Can I use 'Semi gloss' paint on walls or should I only use 'Matt' paint?

We are painting the 1st floor of our building and intend on renting it out. 

I selected white paint of course. Is it unwise to put semi gloss on the walls for any reason. Normally I would use Matt. 

In one of the local shops near us I think that they used semi gloss. When walking it with all their new lights on its a nice shiny white vibe in there. 

Please help me decide.

thanks

• Haha 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have found semi-gloss is good for kitchens and bathrooms as it is easy to wipe down and keep fresh looking.  Matt for the rest of the house is probably better.. 

I paint walls semi-gloss and ceilings matt. I haven't noticed any issue with glare.   Kitchen, bath, doors and trim I like high-gloss.   Be advised, defects are much more visible w

Semi-gloss WASHABLE is the only way to go, all around the house or apartment ! and don,t stint on the price, good quality paint has many advantages over the cheap stuff, especially when it comes to sl

Posted Images

I reckon it depends on personal painting skills, semi-gloss at least would help to hide the imperfect paint finishing. If you are decent painter, try go for matt surface. Personally prefer matt over semi gloss. 

Any suggestions for decent brand of semi gloss or satin for a high humidity bathroom.  They gunk that I bought 2 years ago, has failed miserably. 

Edited by CanuckThai
1 minute ago, CanuckThai said:

Any suggestions for decent brand of semi gloss for a high humidity bathroom.  They gunk that I bought 2 years ago, has failed miserably. 

See post #8. bathroom is as new.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

Any suggestions for decent brand of semi gloss or satin for a high humidity bathroom.  They gunk that I bought 2 years ago, has failed miserably. 

I only use Dulux more expensive but you get what you pay for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There used to be a texture called 'eggshell'. That gave a decent finish and was very forgiving.

Don't know if you could get it here. I've never looked personally.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

There used to be a texture called 'eggshell'. That gave a decent finish and was very forgiving.

Don't know it you could get it here. I've never looked personally.

Eggshell and satin are pretty much the same, some mfgs will use one over the other, sometimes both depending on the lable. I would agree, it is a very forgiving sheen considering application, and longevity. Hides good, cleans good, always my go to. 

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

I stand to be corrected here but I was always taught ceilings should be covered in Matt & walls in a Silk (or Satin finish) on the whole, the reason being matt paint does not cast as much shadow on a ceiling so gives a better finish on a ceiling

Yes walls better with a wipe down type paint for traffic areas, but you can use matt on walls also but is not as good application as Silk/Satin (Bathrooms & Kitchens I use dedicated Bathroom & Kitchen paint myself)