"The Stranded": Thaivisa highlights the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #1: Teachers

snoop1130

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

My condensed version is as follows dad died the 20/02 left in such a hurry that I did not realise my FCD account would be rendered useless from here

Return flight booked for 24/03 after funeral and probate started cancelled with rapidly expiring funds hell on earth to get your money back and court proceedings started

House on the market lockdown same day still for sale in a red hot market 7 months later applied for universal credit granted and made an habitual resident after 20 years

Started work last week haha same day not now needed redundant after 12 hours, Mrs low on funds and rent due 01/12 open a bank account here very easy the first bit of good news bought a ridiculously cheap car .

Planned to move into my mate of 20+ years house if ever sell it he was very keen but now says no and has even blocked me on facebook can't work that one out.

Heating here totally caput and winter is looming already got rid of everything here when I thought i was coming back so don't get out of bed much now ready meal king of the microwave as no pots and pans left either .

Anyone top this I need cheering up but still surviving just ????  

I lost my bottle opener  ????

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, 19DL86 said:
It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.  Some of those are the very same countries as those who are complaining right here of bring "stranded" ie Australia, New Zealand.

A fairly reasonable precaution one might add, given the total mess the UK and most of Europe has made of controlling Covid19.

What part of "Extension to stay" (as is granted each year to many in Non O) do people not understand?  There's no permenant right to reside on these visas. Anyone who intends or plans to settle here must surely do their research in advance, no?

To me living here 14 years, there are many "flags" to warn or illustrate the lack of permanency i.e. restrictions of ownership, dual/triple pricing, vocational restrictions. 

Anyone who has sold up "lock stock" in their home country, thus leaving them with no Exit Plan, nor have sufficient funds to sustain themselves, have not thought this through.

Setting up families at 65 years old or more, relying on a State pension and superficially high exchange rates 10-15 years ago, to be now living "day to day" in al out permenant denial of such essentials.

Many, many come here on a whimsical fantasy, a dream which all too often turns to a nightmare.  No planning, no for thought, no finances. Sad, but all too often the case.

simple: everywhere they do test a lot it is "a mess".

everywhere they don't test to much, it is not "a mess".

Just because: "no test, no COVID-19 infected found".

If you failed to understand this, so... what can we talk about ? nothing.

Also, compared to any other pandemic, this one is so little killer that we can start to thinking: "what's happen really in the world in the background ?".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 19DL86 said:
It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.  Some of those are the very same countries as those who are complaining right here of bring "stranded" ie Australia, New Zealand.

A fairly reasonable precaution one might add, given the total mess the UK and most of Europe has made of controlling Covid19.

What part of "Extension to stay" (as is granted each year to many in Non O) do people not understand?  There's no permenant right to reside on these visas. Anyone who intends or plans to settle here must surely do their research in advance, no?

To me living here 14 years, there are many "flags" to warn or illustrate the lack of permanency i.e. restrictions of ownership, dual/triple pricing, vocational restrictions. 

Anyone who has sold up "lock stock" in their home country, thus leaving them with no Exit Plan, nor have sufficient funds to sustain themselves, have not thought this through.

Setting up families at 65 years old or more, relying on a State pension and superficially high exchange rates 10-15 years ago, to be now living "day to day" in al out permenant denial of such essentials.

Many, many come here on a whimsical fantasy, a dream which all too often turns to a nightmare.  No planning, no for thought, no finances. Sad, but all too often the case.

You talk and talk and are to negative to Farang.... Looks like a Troll to me Mr Meekes. ????

• Haha 1

Hey nobody would really be prepared for a pandemic to flood the world, you just would not consider something of this Covid magnitude to come along 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ketyo said:

"Those poor entitled people thought they could go to Thailand but after corona virus came they couldn't go there any more and have to wait in their own crappy country - normally a western country like the UK - a bit longer" end of story.

I'd be suicidal if I were forced to live in the UK for longer than a week or two.

I'd probably end up buying a run down farm in rural France.

Stayed put, rode it out (still riding), only difference in my life is wearing a mask that I started wearing outside when I moved to BKK anyway. (Smog) I hear the whining, I read the stories and I wonder why? Guess I'm 1 of the lucky ones that chose to move here, didn't spend time and money jet setting around because I could, married a really nice, well educated Thai lady and have been pretty much happy for the last 20 years. :wai:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Try to imagine how rich you could be if you were able to predict this. Put options on airline shares on the stock market could have made you a millionaire.

But instead, our forecasters sit in their seats, glad they got home on time.

????????????, well put ... 

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd already paid for my holiday in March and nobody was offering me a refund if I didn't go.

Not to mention my permission to stay would have expired if I hadn't left.

I was in Siem Reap when I got a message from Air Asia at 5pm, Thai border closing at mid-night, your return flight next week is cancelled.

Got back in the country with 30 minutes to spare before the airport closed to international arrivals.

What would I have done if I hadn't managed to return?

Probably would have dumped my Thai family and mortgage, and set up a new home and family in Cambodia.

I'm not really one for sending money to people in foreign countries, for services I can no longer use.

So is a family only good as service staff for you because you have the wallet?
I hope i did misunderstand your comment...

• Like 1

It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.

No-one has claimed this has only happened in Thailand. Whether it happens elsewhere is irrelevant to this thread.

15 hours ago, 19DL86 said:

I wonder how many knew 10-15 years ago that the exchange rate was 'superficially high'. Those were the days of coups, international airport closure, riots, the centre of Bangkok blockaded, burning down of shopping centres etc, a time when any sensible person would think the currency would plummet. Who would have thought that the very opposite would happen? You? If so, I'd like you to be my investment advisor.

• Like 2

Some posts containing conspiracy theories and the replies have been removed. 

A post attempting to bring the Royal family into the discussion has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules will result in an immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mayhem11 said:

No one could have predicted the impact of the Covid19 crisis. This a one in hundred year event.

Exactly...that's why it's a little unfair to nit-pick and criticize the Thai authorities handling of the crisis. There is no handbook and all governments are wingin' it.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No-one has claimed this has only happened in Thailand. Whether it happens elsewhere is irrelevant to this thread.

I wonder how many knew 10-15 years ago that the exchange rate was 'superficially high'. Those were the days of coups, international airport closure, riots, the centre of Bangkok blockaded, burning down of shopping centres etc, a time when any sensible person would think the currency would plummet. Who would have thought that the very opposite would happen? You? If so, I'd like you to be my investment advisor.

Because the Thai baht had been gaining value all through the previous decade as well...ever since the recovery from the 1997 crash starting around 2002-03. Maybe they should have been familiar with developments in their own countries and how their currencies were over valued. 

• Sad 1

@bangkokbarry

Fair point Barry, and no I wasn't trying to be any financial whizz kid.  Rear view mirror predictions are an easy call.
The $€£ vs THB were at an all time highs in the early part of 2000s (TomYam Kung 1997 aside) - when non of those events you state were being run out. ie Bangkok burning, the Airports blockaded etc.  they came later in the decade, if my memory serves me well.
Sterling was artificially high $2.20 as too were many Western currencies until Lehmann Bros.
What I was trying to get over is that many many of us thought that those days would go on forever.  Many sold up and bought into the "Living the Life in Paradise" - which is fair enough, so long as you can sustain this through thick and thin.  Sadly not all of those did so.  
One could be excused for thinking buying a house makes it your home, that's not true condos aside.  The only place that is "home" is somewhere paid for, owned outright in your name and in a country where you are protected and have rights.  This IMHO isn't here in Thailand, but only your own native country are you afforded this.
Many folks failed to see the changing face on Thailand and the I.O and countless never spread their bets.
I retired in my late 40s and lived here 14 years,I have several properties in my own country creating an income plus capital growth, until a year or so I had rental properties here, but sold them off the last one in 2019.  I hold investments in equities, corporate bonds and other vehicles plus funds in the bank.  I can weather any storm.  Not being smug, glib or insensitive.  I done my research and covered all possibilities.
Many Digital Nomads and quasi/pseudo school teachers etc have come here eyes wide shut.....now they're paying the price.
Thse are unprecedented times no one could have foreseen, but after living as a foreigner for 30 years in a few different countries - you must always have a backup plan!!!

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Because the Thai baht had been gaining value all through the previous decade as well...ever since the recovery from the 1997 crash starting around 2002-03. Maybe they should have been familiar with developments in their own countries and how their currencies were over valued. 

How much have you made by anticipating currency changes and investing in your expertise?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mayhem11 said:

What utter <deleted>. No one could have predicted the impact of the Covid19 crisis. This a one in hundred year event. Benefit of hindsight me thinks.

No one who lives under a rock. International travel was heading for restrictions, anyone who didn't see that coming is a fool.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2