What will happen if you get suspended sentence, will you be deported?

Hi!

Does anyone know what will happen to a foreigner in Thailand if they get suspended sentence?

3 years ago my boyfriend was accused of stealing, the stuff was less than 500 baht. He didn't mean to steal it and has prove that it was misunderstanding.

The immigration police came to arrest him at our apartment and he was put in the cell for 2 nights. Fast forward to 6 months later during that time we had to go to court to hear the accusation.

We went to court for trail and the judge told us if he admitted the penalty will be 2 years suspended sentence which I'm not sure if it will effect his Visa or will it get him deported.

He has work permit so we are so scared that it will effect it. He didn't plea guilty and the next hearing for the verdict is next month. We don't know what should we do if they found him guilty.

If this suspended doesn't effect his visa or get him deported we are fine with that because we fed up with coming to court but if it does effect his visa and his stay we will summit an appeal.

which I'm pretty sure it will take a really long time. He doesn't want to leave Thailand, he has a new life here now. He has a job and friends. If you have any suggestion or have been through

the same situation please advise. Thank you

• Haha 1

A suspended sentence is handed down in a case where you plead or are found guilty. That means, he will have a criminal record in Thailand, unfortunately.

I am aware of two cases where someone went to court and got a suspended sentence and a fine. In both cases they were for drink driving. In neither case was the person deported, nor was there any effect on their visa - and life continued for them just the same as it had before the court case. Each of these cases was 5 or 6 years ago.

Edited by mstevens
  • Thanks 1

I need somebody a foreigner got caught stealing like a candy bar or something or like a big c or  Tesco He said sorry paid for it nothing happened if your boyfriend was caught stealing something you want to just settle it by paying for whatever it was even if it was by accident and then nothing would’ve been happened my friend told me they welcome them back to the store every time they see him go figure this is Thailand

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brad88 said:

I neither live in Thailand nor understand the Thai judiciary system. However, if I were in your boyfriend's situation, in addition to weighing the helpful advice of others here on the Forum, I would also consult with a competent lawyer in Thailand to be certain about my options. Wishing you luck moving forward.

The best advice for his friend; so good to have friends who care ...  ;-)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mstevens said:

A suspended sentence is handed down in a case where you plead or are found guilty. That means, he will have a criminal record in Thailand, unfortunately.

I am aware of two cases where someone went to court and got a suspended sentence and a fine. In both cases they were for drink driving. In neither case was the person deported, nor was there any effect on their visa - and life continued for them just the same as it had before the court case. Each of these cases was 5 or 6 years ago.

If found guilty looks like I can't avoid getting criminal record but at least still be able to stay in the country. I know that some nationality they don't do criminal record check when you apply for a job but I'm not certain 

Edited by Mamadoodles
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I read on this forum a while back that the police officer who made the charge decides whether to take the matter to immigration, once a court judgement is made. What action immigration takes is hard to predict. 

That's what the judge told us as well. But who know that one day the police might decide to take it to the immigration. The judge said that in my boyfriend's case it's a minor crime and it's not well know to the public and in 10 years she has never seen the police take the matter to the immigration

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If found guilty, the court will tip off immigration before the court date, and immigration police will grab you as you leave court and take you to the IDC for deportation.

This is the way it's worked in the past.

You seem to have shifted from being the Thai gf to the guilty foreigner in 14 posts.

No they will not , the process is that if a person gets more than a six month jail term , the prosecution can ask the Judge to also deport the person , but ONLY after serving at least six months in jail 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If found guilty, the court will tip off immigration before the court date, and immigration police will grab you as you leave court and take you to the IDC for deportation.

This is the way it's worked in the past.

You seem to have shifted from being the Thai gf to the guilty foreigner in 14 posts.

That does not happen.

I had a suspended sentence 20 years ago and I am still here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

No they will not , the process is that if a person gets more than a six month jail term , the prosecution can ask the Judge to also deport the person , but ONLY after serving at least six months in jail 

Do you have a substantiated source for that statement?

33 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

What was funny about my reply ?

Just think it is funny why anyone should have noticed and remembered that much detail about that  particular subject at anytime!???? 

Edited by fangless

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

No prison sentence yet deported, from what I remember reading about this - it was at the cops discretion, she was packed off to immigration and kicked out of the country.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

You have to serve at least six months in jail before they then consider whether to deport you or not , no further action in regards to visas would be taken for a suspended sentence

There is no such general guideline. It depends on your arresting police officer whether a recommendation for deportation issued (a recommendation which is followed about 99.9% of the time). That means that an important rule is to do nothing to upset the senior officer responsible for your arrest (assuming you do not buy yourself out of trouble at the outset).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fangless said:

Just think it is funny why anyone should have noticed and remembered that much detail about that  particular subject at anytime!???? 

Sitting waiting in the immigration office for my visa extension to get processed , waiting for my name to be called , not much else to do , may as well sit and read the rules written on the wall  

• Haha 1