Police vow to pursue legal actions against Ratchaprasong rallyists

webfact

I have been said by Thai people they are not only disapproving  these demonstrations but also scandalized by the criticisms against royalty
by saying the king is our father, and we cannot criticize him, and given the virulence of the remarks I preferred not to answer anything at all. Apart from shaking my head like I was approving  them ????

There's another protest planned tonight for the same location as last night.

And on the way home from work tonight on the BTS Sukhumvit Line, my wife said BTS was announcing that they had closed three stations tonight because of the protest -- Chidlom, Siam and Ratchathewi.

The U.S. Embassy also sent out a second email earlier Friday, the same as yesterday, warning folks to stay away from that area:

Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand (October 16, 2020)

Location: Bangkok, Thailand – Ratchaprasong area in the Pathunwan District

Event:  U.S. Embassy Bangkok informs U.S. citizens of a planned political gathering today, October 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm in the area of Ratchaprasong Intersection near the Erawan Shrine and Central World Shopping mall in the Pathumwan district of Bangkok.  U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid this area.

On October 15, 2020 Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha declared a state of emergency for Bangkok.  In this declaration, groups of five or more people are prohibited from gathering. 

Reports indicate the planned political gathering described above could involve a large crowd of participants.  The Royal Thai Police plan to be present and may set up check points in and around the area in connection with the event.  Plan ahead for the possibility of traffic and other potential disruptions in downtown Bangkok.  Additional demonstrations are possible in the coming days.

Although violence is not expected, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.  Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.  U.S. citizens should monitor local news and social media reports before traveling to downtown Bangkok this weekend.

Just keep the rhetoric up Government.  Threaten them all with arrest and the "We know who you are" threat and we will prosecute you.  Waiting for the News from the US to come on to see how it is portrayed, or maybe it will be blocked.  The police are trying to disperse tonight's crowd by force. They have picket lines set up and have shields at the ready.  Getting ready to push into the crowd as I write this.  Such a disturbing action on display.  I personally do not think there are enough police to do the job and disperse them from in front of Siam Paragon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I do not think the protestors care what the weather is like.  They have a point to make and this Government has turned a deaf ear to them.  It will get worse unfortunately.  Water cannons are being used now.

unfortunately for them this 'point' is not agreed to by the majority. I'm sure all the workers and shop owners around the area just love what little business they had, go completely into the toilet by these actions of a minority. And if BKK floods this year due to upstream discharges we'll see how resilient they are in knee deep water. What surprises me is where on the street are all the TVF warriors who are vying to be the first ones to lie down in front of the tanks? ???? And where is the mystical man from the land of OZ behind the curtain? He stirred it all up and now nowhere to be seen - typical..

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

unfortunately for them this 'point' is not agreed to by the majority. I'm sure all the workers and shop owners around the area just love what little business they had, go completely into the toilet by these actions of a minority. And if BKK floods this year due to upstream discharges we'll see how resilient they are in knee deep water. What surprises me is where on the street are all the TVF warriors who are vying to be the first ones to lie down in front of the tanks? ???? And where is the mystical man from the land of OZ behind the curtain? He stirred it all up and now nowhere to be seen - typical..

Unfortunately I have to agree with you on a few points.

1. I'm sure all the workers and shop owners around the area just love what little business they had, go completely into the toilet by these actions  -  However, they are not a minority from my understanding and talking with Thai I do know.

2. The mystical man from the land of OZ behind the curtain? He stirred it all up and now nowhere to be seen - typical.

- I do agree entirely, instead of meeting with designated people to speak with he just dismisses and disregards them as if they were nothing more than ants to step on or over.

watching this live on YT indicates how much of an amateur hour all this really is with these kids chucking plastic chairs and bottles at the police throwing water -pathetic. Meanwhile 10's of thousands of workers in that area had no income today due to closures have to still pay for the food on the family table tonight. Who's going to pay? These kids? the missing in action billionaire?  If these kids keep depriving hard working Thais their right to earn a living are going to make some bitter enemies in a short period of time..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

watching this live on YT indicates how much of an amateur hour all this really is with these kids chucking plastic chairs and bottles at the police throwing water -pathetic. Meanwhile 10's of thousands of workers in that area had no income today due to closures have to still pay for the food on the family table tonight. Who's going to pay? These kids? the missing in action billionaire?  If these kids keep depriving hard working Thais their right to earn a living are going to make some bitter enemies in a short period of time..

agree ..... it was like watching a staged comedy show imo.   If that's the best the protestors can come up with they best be going home.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Just been live on Al J. All the protesters did was set up half a km down the road. The cops sealed off a large area of the shopping district for nothing. They are stood behind their barriers but there's no one there.????

Students 1- Bib 0.

sorry,  I think you are incorrect ..... the police acted with complete restraint during their role.

These are not students, they are thugs, just look at the one throwing barricades at police ...

since when are you allowed to attack a police officer in any country   ?

Thia Government 1 - 0 Students thugs 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I have been said by Thai people they are not only disapproving  these demonstrations but also scandalized by the criticisms against royalty
by saying the king is our father, and we cannot criticize him, and given the virulence of the remarks I preferred not to answer anything at all. Apart from shaking my head like I was approving  them ????

Do you have an English translation ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1