Jump to content

"The Stranded": Thaivisa highlights the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #1: Teachers


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ryane66 said:

Thailand's birth rate is 1.53. You require a birth rate of 2.3 to sustain the population and economic growth.  Countries like Australia  and Canada actively encourage immigration to grow their economies.

The most short sided policy ever. Import millions of 3rd world immigrants to bolster grow today and deal with the inevitable problems in the decades to come.

 

Thailands economy may shrink but it's going to be a real blessing for the Thais who will be able to afford housing and live less congested lives. Compare that to US where we are under constant and permanent grow pressure and housing prices exploding year over year. US will be a 3rd world Latin American country in 50 years and Thailand will be better than ever.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do not knock TV for this one.. Doing nothing achieves nothing. Doing something might succeed. Good luck.

It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.  Some of those are the very same countries as those who are complaining right here o

I think we're flogging a dead horse here.   Up to the Thais who they let in at the end of the day as harsh as it is for those trapped overseas.   Perhaps a wake up call to those of

Posted Images

12 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

As someone who got stuck outside, I would say I have learnt a whole lot during the period.  

 

The article is a bit late though as now easing of restrictions is gathering pace rapidly and a lot of us have a route back, every if a buerocratic and expensive route. 

 

In what I hope is a retrospective view by myself, I don't blame Thailand for the lockdown or the initial restrictions. They had to be, still have to be, careful. We are not out of the fire by a long shot worldwide.

 

What did I learn?

 

a) I learnt Indian maids to Thai Indian families are more important to return to Thailand than a comparatively well off pensioner like myself. Even though Covid was running riot in India.

b) I realised that all my previous thoughts on lack of legal protections for asset ownership in Thailand were in fact true. I should have heeded my own thoughts on this. 

c) I learnt not to look for sympathy from expats not in my situation as they don't care.

d) I learnt not to trust a single word Thai government ministers utter.

e) I learnt that my belief that Thailand was the best place on the planet was seriously wrong.

f) I learnt that my belief that UK politics was less a goat <deleted> than Thai politics was wrong.

g) I learnt to try and live life by the day was something I should strive for even though I find it difficult.

h) And lastly, in the last few days, I learnt that some Thais at least do care about fairness and justness in their corrupt political system.  

 

 

I detest people like you

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Sadly this campaign is not going to go anywhere the Thai government are so inept that 8 months later there are still 1,000s of Thais stranded abroad as there are so few repatriation flights , the last thing on the governments mind is dirty smelly disease carrying foreigners being allowed back into a country they classed as there adopted home.

Not being unsympathetic to the situation Mr A finds himself in but I think ThaiVisa picked the wrong battle to open this "Campaign" with, if they wanted to garner public interest/sympathy to their cause it would have been better to start off with the large number of Retirees on Non-O's who have lived in Thailand for many years & are locked out living on family/friend's sofas (if their lucky) rather than a handful of Teachers who can't get back in (most can).

 

 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, spoon1967 said:

Why would you leave Thailand when it was clearly risky, in March this year it was obvious that things might go "pear shaped" with respect to international travel.

 

And how come they were evicted? was the rent/services not being paid? That's the only reason a landlord would evict, any this could of easily been avoided - unless it was done purposely.

 

But hey, blame everyone else.

 

I had booked in January  to travel to England in June...I cancelled in March...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, p414 said:

I had booked in January  to travel to England in June...I cancelled in March...

 

I booked in January to travel to England in May & let my airline (Qatar) cancel it on me (April 11th) so I would have no problems in getting a refund.

 

If i'd have cancelled it myself in March  would have lost the money (approx 70K) as it was I ended up with a voucher for flight cost + 10% good until April 2022. 

 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, p414 said:

I had booked in January  to travel to England in June...I cancelled in March...

By early March it was clear travelling internationally would be a risk. I went to Cambo on business early March and took that risk, but I was fully aware that there was a possibility that borders would be closed and travel would be restricted.

 

The Thai CDCC had regular daily updates on the virus since mid-Feb. Border closures were mentioned on here in February as a potential measure to stop the spread of COVID-19 in Thailand.

 

Anyone saying they could not have foreseen what was going to happen is not well versed in risk management, sorry to say. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike Teavee said:

I booked in January to travel to England in May & let my airline (Qatar) cancel it for me (April 11th) so I would have no problems in getting a refund.

 

If i'd have cancelled it myself in March  would have lost the money (approx 70K) as it was I ended up with a voucher for flight cost + 10% good until April 2022. 

 

Mike...Eva air informed me it would take up to 6 months to get a refund...

I had booked with master card and informed them of this...I got my full refund in 3 days.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You make a valid point, and it made me think of something that hasn't been brought up yet, or at least I haven't seen it discussed, and that is that if all these foreigners come back, like a tick that gets dug in under the skin, they will be much harder to remove again in the future. This must be playing on the minds of those in charge here.

 

Seems to me this situation is a win-win for the Thai nationalists too. They get rid of a lot of the longer term expats and more will filter out in the future with the difficulties getting in and out taking their toll. Numbers will dwindle. Only the absolute essentials and those that are willing to put themselves through the ringer to get here will remain. 

 

After all, hasn't that been the game plan for a while now, to eliminate the longer stayers in favour of bigger-spending short term tourists? Long term visas have been increasingly difficult to get, categories narrowed down, over-stayers punished more severely and tourist visas and entry stamps restricted to those appearing to be living here perennially.

 

Folk saying the Thai government doesn't think or doesn't know what they are doing are dimwits. The Thais know exactly what they are doing and understand the repercussions for their actions only too well. 

 

Something to ponder especially if you have been directly affected by this.

 

One final point, and this is for those that read my posts and think I am being smug or enjoying the predicament of others. I most certainly am not. I am stating facts trying to get you to understand. If those facts are hard for you to deal with or accept, that's your problem. 

Agree. Even the people who were "stuck" IN Thailand on short term visas have been allowed "permanence" to stay so far (7 months and counting). A couple of my friends are in the op's position and while I sympathize, the authorities have to do what they feel is best for Thailand...not those who unfortunately find themselves outside the country.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Working 15 years in Thailand, but don't have enough savings to pay rent? 

 

Back in Canada my tenant moved out without any notice required by law and now I'm in the hole 700 bucks every month paying taxes and condo fees. I think I'll rant a bit on a Canadian forum and see how that goes. Oh right, no one cares. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You make a valid point, and it made me think of something that hasn't been brought up yet, or at least I haven't seen it discussed, and that is that if all these foreigners come back, like a tick that gets dug in under the skin, they will be much harder to remove again in the future. This must be playing on the minds of those in charge here.

 

Seems to me this situation is a win-win for the Thai nationalists too. They get rid of a lot of the longer term expats and more will filter out in the future with the difficulties getting in and out taking their toll. Numbers will dwindle. Only the absolute essentials and those that are willing to put themselves through the ringer to get here will remain. 

 

After all, hasn't that been the game plan for a while now, to eliminate the longer stayers in favour of bigger-spending short term tourists? Long term visas have been increasingly difficult to get, categories narrowed down, over-stayers punished more severely and tourist visas and entry stamps restricted to those appearing to be living here perennially.

 

Folk saying the Thai government doesn't think or doesn't know what they are doing are dimwits. The Thais know exactly what they are doing and understand the repercussions for their actions only too well. 

 

Something to ponder especially if you have been directly affected by this.

 

One final point, and this is for those that read my posts and think I am being smug or enjoying the predicament of others. I most certainly am not. I am stating facts trying to get you to understand. If those facts are hard for you to deal with or accept, that's your problem. 

Agree. Even the people who were "stuck" IN Thailand on short term visas have been allowed "permanence" to stay so far (7 months and counting). A couple of my friends are in the op's position and while I sympathize, the authorities have to do what they feel is best for Thailand...not those who unfortunately find themselves outside the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...