"The Stranded": Thaivisa highlights the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #1: Teachers

snoop1130

Many Expats leave Thailand in February or March to get away

from the horrific Air Quality at that time of year. Quite a few

go to Vietnam. These people got caught with the border closure

even though many have wives, children and homes in Thailand.

But, because they are " foreigners " they become ignored by those

in power. THESE " foreigner Thais " Should get Re Entry priority before

ANY Chinese tourist does. They certainly dropped the ball with This one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 19DL86 said:
It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.  Some of those are the very same countries as those who are complaining right here of bring "stranded" ie Australia, New Zealand.

A fairly reasonable precaution one might add, given the total mess the UK and most of Europe has made of controlling Covid19.

What part of "Extension to stay" (as is granted each year to many in Non O) do people not understand?  There's no permenant right to reside on these visas. Anyone who intends or plans to settle here must surely do their research in advance, no?

To me living here 14 years, there are many "flags" to warn or illustrate the lack of permanency i.e. restrictions of ownership, dual/triple pricing, vocational restrictions. 

Anyone who has sold up "lock stock" in their home country, thus leaving them with no Exit Plan, nor have sufficient funds to sustain themselves, have not thought this through.

Setting up families at 65 years old or more, relying on a State pension and superficially high exchange rates 10-15 years ago, to be now living "day to day" in al out permenant denial of such essentials.

Many, many come here on a whimsical fantasy, a dream which all too often turns to a nightmare.  No planning, no for thought, no finances. Sad, but all too often the case.

I work for a company that needs people to travel overseas - and with the exception of North Korea I'm not aware of another country that is impossible to enter legally?

Yes, there's a 14 day quarantine requirement plus testing for many countries, but if you can get a valid visa through the normal processes, it's possible.

But our main barrier to travel is the uncertainty of getting back in to Thailand.

The myth of a COVID free country is what's causing the issues.  With porous borders and the less than 100% secure quarantine systems (are we really sure no hotel staff ever come into contact with 'interns') means that no country is truly COVID free.

Let's be honest here, the North Korean style entry restrctions are 'convenient' under the current political situation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, spoon1967 said:

Why would you leave Thailand when it was clearly risky, in March this year it was obvious that things might go "pear shaped" with respect to international travel.

And how come they were evicted? was the rent/services not being paid? That's the only reason a landlord would evict, any this could of easily been avoided - unless it was done purposely.

But hey, blame everyone else.

18 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I think we're flogging a dead horse here.

Up to the Thais who they let in at the end of the day as harsh as it is for those trapped overseas.

Perhaps a wake up call to those of use that think they have any sort of permanence here.

The government and banks have your money and property now. Your screwed. Case closed. NEXT!

Dimitriv!

Medical scientists said some 4-5 years ago:

"The question is not IF there will be a pandemic.

The question is WHEN, because it will come."

And of course, nobody payed attention to this warnings!

Cheers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crazykopite said:

8 months later there are still 1,000s of Thais stranded abroad as there are so few repatriation flights

This is out of date. There are at least 10 airlines now authorised to fly to Bkk, so there is no problem for Thais (or farangs) to get flights If they can get a COE

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spoon1967 said:

Why would you leave Thailand when it was clearly risky, in March this year it was obvious that things might go "pear shaped" with respect to international travel.

And how come they were evicted? was the rent/services not being paid? That's the only reason a landlord would evict, any this could of easily been avoided - unless it was done purposely.

But hey, blame everyone else.

Well said.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

It's not BS. I had planned a trip to UK  in early March, leaving on the 11th. The plan was to meet my wife in Bahrain and travel on from there. 

Thy whole story was developing throughout February, first in Iran and then in Italy. It was all over the news. Towards the end of February I was watching the news closely every day and my wife and I had many discussions about what to do. 

It was around this time that many countries started implementing travel restrictions on certain nationalities. This was a concern to me as Bahrain had restrictions on Thais entering the country, and we'd planned to layover there and rest up before onward travel to the UK. I was contacting the airline frequently to get updates. 

My own country Saudi Arabia, started barring entry to travellers from certain countries, and this became more of an issue than Bahrain as I was now worried about getting back into Saudi. 

In the end I pulled the plug around the 5th of March, one week before the planned trip. Cancelled everything. Ended up around £600 down which I consider a great result considering what could have happened. 

It was obvious to me by that point the way things were going. Having followed the story closely over the past weeks, seen the spread across the world, cases appearing everywhere. I knew this was going to be a big thing. 

That's not me being smug, that's just my experience. Maybe I have too much free time and always had Sky news on in the background, but I was well aware of what was going on. Anyways Saudi Arabia closed all borders around the 14th of March and only opened up again last month in a limited way. 

I consider myself very lucky to have a job and only have lost £600.

This topic was from February 25th:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1150042-uae-bans-citizens-from-travelling-to-thailand-kuwait-suspends-flights/page/24/?tab=comments#comment-15107600

This topic was from March 5th:
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1151863-canceling-travel-plans/?do=findComment&comment=15129333

It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2020 at 8:18 PM, mrfaroukh said:

6 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

That’s the thing, it does matter why they left and anyone without a sense of entitlement would have seen what was going on. No, I would never put myself in such a silly position 

Was it silly to fly to Europe on February 7 with a return flight on April 6/7?
Was it silly to stay to assist my 90+ years old mother instead of flying back 2 weeks earlier assuming borders will close and flights be cancelled?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

FYI, can you list me those airlines. Thanks in advance

From the UK website. I think it’s up to date:

The list of airlines with flight permits to carry passengers to Thailand

Foreigners who wish to go to Thailand can fly only with the following airlines: 

- Thai Airways International : tickets can be purchased online at https://www.thaiairways.com/  or send email to [email protected]  if you already have tickets or vouchers.

- EVA Air

- Emirates

- Etihad

- Qatar Airways

- Singapore Airlines

- Lufthansa

- Austrian Airlines

- Swiss Air

- KLM

- Air France

- Cathay Pacific

Passengers can buy tickets directly from the airlines' websites or through travel agencies.

4 hours ago, spoon1967 said:

"needed the time off and didn't think the lock down was going to last 7 months." Plenty of places to go in Thailand for "time off", he didn't expect the lockdown to last 7 months........, but still took the risk, 3, 5, 7 months, what does it matter.  

Complains about eviction, when he refused to pay his rent as he wasn't using the property, yeh, blame the landlord. 

Bravo, see you just needed a bit of a push from me to get your thinking cap on when you did it is obvious you already knew the answers but I know you just want to bitch slap the guy around for making the wrong decision.

Now since I help you already let me help you with this?  He wasn't blaming the Landlord and he didn't refuse to pay his rent the reality he just couldn't afford to pay rent where he is stuck and continue to pay the rent in Bangkok thus the reason when it was time he had friends move his things out.

Curious he did make the wrong decision to take a holiday now what should he have done with the information you got to continue paying his rent?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

From the UK website. I think it’s up to date:

The list of airlines with flight permits to carry passengers to Thailand

Foreigners who wish to go to Thailand can fly only with the following airlines: 

- Thai Airways International : tickets can be purchased online at https://www.thaiairways.com/  or send email to [email protected]  if you already have tickets or vouchers.

- EVA Air

- Emirates

- Etihad

- Qatar Airways

- Singapore Airlines

- Lufthansa

- Austrian Airlines

- Swiss Air

- KLM

- Air France

- Cathay Pacific

Passengers can buy tickets directly from the airlines' websites or through travel agencies.

Thanks I was just curious as to whether Eva would show up?  Funny when it comes to Eva I know that they are operating flights for example SFO to TPE but their Transit area is completely close thus the reason they cancel a friend (Thai wife) flight recently to BKK, TPE was as far as she could go and told her to contact the Thai Embassy in L.A. and go through the proper channel of getting back to Thailand?