"The Stranded": Thaivisa highlights the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #1: Teachers

snoop1130

2 hours ago, AlfonsV said:

Was it silly to fly to Europe on February 7 with a return flight on April 6/7?
Was it silly to stay to assist my 90+ years old mother instead of flying back 2 weeks earlier assuming borders will close and flights be cancelled?

No it wasn't silly!  See human nature people think short term that short term is everyone has or should make the same decision they do. But never realize <deleted> happens no human can always be right but some really think they can until it happens to them.

I had a friend like many of the poster here telling everyone " I tell you exactly what you need to do " things don't happen to him.  One day I got a call from one of his friends telling me he got mugged.

I know how you feel, I was lucky late January I made my trip back to the States each year Chinese New Year just for two weeks no longer since I also have a Thai family here with a recovering wife with cancer. When I got to the States there was only 1 reported case in the entire country didn't even consider wearing a mask return Feb 5th, thereafter we all know what happened.  Major reason I go is to see my mother she is 102 soon 103 even before the virus I dread waiting for that call now if it happens I won't even be able to bury her properly. Even before the Virus I hated the Chinese communist government now I wish they were able to drop a bomb right in the government house the next time they have their meeting.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Bravo, see you just needed a bit of a push from me to get your thinking cap on when you did it is obvious you already knew the answers but I know you just want to bitch slap the guy around for making the wrong decision.

Now since I help you already let me help you with this?  He wasn't blaming the Landlord and he didn't refuse to pay his rent the reality he just couldn't afford to pay rent where he is stuck and continue to pay the rent in Bangkok thus the reason when it was time he had friends move his things out.

Curious he did make the wrong decision to take a holiday now what should he have done with the information you got to continue paying his rent?

I'm not in it to bitch slap anyone around, I assure you.  We both seem to have the same opinion on the curiosity of the decision making here.

If it was me, and I had put "myself" in that situation, I'd be bitch slapping me, not having a go at the Thai Government or my landlord.

This isn't the school yard, it's real life - be a man and stand by your own decision making, be that wrong or not, that's all I want to see happening.  I spent 18 years in the military and made some errors of judgement in that time, you learn, you move on.

I wish the guy (and others) all the best sincerely, but don't blame others for self inflicted sittiations.

31 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

I'm not in it to bitch slap anyone around, I assure you.  We both seem to have the same opinion on the curiosity of the decision making here.

If it was me, and I had put "myself" in that situation, I'd be bitch slapping me, not having a go at the Thai Government or my landlord.

This isn't the school yard, it's real life - be a man and stand by your own decision making, be that wrong or not, that's all I want to see happening.  I spent 18 years in the military and made some errors of judgement in that time, you learn, you move on.

I wish the guy (and others) all the best sincerely, but don't blame others for self inflicted sittiations.

I think we agree that it wasn't a wise decision but never the less the decision was made. I also agree I'm a person who preaches take responsibility for your action because I'm also a believer if you put yourself in a situation most likely that situation will happen?

Regardless, I'm just trying to point out aside from the military and your discipline point of view we are human as human we make mistakes it is clear to me in the interview article he regrets the decision he doesn't blame the Thai government for his situation what he is expressing is the inconsistent application of being repatriate back to Thailand when Private and Government school teachers are on the list and although he carries the same Visa he being a language teacher for a private company for 15 years as noted in my prior post anyone who don't think the Thai government policy aren't inconsistent and well thought out might have their head in the sand?

As for the rent maybe I'm missing something I don't see from the interview he was complaining or refusing to pay I think it is pretty clear to me and you now he wasn't able to pay rent on both ends. Without knowing more or talking to him we can only assume what attempt he made to keep up the rent we can second guess him as to what he should have done since Bangkok is his home?  Maybe sell his car if possible and provide some guarantee to the owner contact family or borrow etc.

When I use the phrase bitch slapping to me that is exactly what it is not a good term I'm sure he has done a lot of slapping to himself but that is what it seems to me you are doing since your stance is so strict and straight forward although it is clear you do have compassion for others in this situation. I agree the damage is done I believe he has learn and plans to move on and in his interview he isn't complaining he just wants some help to get back to Thailand and that doesn't mean kick him in the backside on his way out the door this isn't the military and I'm in no way knocking it but as you noted this is the real world?

Edited by thailand49
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

From the UK website. I think it’s up to date:

The list of airlines with flight permits to carry passengers to Thailand

Foreigners who wish to go to Thailand can fly only with the following airlines: 

- Thai Airways International : tickets can be purchased online at https://www.thaiairways.com/  or send email to [email protected]  if you already have tickets or vouchers.

- EVA Air

- Emirates

- Etihad

- Qatar Airways

- Singapore Airlines

- Lufthansa

- Austrian Airlines

- Swiss Air

- KLM

- Air France

- Cathay Pacific

Passengers can buy tickets directly from the airlines' websites or through travel agencies.

I chose Emirates on the specific recommendation of the london Embassy (at the time I booked only Emirates were allowed)

I would advise checking actual departure records on flightradar before booking. If the airline cancels, you have to rebook ASQ etc all over again

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 8:47 PM, 19DL86 said:
It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.  Some of those are the very same countries as those who are complaining right here of bring "stranded" ie Australia, New Zealand.

A fairly reasonable precaution one might add, given the total mess the UK and most of Europe has made of controlling Covid19.

What part of "Extension to stay" (as is granted each year to many in Non O) do people not understand?  There's no permenant right to reside on these visas. Anyone who intends or plans to settle here must surely do their research in advance, no?

To me living here 14 years, there are many "flags" to warn or illustrate the lack of permanency i.e. restrictions of ownership, dual/triple pricing, vocational restrictions. 

Anyone who has sold up "lock stock" in their home country, thus leaving them with no Exit Plan, nor have sufficient funds to sustain themselves, have not thought this through.

Setting up families at 65 years old or more, relying on a State pension and superficially high exchange rates 10-15 years ago, to be now living "day to day" in al out permenant denial of such essentials.

Many, many come here on a whimsical fantasy, a dream which all too often turns to a nightmare.  No planning, no for thought, no finances. Sad, but all too often the case.

What does most of your bitterly unsympathetic rant have to do with the situation this poor guy finds himself in? Sweet <deleted> !

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed, again.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

I still have a valid return flight for one of those mentioned airlines, a valid re-entry permit and a comfortable rented condo. The obstacle is the "non-immi O" which worked during a decade but not now - and the expensive quarantine hotel with reported unpleasant meals instead of home quarantine with strict control what is possible, if...

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There is no risk to your gf under Thai law, men are allowed as many women as they can afford.

Being able to go after her for money and all that. I thought it only applied to me that she could go after but apparently it's also the girl too. 

3 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

Why the heck dont they allow people with thai folks to take home quarantine and have the certificate sent by mail ????  Hamburg consulate is closed since March 2020.

WBR

Roobaa01

Because, human nature being what it is, many people will break a home quarantine.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AlfonsV said:

I still have a valid return flight for one of those mentioned airlines, a valid re-entry permit and a comfortable rented condo.

People holding "extension of stay" permission, and who have left Thailand with a re-entry permit, are not on the list of people who may apply for entry to Thailand. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SunsetT said:

What does most of your bitterly unsympathetic rant have to do with the situation this poor guy finds himself in? Sweet <deleted> !

@sunsetT
Well if you need me to explain this you are either so naively and incredulously ill -informed, or so stupid to be unable to grasp anything that I , or for that matter the ten's of the other TVF members have tried to put over. 

I ll try again. It's all about planning, and taking note of the various warnings that were well documented at that time. Not "rantings" as you say. But there was official information given out by Embassies and Airlines.  I had friends cancel trips in mid March because they weren't stupid, winging it or total chances. But properly committed, retirees with plans, strategies and funds invested here in property etc etc.

But no doubt you are one of those foolish, carefree people who don't take notice of things of this order, and that's why you attack my comments. Which by the way, I ve never once debunked, ridiculed, criticized or mocked anyone of these do called "the stranded".

However now you have got me on this topic:-

Sensationalist alarmist and self- victimizing pap!!

SunsetT Define "Stranded" for me please?  - as most seem only to be "stranded" in their home countries unable to return to their places of work, temporary residence and /or in legal terms no more than a "holiday home" as anyone in a Non O will agree. As no one other than those very few with a PR status can claim otherwise.

Now this thread along with a similar one criticizing Thailand's choices of allowing "Elite Visa" members in over a swathe of other would be applicants.  Why?

Is it not a nations choice who they let in during a Global Pandemic!?!?  After all isn't this  exactly what won the Brexit vote?  Control over your borders, a Sovereign State!!! Well, isn't Thailand doing just that?

Listen, I m no great fan of most of the items this country tries to implement, (nor Brexit) and especially the Immigration issues and requirements.  If you had any fkin idea, or if you had spent any considerable time here, you wouldn't need me lecturing you on this.

TiT - This is Thailand, their rules! Their country.  End of that one, please reply - but I very much doubt you can, nor will.
Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal, please use the default forum font size when posting which is size 14.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I think we agree that it wasn't a wise decision but never the less the decision was made. I also agree I'm a person who preaches take responsibility for your action because I'm also a believer if you put yourself in a situation most likely that situation will happen?

Regardless, I'm just trying to point out aside from the military and your discipline point of view we are human as human we make mistakes it is clear to me in the interview article he regrets the decision he doesn't blame the Thai government for his situation what he is expressing is the inconsistent application of being repatriate back to Thailand when Private and Government school teachers are on the list and although he carries the same Visa he being a language teacher for a private company for 15 years as noted in my prior post anyone who don't think the Thai government policy aren't inconsistent and well thought out might have their head in the sand?

As for the rent maybe I'm missing something I don't see from the interview he was complaining or refusing to pay I think it is pretty clear to me and you now he wasn't able to pay rent on both ends. Without knowing more or talking to him we can only assume what attempt he made to keep up the rent we can second guess him as to what he should have done since Bangkok is his home?  Maybe sell his car if possible and provide some guarantee to the owner contact family or borrow etc.

When I use the phrase bitch slapping to me that is exactly what it is not a good term I'm sure he has done a lot of slapping to himself but that is what it seems to me you are doing since your stance is so strict and straight forward although it is clear you do have compassion for others in this situation. I agree the damage is done I believe he has learn and plans to move on and in his interview he isn't complaining he just wants some help to get back to Thailand and that doesn't mean kick him in the backside on his way out the door this isn't the military and I'm in no way knocking it but as you noted this is the real world?

thailand49

One of the best responses I have ever read on any thread here.

Well presented., thank you.

11 hours ago, brian2f2f said:

I'm married and trying to divorce but not easy thanks to immigration laws. And due to lack of knowledge of Thai laws didn't realize my new Thai gf could have serious problems made for her by my wife even though divorce was agreed upon. And my gf left me out of fear. I'm fighting to get divorced as fast as possible and to get her back. As she is damn near the perfect ideal life partner in my eyes. Again only reason she left me us fear of my wife under Thai laws. Not because of problems between us. We were beyond happy together. Point of my reply is that I'm happy for you that you are safe with your family while I'm fighting to get mine back. Being my gf that left me. Which I probably will after get my divorce but still a chance I won't. As took her long time to admit the truth to me and herself as to why she left me and started trying to find new. But after accepting the reality of everything wants us back together but also stuck as has other guys been talking to with intent to try to be with one of them. Which I understand her side as well. 

oh boy !

10 hours ago, 19DL86 said:
@sunsetT
Well if you need me to explain this you are either so naively and incredulously ill -informed, or so stupid to be unable to grasp anything that I , or for that matter the ten's of the other TVF members have tried to put over. 

I ll try again. It's all about planning, and taking note of the various warnings that were well documented at that time. Not "rantings" as you say. But there was official information given out by Embassies and Airlines.  I had friends cancel trips in mid March because they weren't stupid, winging it or total chances. But properly committed, retirees with plans, strategies and funds invested here in property etc etc.

But no doubt you are one of those foolish, carefree people who don't take notice of things of this order, and that's why you attack my comments. Which by the way, I ve never once debunked, ridiculed, criticized or mocked anyone of these do called "the stranded".

SunsetT Define "Stranded" for me please?  - as most seem only to be "stranded" in their home countries unable to return to their places of work, temporary residence and /or in legal terms no more than a "holiday home" as anyone in a Non O will agree. As no one other than those very few with a PR status can claim otherwise.

Now this thread along with a similar one criticizing Thailand's choices of allowing "Elite Visa" members in over a swathe of other would be applicants.  Why?

Is it not a nations choice who they let in during a Global Pandemic!?!?  After all isn't this  exactly what won the Brexit vote?  Control over your borders, a Sovereign State!!! Well, isn't Thailand doing just that?

Listen, I m no great fan of most of the items this country tries to implement, (nor Brexit) and especially the Immigration issues and requirements.  If you had any fkin idea, or if you had spent any considerable time here, you wouldn't need me lecturing you on this.

TiT - This is Thailand, their rules! Their country.  End of that one, please reply - but I very much doubt you can, nor will.

Class.

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 12:58 PM, snoop1130 said:

Now we would like to highlight their situations and intend to present their legitimate concerns and frustrations to the Thai authorities so that injustices might be addressed. We can but try.

I have been trying to contact someone in authority in Thailand regarding the issue of COE for a long time.  If you are able to contact someone who will not just smile, say they will pass the matter up and bin it as soon as you leave their office, would you be kind enough to also point out the ridiculous information that was being given out by the Thai Embassy in London (and others I believe) earlier this year, if nothing else they may be embarassed to know how stupid they've made Thailand appear.

I am fortunate in that I am married to a Thai and therefore eligible for a COE.  To be honest I was put off by the extortionate cost that would be entailed with visiting my wife and we decided that she would visit me in the UK - after being apart for over 5 months!  However, when making enquiries as to how I could visit I was given some crazy information.

Contacting the embassy was very difficult and when I finally did I was told that yes, I could make a COE application and return to Thailand. I asked how I should go about that and was told that I needed to book a flight and an ASQ hotel before my application would be considered.  Thinking all was well and I'd been penciled in as a returnee, I asked what date I should book for.  I was told to "just book a flight and hotel"! Several times I replied, "what date, which airline?" - same reply each time. How the hell can you book a flight without a date?

As I mentioned, I gave up for other reasons but I heard of a few other guys who did book flights and hotels. They may have been able to change the hotel booking later but quite what they did about the flight, I don't know.  The result of that was that ASQ hotels were full up with fake bookings and those who were given their COE then found that when they tried to change their dates to those given by the embassy, there were no rooms available.

I accept that we are in unprecendented times but it really is not that difficult.  There are people who need to travel, they need a flight and somewhere to quarantine. How difficult is it to issue them with a date to fly, give them 24 hours to confirm they'd been able to book a flight and hotel and when they do - issue the COE?  The Thai authorities on this occasion turned a simple matter into a damned nightmare.

There were a lot more problems than that and I understand that its still a nightmare getting a COE - perhaps some of those still trying would care to comment.

During your discussions it would also be helpful if you could explain to the Thai authorities that not everyone is a stranded expat trying to return.  Some of us live apart from our wives and visit regularly - in my case every eight weeks.  I can assure them that my street is not 'paved with gold' I cannot afford to shell out over £5000 every time I want to visit my wife.  Some of the guys who were 'stranded' may just shrug their shoulders and accept it as a 'one off'.  Covid, is going to be with us for a while yet, my wife goes home this weekend, do I have to wait another 5 months to see her?

The quarantine is the killer, if they can't let us 'home quarantine' (even with an electronic tag), why can they not let our wives and families join us in quarantine on day one?  They need to come up with some form of procedure for us 'regular visitors' - how many offshore workers have been unable to see their wives and kids?

Edited by KhaoYai

5 hours ago, spoon1967 said:

I think you've got me all wrong, and as for compassion, I have young children in Thailand, I can enter no problem but then I would not be able to return to my country of work, and would lose my job. hence I would not be able to continue the current financial support I consider to be essential, over and above a short break.

I'm not the one initially partitioning blame, I'm defending the fact that others are blaming others (Thailand) for their own current situation.

Your "evictions" paragraph, is totally irrelevant, if you refuse to pay the rent - you get evicted, maybe you should show some compassion for the landlord and his family.

Most of the world were aware in March that things could go wrong, I was in Thailand on the 13th, and headed back to work a week early, it was so obvious things had the potential to go wrong.

What part of a global pandemic do some people not understand.

I don't think I've got you wrong at all! Why do you think that having  young children in Thailand makes you a compassionate person? And "I can enter no problem" shows that you are merely using them as an excuse - a reason why you should be allowed back in and others who don't have children shouldn't be!

If you read my "evictions" paragraph (as you call it) properly, you will see that the relevance is in the fact that the rent HAD been paid  - up front for 10 (TEN!) years, and the landlord was in effect charging rent twice, so no, I am afraid I do not have any sympathy for the landlord and his family!!! 

And I am afraid that yout last two sentences only show your arrogance, and not in the least compassionate:- 

"it was so obvious things had the potential to go wrong. What part of a global pandemic do some people not understand."

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

thailand49

One of the best responses I have ever read on any thread here.

Well presented., thank you.

Thanks but the Thanks really goes to you for having a open mind and listening it isn't a matter of being right or wrong sometimes it is just listening and thank you for your 18 years of service which is why I have the right to speak freely.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 8:47 PM, 19DL86 said:
It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.  Some of those are the very same countries as those who are complaining right here of bring "stranded" ie Australia, New Zealand.

A fairly reasonable precaution one might add, given the total mess the UK and most of Europe has made of controlling Covid19.

What part of "Extension to stay" (as is granted each year to many in Non O) do people not understand?  There's no permenant right to reside on these visas. Anyone who intends or plans to settle here must surely do their research in advance, no?

To me living here 14 years, there are many "flags" to warn or illustrate the lack of permanency i.e. restrictions of ownership, dual/triple pricing, vocational restrictions. 

Anyone who has sold up "lock stock" in their home country, thus leaving them with no Exit Plan, nor have sufficient funds to sustain themselves, have not thought this through.

Setting up families at 65 years old or more, relying on a State pension and superficially high exchange rates 10-15 years ago, to be now living "day to day" in al out permenant denial of such essentials.

Many, many come here on a whimsical fantasy, a dream which all too often turns to a nightmare.  No planning, no for thought, no finances. Sad, but all too often the case.

Alot of us DO plan. Did you type your response from a thai golf course? You too are enjoying the exploitation of cheap eats and fun in thailand.  So why not us?? 

On 10/15/2020 at 10:33 AM, MRToMRT said:

As someone who got stuck outside, I would say I have learnt a whole lot during the period.  

The article is a bit late though as now easing of restrictions is gathering pace rapidly and a lot of us have a route back, every if a buerocratic and expensive route. 

In what I hope is a retrospective view by myself, I don't blame Thailand for the lockdown or the initial restrictions. They had to be, still have to be, careful. We are not out of the fire by a long shot worldwide.

What did I learn?

a) I learnt Indian maids to Thai Indian families are more important to return to Thailand than a comparatively well off pensioner like myself. Even though Covid was running riot in India.

b) I realised that all my previous thoughts on lack of legal protections for asset ownership in Thailand were in fact true. I should have heeded my own thoughts on this. 

c) I learnt not to look for sympathy from expats not in my situation as they don't care.

d) I learnt not to trust a single word Thai government ministers utter.

e) I learnt that my belief that Thailand was the best place on the planet was seriously wrong.

f) I learnt that my belief that UK politics was less a goat <deleted> than Thai politics was wrong.

g) I learnt to try and live life by the day was something I should strive for even though I find it difficult.

h) And lastly, in the last few days, I learnt that some Thais at least do care about fairness and justness in their corrupt political system.  

All points are true.  C/ lack of empathy from other expats (already in Thailand) is spot on sadly.  

1 hour ago, sucit said:

Anyone who left knew what could happen. You folded just live with the consequences.

That depends. If you booked several months before, in 2019, and got your flight on February 7 - you couldn't have any idea about the consequences.

9 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Alot of us DO plan. Did you type your response from a thai golf course? You too are enjoying the exploitation of cheap eats and fun in thailand.  So why not us?? 

@bkktodd. No I hate golf!!
Did you type this response from a Witherspoons in Halifax?
What a totally unthought through comment.  Enjoying the "Exploitation" of cheap eats and fun. Deary, deary me. Lol.

So why me and not you?  Because I didn't leave here, was that a rhetorical question you posed?
Edited by metisdead
Oversize bold font reset to normal, please post with the default forum font size which is size 14.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

I don't think I've got you wrong at all! Why do you think that having  young children in Thailand makes you a compassionate person? And "I can enter no problem" shows that you are merely using them as an excuse - a reason why you should be allowed back in and others who don't have children shouldn't be!

If you read my "evictions" paragraph (as you call it) properly, you will see that the relevance is in the fact that the rent HAD been paid  - up front for 10 (TEN!) years, and the landlord was in effect charging rent twice, so no, I am afraid I do not have any sympathy for the landlord and his family!!! 

And I am afraid that yout last two sentences only show your arrogance, and not in the least compassionate:- 

"it was so obvious things had the potential to go wrong. What part of a global pandemic do some people not understand."

I may be the one that has you wrong, I thought you were educated for a moment there, I can't be right all the time.

All your ridiculous comments make no sense at all, you've turned this into a personal issue, not an adult discussion.  I deal in facts not fiction, I'd advise not to comment on things you obviously have limited knowledge of.

I'm not going to explain in more detail, it would be pointless. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 19DL86 said:
@sunsetT

Another mostly irrelevant and venomous rant/lecture with a few insults and wrong assumptions about me thrown in! What a wonderful chap you are. Im so glad not to know you.

"Is it not a nations choice who they let in during a Global Pandemic!?!?" ...

....Yes it is but Thailand is supposedley a Buddhist nation and is totally lacking in the compassion on which their religion is based. Good on you mate you've found the perfect country for you to live in.

• Haha 1

I am one of the many retirees stranded after leaving Thailand just before Pandemics started. It is something we expected but never this long and also never to be treated the way Government is treating us despite the fact we fully owned a condo and lived there for so many  years. I personally lived there 15 years.Once we were all welcomed and encouraged to invest on a property and retire in Thailand. Now we are unwanted. We trusted Thai Government and chose to buy our primary residence and retire there. What we heard until now is nothing positive. As far as the Visa goes it seems the Government is telling us "forget about coming back to Thailand unless you are prepared to invest more." 

It is a pity and I am sure this problem will be focused on by so many countries Government and it will be not only criticized but condemned. 

I hope there will be inhumane decisions to be made by Thai Government soon. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, dimitriv said:

Nobody could have expected this. The only problem are the people who say that they knew that this would happen and blame others for not expecting this.

The only "expectation" that is in question here is that of those that think they should be assisted by those that they continually slag off.

The majority on this forum think that freedom of speech is their entitlement, then start complaining when the government start pulling the strings on their freedoms. Unfortunately everyone gets caught up in the fallout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Another mostly irrelevant and venomous rant/lecture with a few insults and wrong assumptions about me thrown in! What a wonderful chap you are. Im so glad not to know you.

"Is it not a nations choice who they let in during a Global Pandemic!?!?" ...

....Yes it is but Thailand is supposedley a Buddhist nation and is totally lacking in the compassion on which their religion is based. Good on you mate you've found the perfect country for you to live in.

Much as I thought a pile of tripe. You couldn't put a constructive retort together. What has religion to do with the politics or immigration requirement? - when dealing with non Thais being allowed into their country from other states where the pandemic is rampant. Buddhism  is about tolerance not incompetence, surely. I m an atheist so no idea!!
Thailand isn't a "perfect country" but I m happy with my choice as a second home and to remain here, seems so to might those " Stranded".