Can I use 'Semi gloss' paint on walls or should I only use 'Matt' paint?

bbabythai

We are painting the 1st floor of our building and intend on renting it out. 

I selected white paint of course. Is it unwise to put semi gloss on the walls for any reason. Normally I would use Matt. 

In one of the local shops near us I think that they used semi gloss. When walking it with all their new lights on its a nice shiny white vibe in there. 

Please help me decide.

thanks

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

Any suggestions for decent brand of semi gloss or satin for a high humidity bathroom.  They gunk that I bought 2 years ago, has failed miserably. 

I only use Dulux more expensive but you get what you pay for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There used to be a texture called 'eggshell'. That gave a decent finish and was very forgiving.

Don't know if you could get it here. I've never looked personally.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There used to be a texture called 'eggshell'. That gave a decent finish and was very forgiving.

Don't know it you could get it here. I've never looked personally.

Eggshell and satin are pretty much the same, some mfgs will use one over the other, sometimes both depending on the lable. I would agree, it is a very forgiving sheen considering application, and longevity. Hides good, cleans good, always my go to. 

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

I stand to be corrected here but I was always taught ceilings should be covered in Matt & walls in a Silk (or Satin finish) on the whole, the reason being matt paint does not cast as much shadow on a ceiling so gives a better finish on a ceiling

Yes walls better with a wipe down type paint for traffic areas, but you can use matt on walls also but is not as good application as Silk/Satin (Bathrooms & Kitchens I use dedicated Bathroom & Kitchen paint myself) 

I have worked with more than one home decorator, and met more than one paint company representative in Thailand. Matt higher grade paint for the ceilings. Semi Gloss or Sheen for the walls. High Gloss on doors and door frames. EVERY major paint brand in Thailand has different grades of paint. it is quite clear in the paint folders what paint will last longer and has better attributes. Nippon Health Care Matt on the ceilings, Nippon Weatherbond Flex semi gloss paint on the interior, Nippon Colourshield Plus SolarFlect semi gloss paint on the exterior.  I was advised to NOT have any white walls nor do I have any white ceilings. TOA Super Shield is a popular house paint. 

https://www.buriramhome.com/buriram-guest-bedroom-suite/

Buriram professional Nippon House Painters.jpg

Buriram Thailand TOA House Paint Sales Manager.jpg

• Like 1

Don't go all white of course there are 50 colors called white xyz or ABC white.  If wall were semi gloss before they for sure need good cleaning  with trisodium  phosphate  and water.  Cleans and dulls the finish.   And primer. 

In USA there are 5 paint Sheens.    

I copy from home depot website

Here is a look at the types of paint finishes available, in order of lowest to highest sheen, and how best to use them in your home: 

Matte or Flat Paint 

• Provides a non-reflective, smooth appearance that hides surface blemishes like nail holes and patches.  
  • Matte paint requires less coats than higher gloss paints and is easier to touch up.  
  • Perfect for new construction, drywall, ceilings and low-traffic areas like adult bedrooms and dining rooms.  
  • Cleans easily with a damp sponge but will be damaged if cleaned with cleanser.  

Eggshell Paint 

• One of the most popular types of wall paint, eggshell finish provides a low sheen and a soft, smooth finish just like a true eggshell.  
  • Perfect for low- to mid-traffic areas like hallways, living rooms, entryways and family rooms.  
  • Eggshell paint is more washable than flat sheens, and it resists stains and scuffs. 

Satin Paint 

• Widely considered the most versatile and best paint for walls inside the home, a satin paint finish provides an elegant, almost pearl-like finish and soft sheen.  
  • Ideal for indoor and outdoor use, it resists mildew and fading and is easier to clean that lower-gloss finishes. 
  • Works well in busy indoor areas such as playrooms, home offices and children’s bedrooms, as well as areas that are exposed to moisture like kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms and on outdoor spots like trim, shutters and siding.

Semi-Gloss Paint  

• Even more reflective than satin with a smooth sheen, semi-gloss paint gives rooms a shiny, sleek appearance.  
  • Because it offers high resistance to moisture, it works well in areas with higher humidity, such as bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms, as well as high-traffic spaces like doors and utility rooms.  
  • While easier to clean than other finishes, semi-gloss will show most blemishes on walls and ceilings.   
  • White and off-white paints in semi-gloss give rooms a brighter appearance than whites in other finishes.  

High-Gloss Paint 

• Offers the highest level of reflection. 
  • Gives a high-shine, glass-like finish that is popular for doors, cabinets, moulding and trim.  
  • Provides curb appeal for outdoor spots like shutters and window casings.  
  • Semi- and high-gloss sheens require more coats than less glossy finishes. Apply to smooth and clean surfaces for the fewest layers of paint and best results. 

I do  see more shiny  sheens used in Thailand than here.   In my house and  rentals I use eggshell on ceilings  and satin on walls, semi gloss on doors and trim.  I buy good paint because it's easier to use.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bbabythai said:

I selected white paint of course. Is it unwise to put semi gloss on the walls for any reason. Normally I would use Matt.

Semi gloss is more easy to clean and often used in wet areas – semi gloss paint gives a better damp/water protection – whilst in living rooms a matte paint normally is preferred; however it's a question of taste.

17 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I have found semi-gloss is good for kitchens and bathrooms as it is easy to wipe down and keep fresh looking.  Matt for the rest of the house is probably better.. 

People who are not able to think just repeat that enamel paint is bad for walls but I still think that it's the best for kitchen and bathroom.

I also do not like different color between the wood around the doors and the walls.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

Ceilings.  Paint 2 coats white matt paint.  Matt is much more forgiving on glares, imperfections,  and rarely gets soiled.

Add a small dash of matt black to your first coat of matt white, this prevents missing any spots with your top coat.

Just now, tonray said:

You might have best results if you use good sealing primer first. Sometimes these prefab concrete walls are too absorptive and need some help

I did use a primer in places where I'd sanded away the underlying paint. Otherwise I just roughened the existing paint.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

I did use a primer in places where I'd sanded away the underlying paint. Otherwise I just roughened the existing paint.

In our downstairs half bathroom, the original matte paint stained from water splashed from the sink and during heavy rain from the vent window....once I painted it over with semi-gloss...clean as a whistle as water just runs off. I was lucky because some of those primers stink to high heaven