Chula virologist unravels mystery of global Covid death tolls

webfact

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This is hardly the 'great unraveling' I expected - he read a couple of charts, that is all.

He should go on to explain why, no matter, I'll summarise :

To me it appears that the more successful a country is at keeping its elderly people alive into very old age - the more deaths there will be from COVID.

This is something that most of Asia really sucks at, they die much younger - this is the reason for the 'great Asian success' - they're already dead due to constant neglect throughout their lives.

you may, to an extent, have a point, however 'asia' is too general as Japan has a large percentage of the population in old age, and i'd suspect korea too. but in developing asian countries for sure there are not the medical facilities and expertise, or investment (?) in healthcare for the elderly. i'd also argue many who live with underlying medical conditions in the west dont, unfortunately,  have that opportunity in many asian countries.

31 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Does anybody actually believe that the Indian and Chinese statistics are an accurate reflection of the reality?

Does anybody actually believe that any/most statistics are an accurate reflection of the reality?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Does anybody actually believe that the Indian and Chinese statistics are an accurate reflection of the reality?

It just mean that in these countries; ALL the deaths of Old Aged are actually recorded truly, as Old Aged natural deaths... 

Capitalist-thinking pharma indusytries know they can make a whole heap more $$$ out of Boosting the so called Wuhan Flu death numbers

- and a reflected magical reduction of Old Aged natural, common cold,and flu deaths deaths have near ceased to exist 

The OP twerp googler is making some thing into the impression that his regional race genes (DNA) are stronger than others...

• Like 1

The journalist is dramatizing the headlines for clicks, or more kindly, something has been lost in translation. He may also be as others suggest, premature.
This virus has baffled our best epidemiologists. It will take years before the dust settles and we really understand it. Probably from a settled statistical perspective.

Edited by aroiaroi

16 hours ago, Guderian said:

It's been widely reported that almost every countries stats are low.  I saw a report that India could be 10x what they are reporting.

As for China?  Who knows, but if it was a problem, you'd hear about it.  Hard to hide corpses piling up outside hospitals.

32 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's been widely reported that almost every countries stats are low.  I saw a report that India could be 10x what they are reporting.

As for China?  Who knows, but if it was a problem, you'd hear about it.  Hard to hide corpses piling up outside hospitals.

not  if  you have total  control and leave many to die in the  villages

17 hours ago, madmitch said:

This time he's doing no more than quoting well-known statistics and theories. Hardly unravelling a mystery is it?

He has been anointed by the powers that be. His message's for the masses, is approved up on high, in the rarefied air where only PuYais dwell. :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, Guderian said:

I can understand the skepticism about China....but why India, its reporting well over a 100K deaths, which seems consistent with its neighbor  Pakistan with over 60K deaths . Most Asian countries seem to be fairing better than the west.

18 hours ago, Guderian said:

Does anybody actually believe that the American statistics are accurate, given Trump's efforts to suppress testing?