"The Stranded": Thaivisa highlights the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand: #1: Teachers

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do not knock TV for this one.. Doing nothing achieves nothing. Doing something might succeed. Good luck.

It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.  Some of those are the very same countries as those who are complaining right here o

I think we're flogging a dead horse here.   Up to the Thais who they let in at the end of the day as harsh as it is for those trapped overseas.   Perhaps a wake up call to those of

Posted Images

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

My condensed version is as follows dad died the 20/02 left in such a hurry that I did not realise my FCD account would be rendered useless from here

Return flight booked for 24/03 after funeral and probate started cancelled with rapidly expiring funds hell on earth to get your money back and court proceedings started

House on the market lockdown same day still for sale in a red hot market 7 months later applied for universal credit granted and made an habitual resident after 20 years

Started work last week haha same day not now needed redundant after 12 hours, Mrs low on funds and rent due 01/12 open a bank account here very easy the first bit of good news bought a ridiculously cheap car .

Planned to move into my mate of 20+ years house if ever sell it he was very keen but now says no and has even blocked me on facebook can't work that one out.

Heating here totally caput and winter is looming already got rid of everything here when I thought i was coming back so don't get out of bed much now ready meal king of the microwave as no pots and pans left either .

Anyone top this I need cheering up but still surviving just 🤔  

I lost my bottle opener  😭

• Sad 1
13 hours ago, 19DL86 said:
It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.  Some of those are the very same countries as those who are complaining right here of bring "stranded" ie Australia, New Zealand.

A fairly reasonable precaution one might add, given the total mess the UK and most of Europe has made of controlling Covid19.

What part of "Extension to stay" (as is granted each year to many in Non O) do people not understand?  There's no permenant right to reside on these visas. Anyone who intends or plans to settle here must surely do their research in advance, no?

To me living here 14 years, there are many "flags" to warn or illustrate the lack of permanency i.e. restrictions of ownership, dual/triple pricing, vocational restrictions. 

Anyone who has sold up "lock stock" in their home country, thus leaving them with no Exit Plan, nor have sufficient funds to sustain themselves, have not thought this through.

Setting up families at 65 years old or more, relying on a State pension and superficially high exchange rates 10-15 years ago, to be now living "day to day" in al out permenant denial of such essentials.

Many, many come here on a whimsical fantasy, a dream which all too often turns to a nightmare.  No planning, no for thought, no finances. Sad, but all too often the case.

simple: everywhere they do test a lot it is "a mess".

everywhere they don't test to much, it is not "a mess".

Just because: "no test, no COVID-19 infected found".

If you failed to understand this, so... what can we talk about ? nothing.

Also, compared to any other pandemic, this one is so little killer that we can start to thinking: "what's happen really in the world in the background ?".

• Like 2
14 hours ago, 19DL86 said:
It's not only Thailand whom have closed their borders to non citizens, many nations have imposed such restrictions.  Some of those are the very same countries as those who are complaining right here of bring "stranded" ie Australia, New Zealand.

A fairly reasonable precaution one might add, given the total mess the UK and most of Europe has made of controlling Covid19.

What part of "Extension to stay" (as is granted each year to many in Non O) do people not understand?  There's no permenant right to reside on these visas. Anyone who intends or plans to settle here must surely do their research in advance, no?

To me living here 14 years, there are many "flags" to warn or illustrate the lack of permanency i.e. restrictions of ownership, dual/triple pricing, vocational restrictions. 

Anyone who has sold up "lock stock" in their home country, thus leaving them with no Exit Plan, nor have sufficient funds to sustain themselves, have not thought this through.

Setting up families at 65 years old or more, relying on a State pension and superficially high exchange rates 10-15 years ago, to be now living "day to day" in al out permenant denial of such essentials.

Many, many come here on a whimsical fantasy, a dream which all too often turns to a nightmare.  No planning, no for thought, no finances. Sad, but all too often the case.

You talk and talk and are to negative to Farang.... Looks like a Troll to me Mr Meekes. 🙄

• Haha 1

I am in Thailand 3 months at a time. 6 months per year. This year I decided to go to America sooner than usual. Thank goodness.

But just dumb luck.

Best wishes to those who haven't had dumb luck.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, 19DL86 said:

Hey nobody would really be prepared for a pandemic to flood the world, you just would not consider something of this Covid magnitude to come along 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ketyo said:

"Those poor entitled people thought they could go to Thailand but after corona virus came they couldn't go there any more and have to wait in their own crappy country - normally a western country like the UK - a bit longer" end of story.

I'd be suicidal if I were forced to live in the UK for longer than a week or two.

I'd probably end up buying a run down farm in rural France.

Stayed put, rode it out (still riding), only difference in my life is wearing a mask that I started wearing outside when I moved to BKK anyway. (Smog) I hear the whining, I read the stories and I wonder why? Guess I'm 1 of the lucky ones that chose to move here, didn't spend time and money jet setting around because I could, married a really nice, well educated Thai lady and have been pretty much happy for the last 20 years. :wai:

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Try to imagine how rich you could be if you were able to predict this. Put options on airline shares on the stock market could have made you a millionaire.

But instead, our forecasters sit in their seats, glad they got home on time.

🤣🤣🤣, well put ...