"The Stranded": Thaivisa highlights the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #1: Teachers

snoop1130

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd already paid for my holiday in March and nobody was offering me a refund if I didn't go.

Not to mention my permission to stay would have expired if I hadn't left.

I was in Siem Reap when I got a message from Air Asia at 5pm, Thai border closing at mid-night, your return flight next week is cancelled.

Got back in the country with 30 minutes to spare before the airport closed to international arrivals.

What would I have done if I hadn't managed to return?

Probably would have dumped my Thai family and mortgage, and set up a new home and family in Cambodia.

I'm not really one for sending money to people in foreign countries, for services I can no longer use.

So you chose the holiday over staying in Thailand because of losing out financially, now you blame who for being financially burdened because you can't get back to work?

You got evicted because you didn't want to pay the rent,  what did you expect?

Blame Thai Immigration why not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 8
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Sadly this campaign is not going to go anywhere the Thai government are so inept that 8 months later there are still 1,000s of Thais stranded abroad as there are so few repatriation flights , the last thing on the governments mind is dirty smelly disease carrying foreigners being allowed back into a country they classed as there adopted home.

You don't know what your talking about. As a comparison I can tell you that in Australia there are 30k Aussies desperate to get back but like Thailand they are limited to capacity eg how many people they can process per day 

By the way punters Australia is now sending all arrivals to tin miners sheds in the outback and returnees need to pay 2.5k$ for the pleasure. Thais have it better and it's free! 

Edited by madmen
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I think people were pushing their luck flights were getting cancelled well before the lockdown tourist having to stay extra days, 

Me and the wife had planned to go for 3 months holiday during low season, everyday I was thinking this is not looking good I had only booked one flight BKK to Istanbul watching the news daily and TVF had me thinking what would have been the worst case scenario, OK my wife could have got back to Thailand but not me I would have had 2 choices stay in Turkey or go back to the UK when I think back now better stay in Turkey lived on kebabs and cheap wine good coffee also.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd already paid for my holiday in March and nobody was offering me a refund if I didn't go.

Not to mention my permission to stay would have expired if I hadn't left.

I was in Siem Reap when I got a message from Air Asia at 5pm, Thai border closing at mid-night, your return flight next week is cancelled.

Got back in the country with 30 minutes to spare before the airport closed to international arrivals.

What would I have done if I hadn't managed to return?

Probably would have dumped my Thai family and mortgage, and set up a new home and family in Cambodia.

I'm not really one for sending money to people in foreign countries, for services I can no longer use.

Sounds like a quality relationship and ‘family’ you have there. Oh sorry, quality ‘services’ that you use. Wow

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Seventeen Thai universities have been listed in the World University Rankings 2021, with Chulalongkorn, Mae Fah Luang and Mahidol universities in the top 800. 

Top 800???????  I remember when I had to go to a school in the top 25 of my country, which probably put it in the top-100 in the world, easily.

JUST Checked:  In the top-40 in the world.  But I am smart... lol

Top 800?   OMG.   Actually, I knew this already.

And these are the BEST.....  lol

Edited by Ventenio