"The Stranded": Thaivisa highlights the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #1: Teachers

snoop1130

On 10/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, dimitriv said:

Nobody could have expected this. The only problem are the people who say that they knew that this would happen and blame others for not expecting this.

I used to travel overseas every month or two. It became pretty clear by late February that returning to Thailand might be a problem. Not wishing to take the risk of not being allowed back, I stayed put. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really a lot of false assumptions.

I had a flight from Europe to Thailand March 12. Till that date Covid was a Chinese disease, it was far away. Transmission was only between animals and humans. That was the news at that time. I arrived in Thailand and was able to swim once in the swimming pool at our condo before it closed. In a couple of days everything changed.

I do not remember that even once in history countries closed their borders for a flu like disease, cannot remember that airlines ever before cancelled all their flights. But you say it coming? ????

Nobody could have expected this. The only problem are the people who say that they knew that this would happen and blame others for not expecting this.

Sorry, but this is complete nonsense. You must have been living under a rock up until March 12 to believe this. The first cases in Thailand were confirmed in the middle of January, so it was absolutely not "a Chinese thing" up until mid-March. At the end of January, WHO declared the situation "an international health emergency", and everything escalated from there.

I was going to travel back to Europe at the end of February, but cancelled these plans weeks in advance because it was obvious that the situation was serious and that limitations on travel would be implemented – not to this extent, perhaps, but it was very clear that this wasn't just another flu.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:01 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Do not knock TV for this one.. Doing nothing achieves nothing. Doing something might succeed.

Good luck.

TYPICAL thai authorities most of time think us falrlangs are loaded with cash its about time they allowed farlangs to work here with no work permit just a background check needed so that us farlangs hanging on by a thread can get by its disgusting not allowing us to work to get some money in to get by with but to continuely fine us .

• Haha 1

Just a wild fleeting guess here @hottrader77

....possibly English?  Northern right?  Didn't by any chance vote Brexit, yes!!!!  And non too happy with those immigrants, correct?  Ooh I know you so well.

Read what you have written here then 5555.
Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal, please use the default forum font size when posting which is size 14.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:57 PM, 19DL86 said:

@Letseng

I m not on a "high horse" just stating the facts. If someone has put all their financial eggs in one basket with no means to withdraw those funds via an ATM or other such means, when outside of Thailand.  I see my statement regards no forethought and planning are correct.

Try argue that point?

Who says ppl have no money outside Thailand? Or all eggs in one basket? But did you never misjudge a situation ever?

On 10/17/2020 at 6:51 PM, Letseng said:

Who says ppl have no money outside Thailand? Or all eggs in one basket? But did you never misjudge a situation ever?

Those ppl (people) on here in the opening post, and further comments, those and the ones in the follow up #2 retirees have said this.  Complaining that they can't access their hard earned savings etc etc. 
So I was therefore under the assumption that this might be all they have, as otherwise why are they so concerned, frustrated and complaining about 400-800k THB if they have funds elsewhere?  
That was a reasonable logical assumption / interpretation on my part, or I would have thought.

Yes of course I have, but not since my forties!
Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal, please use the default forum font size when posting which is size 14.
  • Sad 1

Hi, Which category do I fall into after Teachers and Retirees please, I,m sure there are many like me, I have G/F from 8 years ago, I made her a  house on land I bought about 7 years ago, , ( all in her Name ) I come 2 times a year for a month or two ( 30 day exempt plus 30 day extra ) , I havnt been back since jan 2020 due to corona, My booking in June was cancelled,  Is there any hope of me and people like me getting over there soon ? Thanks.

16 hours ago, SteveMack said:

Hi, Which category do I fall into after Teachers and Retirees please, I,m sure there are many like me, I have G/F from 8 years ago, I made her a  house on land I bought about 7 years ago, , ( all in her Name ) I come 2 times a year for a month or two ( 30 day exempt plus 30 day extra ) , I havnt been back since jan 2020 due to corona, My booking in June was cancelled,  Is there any hope of me and people like me getting over there soon ? Thanks.

You're a Tourist so assuming you're under 50 years old your options are limited to STV (Am guessing your from Europe or US so expect a long, long, looonnnngggg wait) or Thailand Elite (min 500,000 THB but will get you a 5 year visa and other perks). 

Edit: It might be easier/quicker to get the GF to come see you for a holiday ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2020 at 6:30 PM, 19DL86 said:

Just a wild fleeting guess here @hottrader77

....possibly English?  Northern right?  Didn't by any chance vote Brexit, yes!!!!  And non too happy with those immigrants, correct?  Ooh I know you so well.

Read what you have written here then 5555.

Another assumptive southern england librarian , i meet them all the time , think they know it all correct ? bet you been in a pickle or 2 but dare not admit it as you know it all correct ? and you voted brexit then discovered that the pound dropped from 52 baht to 42 in 1 day , very not so smart choice eh ? i know you too well .

On 10/15/2020 at 9:09 PM, BritManToo said:

I'd already paid for my holiday in March and nobody was offering me a refund if I didn't go.

Not to mention my permission to stay would have expired if I hadn't left.

I was in Siem Reap when I got a message from Air Asia at 5pm, Thai border closing at mid-night, your return flight next week is cancelled.

Got back in the country with 30 minutes to spare before the airport closed to international arrivals.

What would I have done if I hadn't managed to return?

Probably would have dumped my Thai family and mortgage, and set up a new home and family in Cambodia.

I'm not really one for sending money to people in foreign countries, for services I can no longer use.

Very odd penultimate paragraph.

An interesting thread but a sad tale of lament. The person here seems to be coping but he seems determined and resourcefull and has a partner to share the burden. Not everyone has his qualities. However, I am not surprised given the low status of private language schools here which is unfair. The government could resolve this issue easily and the fact they don't is a warning to people about the frailty of their status here. As the Grateful Dead sang years ago after a surprise bust: 'When life seems like easy street there is danger at your door.'

The person in this story above does not mention a home country he could return to. Could that be enlarged upon?

Regarding the title of this new thread. Someone started a YouTube channel months ago about being stuck in Thailand called 'Stranded in Paradise.'

On 10/16/2020 at 3:26 AM, oompie69 said:

Couple of posters seem unable to make positive contributions to posts. They would rather make snide or denigrating remarks while not contributing one iota to resolving issues raised by members reaching out for help. It's regrettable, but I suppose they will always be with us. How else will they pass their time. 

You are correct. It is unclear why this forum attracts so many mean spirited people, many who seem to revel in other people's misfortune, and who frequently have a dislike of Thailand and the Thai people in common. It makes it all the more important for thoughtful, decent and rational people to contribute to the forum. Good luck.

Edited by Nout
  • Thanks 1

Really a lot of false assumptions.

I had a flight from Europe to Thailand March 12. Till that date Covid was a Chinese disease, it was far away. Transmission was only between animals and humans. That was the news at that time. I arrived in Thailand and was able to swim once in the swimming pool at our condo before it closed. In a couple of days everything changed.

I do not remember that even once in history countries closed their borders for a flu like disease, cannot remember that airlines ever before cancelled all their flights. But you say it coming? ????

Nobody saw this coming

• Like 1