O-A Extension of Stay and eligibility for COE Application.

In my case I apply (I filled in a Declaration form) for a COE based on retirement extension. I am married and that made everything possible. Many years ago I started with a Non O-visa retirement, that of course changed to an extension. As some one says many embassies are not familiar with 'extensions of stay”. When I called RTE Stockholm they ask me what kind of ViSA I had and when it expires. I told them 6 th of december and in my passport I read Non O visa. Ok you are OK for a COE but we want more documents. I don't have to apply for a new Visa. So, I applied for COE and that is what you should start with. It took 4 days after I had applied and they send E-mail back, that everything was OK. 5 weeks after that they called me about the flight.  And now I am here in Chiangmai.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

He has an extension of stay based on an original OA visa. I think that would fall under the O-A visa provision. But should confim with the embassy.

Well of course the Visa is well expired as it waas issued in 2017... but some weeks ago I thought I read a post where someone claimed they got a CofE with circumstances like that.

37 minutes ago, JanPeder said:

In my case I apply (I filled in a Declaration form) for a COE based on retirement extension. I am married and that made everything possible. Many years ago I started with a Non O-visa retirement, that of course changed to an extension. As some one says many embassies are not familiar with 'extensions of stay”. When I called RTE Stockholm they ask me what kind of ViSA I had and when it expires. I told them 6 th of december and in my passport I read Non O visa. Ok you are OK for a COE but we want more documents. I don't have to apply for a new Visa. So, I applied for COE and that is what you should start with. It took 4 days after I had applied and they send E-mail back, that everything was OK. 5 weeks after that they called me about the flight.  And now I am here in Chiangmai.

Thanks for your report.  It clarifies 2 issues:

1 - Applying for the COE with a still valid permission to stay (kept 'alive' with a Re-Entry Permit) from a 1-year extension is accepted.  So no need to apply for a new Visa > you simply mention the Visa type (Non Imm O or Non Imm O-A) hand-written on the 1-year permission to stay stamp and the expiry date of that permission.

2 - Your valid Non Imm O Visa/Extension does not need to be based on marriage to be eligible for the COE. You simply need to provide the evidence of being married to a Thai national when applying for the COE when on a valid Non Imm O Visa/Extension.

Edited by Peter Denis

Can anyone confirm which one in the drop down box for the COE registration form I should enter. 

There is no option for a “long term visa”

Below are the options:853904F6-3462-45B2-B5E3-042E6FD7A472.thumb.png.bc8ddcb97605cf5be005685d5e9d55d4.png

4B530F9C-33A7-4EA7-BF65-1C4600BE4187.png

Edited by Kadilo

23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know the result. Be sure when you upload your passport pages to include both the original O-A visa and the extension page

Yes, please let us know the result.  I plan to go out of Thailand early next year, then return with my valid extension of permission to stay based on an original OA visa.  If I'm required to apply all over again for a new OA, it will be very difficult and almost a deal-breaker.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think I would use the last one on the list. image.png.395b7c08b9083718f9259d4228f7f8de.png

It seems they are not keeping it updated when they add additional reasons.

Thank you very much. 

That was going to be my choice. Even though it does not totally fit, it’s the only one that comes close. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Even though it does not totally fit, it’s the only one that comes close. 

Thanks for alerting me to this thread from my other similar question. Sorry if I missed something, but I get the impression you are applying for a COE based on retirement? I didn't think that category was allowed in yet and one needs to be part of a Thai family which has a pull down menu option? What type Special Arrangement would you come under?

2 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Thanks for alerting me to this thread from my other similar question. Sorry if I missed something, but I get the impression you are applying for a COE based on retirement? I didn't think that category was allowed in yet and one needs to be part of a Thai family which has a pull down menu option? What type Special Arrangement would you come under?

Long stay Visa Holder  - O-A based on retirement. 

You can now apply if you are in this category. (See my Very first post)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JTXR said:

Yes, please let us know the result.  I plan to go out of Thailand early next year, then return with my valid extension of permission to stay based on an original OA visa.  If I'm required to apply all over again for a new OA, it will be very difficult and almost a deal-breaker.

I think the Insurance alone makes an OA visa a non starter, the premiums are excessive to say the least with minimal coverage, also read the fine print, just another way to harness dollars from desperate foreigners trying  to return to the land of smiles, for retirees  OA is finished, O is the new norm, but you cannot get back into the country with an O, wait a couple of months and tourist visa's should be back on, then obtain an O in country, and some reasonably priced health Insurance, forget the above if you have deep pockets, obtaining an OA, COE, FTF, Flight, ASQ, will easily set you back 100,000baht ouch!.

3 minutes ago, Polaky said:

I think the Insurance alone makes an OA visa a non starter, the premiums are excessive to say the least with minimal coverage, also read the fine print, just another way to harness dollars from desperate foreigners trying  to return to the land of smiles, for retirees  OA is finished, O is the new norm, but you cannot get back into the country with an O, wait a couple of months and tourist visa's should be back on, then obtain an O in country, and some reasonably priced health Insurance, forget the above if you have deep pockets, obtaining an OA, COE, FTF, Flight, ASQ, will easily set you back 100,000baht ouch!.

If you do have foreign/international insurance that meets the (ridiculously low) 400K/40K in/out patient coverage AND your insurer is willing to fill in/sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate you won't have to subscribe to any IO-approved health-insurance policy (now required when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa).  Alterntively you can also subscribe to the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy (with 200K deductible) which meets the IO criteria.  That policy sells for an annual premium of 6.000 to 11.400 THB in the age categories of 51 to 75 years. 

Imo applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country - even with the annoying but easily achieved insurance requirement - is still very worthwhile.  This because the Non Imm O-A Visa will provide you with 2 years of IO hassle-free stay in Thailand and does not require you to park/transfer any funds in a Thai bank-account during those 2 years.

>> PM me if you are interested in receiving a comprehensive guideline document on how to meet the IO-approved health-insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.

I applied for the COE as per discussion and attached my expired Visa, current valid extension of stay and re entry permit along with my Thai health insurance certificate. 

I applied at the weekend and all submitted ok and got my 6 digit ref number and when checked said it was I Rer consideration and being processed. Yesterday I checked again and got this on my screen see below)

I am not sure if that means it was rejected and wiped off the system or there has been an error somewhere. I have had no correspondence to say it was rejected. I emailed them for clarification and as yet, have had no response either way

Anyone else had any experience of this? 

A785421B-63ED-4ADE-9226-33F3F089BA87.png

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

I applied for the COE as per discussion and attached my expired Visa, current valid extension of stay and re entry permit along with my Thai health insurance certificate. 

I applied at the weekend and all submitted ok and got my 6 digit ref number and when checked said it was I Rer consideration and being processed. Yesterday I checked again and got this on my screen see below)

I am not sure if that means it was rejected and wiped off the system or there has been an error somewhere. I have had no correspondence to say it was rejected. I emailed them for clarification and as yet, have had no response either way

Anyone else had any experience of this? 

A785421B-63ED-4ADE-9226-33F3F089BA87.png

There was an issue over the weekend, and data was lost, i saw on another forum, the same message, the advise was to register again (my info was partially dropped i had to redo on Monday)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, howerde said:

There was an issue over the weekend, and data was lost, i saw on another forum, the same message, the advise was to register again (my info was partially dropped i had to redo on Monday)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I will reapply based on what you have told me. Many thanks. 

• Like 1