment for the residents and for tourists when they return.

C M was an infrastructure disaster, IMO, before corona and apparently will still be the same disaster, IMO, after.

1. I'm OK with tourists not returning.

2. I've never noticed anything wrong, usual Asian pavements.

Edited by BritManToo

I live about 25km outside the city.

Don't drink, so the bar scene means nothing to me.

Night Bazaar - sells the same things every market in the country sells, tourist trinkets. No interest to me.

I more or less live like a local. Asked the wife - born and raised here - when she last went to the night bazaar. Answer - never. When was she last downtown at night - same answer.

As far as ripoffs of any kint - taxi, tours, whatever. Educate yourself before arrival.

Or get that education here

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I live about 25km outside the city. Don't drink, so the bar scene means nothing to me. Night Bazaar - sells the same things every market in the country sells, tourist trinkets. No interest to me.

Ratio of normals to deviants now adjusted to 1.5 per 10,000.

~o:37;

Roman satirist Juvenal (ad c. 60–130), 'Rara avis in terris nigroque simillima cycno [A rare bird on this earth, like nothing so much as a black swan].

Bit of an adventure last night ....... mysterious noises in the bedroom, misses so frightened of ghosts she got up and went downstairs. I found the ghost, about 2 inches worth, running up and down the bedroom curtain rail. Opened the balcony door and it left.

Are you looking at me?

IMG_20201108_035223.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I live about 25km outside the city.

Don't drink, so the bar scene means nothing to me.

Night Bazaar - sells the same things every market in the country sells, tourist trinkets. No interest to me.

I more or less live like a local. Asked the wife - born and raised here - when she last went to the night bazaar. Answer - never. When was she last downtown at night - same answer.

As far as ripoffs of any kint - taxi, tours, whatever. Educate yourself before arrival.

Or get that education here

Hang on a minute... there is / was a bar scene in CM???

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 12:10 AM, falang1969 said:

Lived here 12 years and also love it apart from below, which absolutely ruins 3 months of the year and I become a virtual prisoner in my own home.....

Capture.JPG

need to find yourself a cute cellmate.......is what you do with your time if choosing to put oneself in "prison"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2020 at 10:32 AM, sharktooth said:

Hang on a minute... there is / was a bar scene in CM???

Yes, but on the TBL scale of bar scenes that runs from 1 to 10 it was about MINUS a hundred. I was a real fan of Thai bar beers, but the scene on Loi Kroh was so pathetic I stopped going after about three visits.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Wait another month and see how many people post how great CM is.  Unless the pollution has already rotted out your brain to where you can't think straight, you would know nearly half the year the air you breath is toxic and dangerous to your health so don't tell anyone that's not the case.

Of course there are a lot of facts people just won't accept and this is one of them.  If you're thinking of moving to CM visit first and do it after the 1st of the year.  More than likely you will only need a few days to see how bad it really gets before you decide this isn't for you. 

There is enough you have to deal with living here and adding some of the worst air pollution in the world is one thing you can and should avoid.  Believe me - it won't be any better this season and predictably it will even get worse.

• Thanks 1

I am not mocking people who really suffer from  the pollution but I do not understand why people keep harping on about CM pollution.  I have lived here for many years and it is a rare occasion when I even notice it and it never bothers me.
I can only assume that most of the people complaining about it already have breathing problems or are just super sensitive to it!

I really do like living here, especially given all the restrictions in our home countries with Covid 19.

Edited by fangless
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fangless said:

I am not mocking people who really suffer from  the pollution but I do not understand why people keep harping on about CM pollution.  I have lived here for many years and it is a rare occasion when I even notice it and it never bothers me.
I can only assume that most of the people complaining about it already have breathing problems or are just super sensitive to it!

I really do like living here, especially given all the restrictions in our home countries with Covid 19.

It's a rare occasion when you even notice it and it never bothers you? 

Seriously, check the map and make sure you actually live in CM because even someone who is blind would be able to determine how bad the air pollution gets. 

Also, you should be careful saying it never bothers you as there were five Marlboro guys who didn't think smoking was bad and all five died of smoking related illnesses.  Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jimgilly said:

It's a rare occasion when you even notice it and it never bothers you? 

Seriously, check the map and make sure you actually live in CM because even someone who is blind would be able to determine how bad the air pollution gets. 

Also, you should be careful saying it never bothers you as there were five Marlboro guys who didn't think smoking was bad and all five died of smoking related illnesses.  Just saying.

Why do people like you feel they have to attack those of us who are very content with our life in Chiang Mai? 

To tell me to "check the map and make sure you actually live in CM" is an asinine comment.  I know where I am living and I am enjoying it.

Each to there own.

PS; Are you living in CM at the moment?

• Thanks 1

Just now, jimgilly said:

Sorry to disagree with you but the only things I find asinine is someone posting they rarely notice the air pollution and it doesn't bother them.  This is obviously a false statement  claiming you rarely notice the pollution which I'm sure other people would be laughing if this wasn't such a serious matter.

You could, however be correct in your statement that most of the people complaining "already have breathing problems" and would you care to take a guess what the cause of their breathing problems are? 

Could it be the toxic air they have been breathing year in and year out or perhaps they were just all born with a respiratory disease?  Time to wake up from your denial of the facts but I know you have to justify being where you are and perhaps you are not in a position to move.

And no I don't live in CM.  I did for a number of years until I came to my senses and realized my health was more important than anything else and found a suitable location with breathable air.  I still occasionally  check the CM forum and unlike yourself, try to warn others that they should do some research and perhaps visit to see just how bad it gets before deciding to relocate.  You on the other hand can't face reality and could end up paying a high price for it. 

Just don't mislead others into your own dilemma which is exactly what you are doing by spreading false information.  I don't need to say anymore.  The pollution readings coming soon will say it all.

He only sees what he wants to see , sometimes seeing things that are not there and other times, not seeing things that are there