Coastal Thailand news for October 13th, 2020

Coastal Thailand news for October 13th, 2020

David Luekens

Welcome to the 20th edition of the Island Wrap! This week I cover damage from Tropical Storm Linfa; Thailand’s foreign tourism reboot in disarray; photos of Phuket in the 1980s; and your usual round up of environmental and travel stories from all around coastal Thailand. As always, thank you for reading.

Last week I published a story on Ko Adang, the mountainous and barely developed island that looms beside Ko Lipe in the Lower Thai Andaman. Later this week I’ll introduce Ko Rawi and Ko Hin Ngam as part of the second of four posts that transport you to the marvelous Butang (or Adang) archipelago.

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_dc21ccbd-6b88-47a3-a0b9-3d9ece532c25_6000x4000.jpeg

Ko Rawi on the horizon. The post coming later this week is in honor of the recent reopening of Mu Ko Tarutao Marine National Park. If you’re in Thailand, head down there when the rain lets up?

Over on Couchfish, Stuart unfortunately ran into his not-so-friendly “old friend,” dengue fever. I wish him a speedy recovery. And readers in Southeast Asia, if you see a mosquito, do take his advice and “please hit it with a hammer.”

Pick of the week: CHARITY

In Krabi province’s Nua Khlong district, the Wongpanit recycling center exchanges money for plastic, glass, styrofoam, ropes, shoes, nets, metals and many other types of recyclable “waste” that the tides carry ashore. Assisted by Second Life Foundation, which facilitates recycling in other parts of Thailand as well, this setup incentivizes locals in places like Ko Lanta and Ko Klang to clean up the coasts. Here’s a video of an operation that brought in four tons of recyclables from the sea.

Continue reading: https://thaiislandtimes.substack.com/p/coastal-thailand-news-for-october-3c4