Can I use 'Semi gloss' paint on walls or should I only use 'Matt' paint?

bbabythai

On 10/16/2020 at 6:44 AM, bbabythai said:

I selected white paint of course.

Why the white of course, did you want it to resemble a hospital ?

It depends on the finish to you house whether to use  to mat or gloss, because gloss does tend to show up any faults in the plastering. As does white to a certain extent, there are so many light pastel colors on the market at the moment, (Pastel grey seems to be todays favorite) Pastels can be as light as you want them & give a warmer look than plain white--which  will show up any small mark or dirt.

Pastel Grey

Home tour | A pale-grey apartment in Gothenburg | These Four Walls

Hi

i just went through this for my house. 
my 2 cents.

matte for ceilings

semi gloss for ba bathrooms and working kitchens.

for general living areas ( indoors and outdoors)

i use a finish called “sheen” from Jotun. ( similar to eggshell or satin)

jotun “ sheen FLEX” is excelent for cement walls which are often less than perfect.

yes Jotun costs a bit more but is well worth it when you consider ease of application, coverage and longevity.

2 minutes ago, grobec said:

sheen FLEX” is excelent for cement walls which are often less than perfect.

Yes its excellent, I used for a feature wall on a condo I had near Rayong........ the finish in the place was terrible.

All of the “xxx” is the best are wrong.

You may like xxx, others may not, your opinion may be that yyy colour is ideal others will disagree.

Your opinion is good for you.

That a particular finish is better for a particular use is a reasonable point, it isn’t an absolute.

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Most hospitals seem to be a rather dull light green.

https://www.quoracom/Why-do-most-of-the-hospitals-have-white-interiors

because on this Color any sign of infection can easily and immediately found, unlike other where it will take days to notice any sign of infection. And infection control is main motive in any healthcare industry. Let it be even hospital where you have highest chances of infection.

I made the comment because I have just come out of a large Hospital last week, anyway--good luck with your paint job, hope it all goes smoothly.

On 10/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, kamalabob2 said:

I have worked with more than one home decorator, and met more than one paint company representative in Thailand. Matt higher grade paint for the ceilings. Semi Gloss or Sheen for the walls. High Gloss on doors and door frames. EVERY major paint brand in Thailand has different grades of paint. it is quite clear in the paint folders what paint will last longer and has better attributes. Nippon Health Care Matt on the ceilings, Nippon Weatherbond Flex semi gloss paint on the interior, Nippon Colourshield Plus SolarFlect semi gloss paint on the exterior.  I was advised to NOT have any white walls nor do I have any white ceilings. TOA Super Shield is a popular house paint. 

https://www.buriramhome.com/buriram-guest-bedroom-suite/

Buriram professional Nippon House Painters.jpg

Buriram Thailand TOA House Paint Sales Manager.jpg

Hi. I wanted to ask a question. On day 1 the painters put the primer on painting it the vertical direction towards our main entrance. Next day they put the next matt coat on painting in horizontal... across ways. I think they are doing this to not have problems with lines on the ceiling. today I assume they will paint it vertical direction again for the final coat. is this correct what they have done or is it a balls up? I suppose I will see tonight what the final job looks like

On 10/16/2020 at 12:31 AM, GlennSN20U5 said:

I reckon it depends on personal painting skills, semi-gloss at least would help to hide the imperfect paint finishing. If you are decent painter, try go for matt surface. Personally prefer matt over semi gloss. 

I have found it is easier to "touch-up matt paint"

3 hours ago, bbabythai said:

is this correct what they have done or is it a balls up?

The long standing advice for painting with a roller is to make an "X" (or "S") and then fill in the area being no larger than the roller can adequately apply at a time.  Provides consistent coverage.

• 4 weeks later...

I see a Nippon Paint store  close by.

I assume it's a premium brand.

Does their quality justify the price?

Asking since the higher price is not always indicative of higher quality.

I'm not willing to overpay for some extra brand recognition.

Edited by unheard

27 minutes ago, unheard said:

And which stuff is the best?

Anything that is applied on a well prepared surface. You can buy the best paint on the market and it you apply it to a poorly prepared surface the results will be bad. You can buy cheaper paint and apply it to a well prepared surface and the results will be good. 

If you want a great, long-lasting finish prepare the surface well and use good paint.

I like TOA products and use their:

Contact Primer

SuperShield Advance semi-gloss for walls

Duraclean Matt Ceiling paint for ceilings 

Glipton High-Gloss for doors and trim

Good paint often easier to work with as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, unheard said:

I see a Nippon Paint store  close by.

I assume it's a premium brand.

Does their quality justify the price?

Asking since the higher price is not always indicative of higher quality.

I'm not willing to overpay for some extra brand recognition.

Nippon (like most brands) has a range of paints form cheap to high-end. If the shop is convenient it should be fine. 

Are you doing the work yourself?

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Anything that is applied on a well prepared surface. You can buy the best paint on the market and it you apply it to a poorly prepared surface the results will be bad.

It's gonna be a new construction.

What would be a reasonable surface preparations for newly finished walls?

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Nippon (like most brands) has a range of paints form cheap to high-end. If the shop is convenient it should be fine. 

Are you doing the work yourself?

Nope

I'll pay for it.

Just wanna be sure that they don't skip any steps in surface preparation.

I'll be on-site.

Just now, unheard said:

Nope

I'll pay for it.

Just wanna be sure that they don't skip any steps in surface preparation.

I'll be on-site.

What kind of surface?

Have they already quoted the work?

Are you paying for materials separately?

Pick a brand and stick with there system. 

3 minutes ago, unheard said:

How new?  I would wait at least 2 weeks for newly rendered walls.  Then lightly brush to get rid of the loose bits.  Then clean with a cleaning product (like your wife or maid would use to mop the floor).  I also use a brush for that but a sponge just as good.  I use premium primer diluted by 10% and then 2 coats of undiluted premium color.  Maybe @Yellowtail has a method he likes?

13 minutes ago, unheard said:

It's gonna be a new construction.

Me.............I jet wash  them then use alkali resisting primer TWICE, then top coat 3  times,  thinned max 10%

Also beware that Thai Painting 101 calls for thinning to 50% - doesn't matter the quality of the paint.  Don't let them do that.  Most brands will have the primer thinned by 10%.  No thinning for the color.

A few more thoughts for the unknowing...

Local paint stores sometimes do not even carry the premium grades - you may have to go to the "Home" places for that.  (locals won't pay for it)

Beware that paints usually are intended for interior or exterior (sometimes both but not for the premium grade).  Primers usually specify intended surface.  Do read the can to make sure you are getting the proper stuff.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Also beware that Thai Painting 101 calls for thinning to 50% - doesn't matter the quality of the paint.  Don't let them do that.  Most brands will have the primer thinned by 10%.  No thinning for the color.

A few more thoughts for the unknowing...

Local paint stores sometimes do not even carry the premium grades - you may have to go to the "Home" places for that.  (locals won't pay for it)

Beware that paints usually are intended for interior or exterior (sometimes both but not for the premium grade).  Primers usually specify intended surface.  Do read the can to make sure you are getting the proper stuff.

Indeed, it's best to know what you want before you get there. The last thing you want  is to be inundated with staff wanting to give you advice.

It s amazing how many people do not read the can...

The house hasn't been built yet therefore I don't have any details.

Just trying to acquire as much knowledge as I a can regarding different stages of the process.

Appreciate all of your comments though.

I wasn't anticipating to receive so many of willing to help responses in such a short period of time.

Just wanted to get a general idea.

An interesting comment regarding the Thai Painting 101 "requirement" for 50% thining.

I will have to remember that one and make sure they don't follow the rule ???? (when the time comes).

On 10/16/2020 at 6:44 AM, bbabythai said:

We are painting the 1st floor of our building and intend on renting it out. 

I selected white paint of course. Is it unwise to put semi gloss on the walls for any reason. Normally I would use Matt. 

In one of the local shops near us I think that they used semi gloss. When walking it with all their new lights on its a nice shiny white vibe in there. 

Please help me decide.

thanks

if renting out SG could be better option for a bit of protection, all depends on use
for my house i just used Dulux Easy-Clean on all walls, cleans great,
used standard dulux for ceilings
but i use weathershield flex on bathroom and toilet ceilings

if walls are not great finish a flex paint may be worth it
it is also easy to clean