New test kit will cut quarantine down to 10 days, says Anutin

snoop1130

Who developed them for the use of this Country.  Seems that Oxford and a few companies in the US have a rapid test that can tell you very quickly.  My US Based pharmacy plan just sent me an offer for a in home test kit that will be mailed to me free, and after I take the sample and seal it up it will go back via Fed-Ex and I will have the results in 24 hours.  Wonder if this would work for those stuck in the US, and who have to satisfy the 72 Hr. window between Covid testing, and showing they were Covid free before boarding the plane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Who developed them for the use of this Country.  Seems that Oxford and a few companies in the US have a rapid test that can tell you very quickly.  My US Based pharmacy plan just sent me an offer for a in home test kit that will be mailed to me free, and after I take the sample and seal it up it will go back via Fed-Ex and I will have the results in 24 hours.  Wonder if this would work for those stuck in the US, and who have to satisfy the 72 Hr. window between Covid testing, and showing they were Covid free before boarding the plane.

Amazing.  If they sent me a test for free - heck, even if they paid me to take it - it would go right into the garbage. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Meanwhile the west is moving to covdid swab tests that take 15 minutes to confirm

The West is an extremely bad example how to deal with the Virus. The Covid numbers are increasing rapidly at the moment and there is no end in sight. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The Public Health Ministry is also developing Covid-19 test kits that do not require the drawing of blood or swabs and will only take three to five days to produce an accurate result.

These test kits should then reduce the quarantine period to less than 10 days.

Three to Five days?...and that will allow quarantine to be less. You idiots, you can do normal PCR tests in 1 - 2 days. 

From another story, Phuket Airport has a rapid-PCR test that will take 2 hours. Rapid blood tests take 10 minutes.

This guy just doesn't look like he some extra generic material from Chromosome 21...he proves it by his actions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

As I wrote in some other threads some time ago already, it is obvious that there are numerous members of the Thai establishment who cannot be happy about the strict isolation applied to the country by the junta as a favour to their Chinese friends, and who understand the real agenda of the generals in the government.

Many lose billions of business. Even Anutin himself might be affected with his company Sinothai, though his company also might be compensated by orders related to the big infrastructural projects like the railway system. But surely there is a lot of pressure to the government, coming from others in the elite, to open the borders as soon as possible and to allow international tourism again. 

Therefore there is the possibility that some relaxation will come soon. Personally I hope. In the recent days, more an more signs can be seen, and the OP is just one more sign. However, it is possible also that the current political situation might lead to a continued blocking of the borders. Time will tell.

But nobody should be worried too much about tourists "bringing back" Covid to Thailand. There are many hints that it neither had disappeared from the country months ago, as claimed by the powers-that-be, nor that Thailand is very vulnerable to the virus. There are many climatic, social, cultural and maybe even genetic reasons why Thailand will stay quite safe, plus the specific characteristics of how most tourists spend their holiday (mostly outdoor, at the beaches etc.). This has been discussed in numerous other threads already. No need to repeat that all here again.

I agreed  with your post until you said that Thais have immunity to this virus. It is a false statement. This virus affects Thais as any opther people. For whatever reasons it didn't affect until now, it will affect anyway in the future. It's just a matter of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

I did not say at all Thais are immune. I said "there are many climatic, social, cultural and maybe even genetic reasons why Thailand will stay quite safe".

If you refer to my point with "genetic reasons", there was a very interesting paper in Nature, one of the most reputable scientific journals, about two weeks ago, which pointed to exactly this possibility. Note that I also wrote "maybe even". I am sure that Thais can be as easy infected by the virus as any other people, but it could be (could be!) that statistically (!) they develop less severe symptoms due to the findings published in Nature.

but how does that account for all the half breeds?? 

- the Chinese mixes; the Isaan stocks; the southern stocks of Malay... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

but how does that account for all the half breeds?? 

- the Chinese mixes; the Isaan stocks; the southern stocks of Malay... 

Of course there is still unlimited potential for further research.

At least it would reduce the number of severe case over the whole population nevertheless, and therefore the country is, or appears to be, more safe statistically. Half breed might statistically have half the genetic benefits, but who knows? As a side effect, less severe cases mean less occupation of ICU, leaving ICU to other more in need.

Edited by Flying Saucage

3 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Of course there is still unlimited potential for further research.

At least it would reduce the number of severe case over the whole population nevertheless, and therefore the country is, or appears to be, more safe statistically. Half breed might statistically have half the genetic benefits, but who knows? As a side effect, less severe cases mean less occupation of ICU, leaving ICU to other more in need.

and the bitter irony, is that having a sudden surge in deaths also leaves the fringe benefit of more ICU beds empty and available too -  a twisted circle... 

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

a few months ago there was an article boasting about a thailand developed test that could give a result in 1 hour 15 minutes, thought that was great, but never heard about it being implemented, or any plans for its implementation...

• Like 2

What is the relationship between a test that takes 3 to 5 days to get a result and reducing the quarantine time 4 days? 

As I recall, the NHS (England) says: "Most people get their result the next day, but it may take up to 3 days."

The WHO says: "One type of rapid diagnostic test (RDT) detects the presence of viral proteins (antigens) expressed by the COVID-19 virus in a sample from the respiratory tract of a person. If the target antigen is present in sufficient concentrations in the sample, it will bind to specific antibodies fixed to a paper strip enclosed in a plastic casing and generate a visually detectable signal, typically within 30 minutes."

I think here in Thailand it already only takes a day or two. So what is he actually talking about? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Meanwhile the west is moving to covdid swab tests that take 15 minutes to confirm

I have one done every 3 weeks before I go back to work. They test the whole work force and all results back within 2 hours. 

• Like 2

This is what I believe will happen to Thailand unfortunately

"Many Eastern European countries which locked down early and escaped lightly from the first wave of Covid-19 are now being battered by the second wave, in a reversal of Europe's East-West divide. 

Eastern Europe is seeing cases spike by up to 2,000 per cent compared to the spring, suggesting that countries which kept the virus at bay in March and April merely postponed the onslaught rather than avoiding it altogether. 

More worryingly, while death tolls in Britain, France and Spain have been more muted in the second wave, many countries in Eastern Europe are seeing more fatalities than ever before - raising fears for their vulnerable health systems"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8843661/Eastern-Europe-sees-dramatic-second-waves-coronavirus.html

• Like 2

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

The reported rate of false negatives is as low as 2% and as high as 37%. The false positive rate — that is, how often the test says you have the virus when you actually do not — should be close to zero. Most false-positive results are thought to be due to lab contamination or other problems with how the lab has performed the test, not limitations of the test itself.

Anutin wake up smell the coffee!

Folks like myself refuse to fly after we have to be tested & proven to be Covid free only yet to be put on a plane

with Thai's you allow to fly untested...Why? Oh because they are Thai?

Puleeze!

Then you make us prove we have 100K USD insurance that you can milk after we turn positive in your quarantine after flying in with your infected Thai's Why?

Oh right because they are Thai...

"Oh winged horse of marble white, take me on a magic flight". ????  Just not to Thailand thanks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sure, but there's more news of an Oxford self administered 5 minute response test with very high level of accuracy. 

Perhaps there's now a case for:

1.- Show negative report at check-in no more than 3 days old, 

2.- Plus one more negative report no more than 24 hrs old,

3.- Plus all checked-in passengers must take a fast response test before boarding the aircraft,

4.- Tests processed quickly and electronic report showing result for all passengers distributed electronically/instantly to authorities at arrival airport for their action. And copies to national health authorities/national airport authorities both countries.

5.- Now a quarantine decision at arrival (national/state health authorities) about the passengers who have tested negative at all stages: 0 days, 3, 5, 7, 10, 14 days???

Sounds clumsy but very mechanical and not that complex.

Seems to me that the world just waiting/holding their breath for a magic return to pre-covid travel situation is unrealistic and is not going to happen, we all need to embrace the new Covid situation. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, but there's more news of an Oxford self administered 5 minute response test with very high level of accuracy. 

Perhaps there's now a case for:

1.- Show negative report at check-in no more than 3 days old, 

2.- Plus one more negative report no more than 24 hrs old,

3.- Plus all checked-in passengers must take a fast response test before boarding the aircraft,

4.- Tests processed quickly and electronic report showing result for all passengers distributed electronically/instantly to authorities at arrival airport for their action. And copies to national health authorities/national airport authorities both countries.

5.- Now a quarantine decision at arrival (national/state health authorities) about the passengers who have tested negative at all stages: 0 days, 3, 5, 7, 10, 14 days???

Sounds clumsy but very mechanical and not that complex.

Seems to me that the world just waiting/holding their breath for a magic return to pre-covid travel situation is unrealistic and is not going to happen, we all need to embrace the new Covid situation. 

Makes sense, but what if someone on the plane starts shedding, you get the virus, and it's undetectable until after your last test?  I think that's kinda what happened with Trump and his team?

Crazy scenarios with a virus that's not fully understood yet.