"The Stranded": Thaivisa highlights the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #1: Teachers

snoop1130

11 hours ago, spoon1967 said:

Why would you leave Thailand when it was clearly risky, in March this year it was obvious that things might go "pear shaped" with respect to international travel.

And how come they were evicted? was the rent/services not being paid? That's the only reason a landlord would evict, any this could of easily been avoided - unless it was done purposely.

But hey, blame everyone else.

Not defending him, but I think the story was clear at least to me some critical thinking on my behave assume the rest?

He said he was working 7 days a week, needed the time off and didn't think the lock down was going to last 7 months.

Based on their age like many they didn't have enough saving reserve since it is indicated he is doing some part-time teaching and his wife online they are able to make expenses where they are but not enough to pay their rent in Bangkok? Sure based on other stuff we can second guess the decisions but I wouldn't assume it was done on purpose? Last, I don't think their story blames everyone it blames the Thai leaders for their inconsistent applications of their own rules which we all can agree at times isn't very thought out and seem backwards? We are all in the same boat why try to throw others overboard just to save yourself we are all human and make mistake I think even Thais would agree to that?????

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, StefanBBK said:

Reading all this I realize how fortunate I am.

I do live in Bangkok and normally work abroad. Currently living on reduced salary due to not being able to travel. At least I am with my family, safe and sound.

My hope is that soon the country (and the world) will open again, eventually it has to. 

Everybody, stay strong and never give up hoping for the best. Kudos to TV for raising awareness!

I'm married and trying to divorce but not easy thanks to immigration laws. And due to lack of knowledge of Thai laws didn't realize my new Thai gf could have serious problems made for her by my wife even though divorce was agreed upon. And my gf left me out of fear. I'm fighting to get divorced as fast as possible and to get her back. As she is damn near the perfect ideal life partner in my eyes. Again only reason she left me us fear of my wife under Thai laws. Not because of problems between us. We were beyond happy together. Point of my reply is that I'm happy for you that you are safe with your family while I'm fighting to get mine back. Being my gf that left me. Which I probably will after get my divorce but still a chance I won't. As took her long time to admit the truth to me and herself as to why she left me and started trying to find new. But after accepting the reality of everything wants us back together but also stuck as has other guys been talking to with intent to try to be with one of them. Which I understand her side as well. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I hope we aren't going to get a series of articles about people in different categories who can't get into Thailand because the borders are closed. Teachers, retirees, girlfriends, bar owners, education visa holders, investment visa holders, elite visa holders. This story was boring first time around.

This is how the story goes so nobody has to read it every day. 

"Those poor entitled people thought they could go to Thailand but after corona virus came they couldn't go there any more and have to wait in their own crappy country - normally a western country like the UK - a bit longer" end of story.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Even the Thai,s  are  sick of the  Gov  

Only  answer  is a new  Gov  .......Those generals  must go  Or China will eventually  own  Thailand 

One day   a revoltion  will  come to Thailand  people  can only  take  so much control then  they  explode (USA  could help )

Good  Luck Thailand  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

You are talking about presenting their legitimate concerns and frustrations to highly nationalistic people who distrust all non-Thais and are pretty much devoid of any semblance of compassion.  Thais in positions of leadership and power will see any vocal foreigner as a critic of Thai policy, and criticism of Thailand will just earn these "bad, disrespectful" foreigners more grief.  Thailand's response will more than likely simply to make a longer and deeper regulatory gauntlet for foreigners to wade through in order to gain entry.  Smart foreigners should probably reassess their reasons for wanting to enter and stay in Thailand in the first place.  Over the next years, roadblocks to entry as well as to stay will become the norm except for the vaunted 'wealthy tourist with status' as that really is the only factor that Thais appreciate.  Wealth and power will allow wealth and power to enter and stay.  All others??? 
Commoner need not apply.

And what do the Thai small businesses do for income which would normally come from tourists ,like road side food stalls places to have a drink 7/11, Family stores these are places the rich don't go to, everything has already been paid for in there country of origin. They don't go on a 2,3day glow cast letterour where there own accommodation has already been paid for.

I sit in a large hotel amongst then, They'll tell you of all the places they been to but very little of travel when they get their.  Rich people pay for lavish accommodation ( which has already been paid for in the country of origin but that's not helping the Thai community directly It helps to pay for submarines, tanks, helicopters, armed vehicles . As to where they are intended to be used.boggles the mind as all the surrounding  countries are apart of Asean. 

Edited by Percy P

1 hour ago, ryane66 said:

Thailand's birth rate is 1.53. You require a birth rate of 2.3 to sustain the population and economic growth.  Countries like Australia  and Canada actively encourage immigration to grow their economies.

The most short sided policy ever. Import millions of 3rd world immigrants to bolster grow today and deal with the inevitable problems in the decades to come.

Thailands economy may shrink but it's going to be a real blessing for the Thais who will be able to afford housing and live less congested lives. Compare that to US where we are under constant and permanent grow pressure and housing prices exploding year over year. US will be a 3rd world Latin American country in 50 years and Thailand will be better than ever.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

As someone who got stuck outside, I would say I have learnt a whole lot during the period.  

The article is a bit late though as now easing of restrictions is gathering pace rapidly and a lot of us have a route back, every if a buerocratic and expensive route. 

In what I hope is a retrospective view by myself, I don't blame Thailand for the lockdown or the initial restrictions. They had to be, still have to be, careful. We are not out of the fire by a long shot worldwide.

What did I learn?

a) I learnt Indian maids to Thai Indian families are more important to return to Thailand than a comparatively well off pensioner like myself. Even though Covid was running riot in India.

b) I realised that all my previous thoughts on lack of legal protections for asset ownership in Thailand were in fact true. I should have heeded my own thoughts on this. 

c) I learnt not to look for sympathy from expats not in my situation as they don't care.

d) I learnt not to trust a single word Thai government ministers utter.

e) I learnt that my belief that Thailand was the best place on the planet was seriously wrong.

f) I learnt that my belief that UK politics was less a goat <deleted> than Thai politics was wrong.

g) I learnt to try and live life by the day was something I should strive for even though I find it difficult.

h) And lastly, in the last few days, I learnt that some Thais at least do care about fairness and justness in their corrupt political system.  

I detest people like you

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Sadly this campaign is not going to go anywhere the Thai government are so inept that 8 months later there are still 1,000s of Thais stranded abroad as there are so few repatriation flights , the last thing on the governments mind is dirty smelly disease carrying foreigners being allowed back into a country they classed as there adopted home.

Not being unsympathetic to the situation Mr A finds himself in but I think ThaiVisa picked the wrong battle to open this "Campaign" with, if they wanted to garner public interest/sympathy to their cause it would have been better to start off with the large number of Retirees on Non-O's who have lived in Thailand for many years & are locked out living on family/friend's sofas (if their lucky) rather than a handful of Teachers who can't get back in (most can).

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, spoon1967 said:

Why would you leave Thailand when it was clearly risky, in March this year it was obvious that things might go "pear shaped" with respect to international travel.

And how come they were evicted? was the rent/services not being paid? That's the only reason a landlord would evict, any this could of easily been avoided - unless it was done purposely.

But hey, blame everyone else.

I had booked in January  to travel to England in June...I cancelled in March...

7 minutes ago, p414 said:

I booked in January to travel to England in May & let my airline (Qatar) cancel it on me (April 11th) so I would have no problems in getting a refund.

If i'd have cancelled it myself in March  would have lost the money (approx 70K) as it was I ended up with a voucher for flight cost + 10% good until April 2022. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, p414 said:

By early March it was clear travelling internationally would be a risk. I went to Cambo on business early March and took that risk, but I was fully aware that there was a possibility that borders would be closed and travel would be restricted.

The Thai CDCC had regular daily updates on the virus since mid-Feb. Border closures were mentioned on here in February as a potential measure to stop the spread of COVID-19 in Thailand.

Anyone saying they could not have foreseen what was going to happen is not well versed in risk management, sorry to say. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

I booked in January to travel to England in May & let my airline (Qatar) cancel it for me (April 11th) so I would have no problems in getting a refund.

If i'd have cancelled it myself in March  would have lost the money (approx 70K) as it was I ended up with a voucher for flight cost + 10% good until April 2022. 

Mike...Eva air informed me it would take up to 6 months to get a refund...

I had booked with master card and informed them of this...I got my full refund in 3 days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You make a valid point, and it made me think of something that hasn't been brought up yet, or at least I haven't seen it discussed, and that is that if all these foreigners come back, like a tick that gets dug in under the skin, they will be much harder to remove again in the future. This must be playing on the minds of those in charge here.

Seems to me this situation is a win-win for the Thai nationalists too. They get rid of a lot of the longer term expats and more will filter out in the future with the difficulties getting in and out taking their toll. Numbers will dwindle. Only the absolute essentials and those that are willing to put themselves through the ringer to get here will remain. 

After all, hasn't that been the game plan for a while now, to eliminate the longer stayers in favour of bigger-spending short term tourists? Long term visas have been increasingly difficult to get, categories narrowed down, over-stayers punished more severely and tourist visas and entry stamps restricted to those appearing to be living here perennially.

Folk saying the Thai government doesn't think or doesn't know what they are doing are dimwits. The Thais know exactly what they are doing and understand the repercussions for their actions only too well. 

Something to ponder especially if you have been directly affected by this.

One final point, and this is for those that read my posts and think I am being smug or enjoying the predicament of others. I most certainly am not. I am stating facts trying to get you to understand. If those facts are hard for you to deal with or accept, that's your problem. 

Agree. Even the people who were "stuck" IN Thailand on short term visas have been allowed "permanence" to stay so far (7 months and counting). A couple of my friends are in the op's position and while I sympathize, the authorities have to do what they feel is best for Thailand...not those who unfortunately find themselves outside the country.

• Like 1

Working 15 years in Thailand, but don't have enough savings to pay rent? 

Back in Canada my tenant moved out without any notice required by law and now I'm in the hole 700 bucks every month paying taxes and condo fees. I think I'll rant a bit on a Canadian forum and see how that goes. Oh right, no one cares. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You make a valid point, and it made me think of something that hasn't been brought up yet, or at least I haven't seen it discussed, and that is that if all these foreigners come back, like a tick that gets dug in under the skin, they will be much harder to remove again in the future. This must be playing on the minds of those in charge here.

Seems to me this situation is a win-win for the Thai nationalists too. They get rid of a lot of the longer term expats and more will filter out in the future with the difficulties getting in and out taking their toll. Numbers will dwindle. Only the absolute essentials and those that are willing to put themselves through the ringer to get here will remain. 

After all, hasn't that been the game plan for a while now, to eliminate the longer stayers in favour of bigger-spending short term tourists? Long term visas have been increasingly difficult to get, categories narrowed down, over-stayers punished more severely and tourist visas and entry stamps restricted to those appearing to be living here perennially.

Folk saying the Thai government doesn't think or doesn't know what they are doing are dimwits. The Thais know exactly what they are doing and understand the repercussions for their actions only too well. 

Something to ponder especially if you have been directly affected by this.

One final point, and this is for those that read my posts and think I am being smug or enjoying the predicament of others. I most certainly am not. I am stating facts trying to get you to understand. If those facts are hard for you to deal with or accept, that's your problem. 

Agree. Even the people who were "stuck" IN Thailand on short term visas have been allowed "permanence" to stay so far (7 months and counting). A couple of my friends are in the op's position and while I sympathize, the authorities have to do what they feel is best for Thailand...not those who unfortunately find themselves outside the country.