Two Thais test positive for COVID-19 in Mae Sot

snoop1130

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

I don't quite get how a Myanmar truck driver is allowed to enter the country, presumably without test, quarantine and everything else that is imposed on arrivals.

despite the apparent rain, there is a huge drought still 

so he probably drove the truck across the dry areas of the Mekong

Edited by cyril sneer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

I don't quite get how a Myanmar truck driver is allowed to enter the country, presumably without test, quarantine and everything else that is imposed on arrivals.

I've also just read on Twitter that the authorities seem to have changed their mind and the persons infected are from Myanmar.

I made a post months ago about the que of large trucks I saw crossing at the Hat-Lek Cambodian Boarder, and was asking here if anybody new about covid control with them, I think it was after 2 factory workers were infected in Samut Prakan. there were no answers then and none now. ????Perhaps they never will.......

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

It could be true. They could use COVID as an excuse to stop all the protests that are happening at the moment. I expect more and more cases of local transmission in the coming days. Is it a coincidence or not we will find out shortly.

Possible, but they can't do this easily coz they also need to reopen the tourism otherwise the pressure on them will increase further! So no significant numbwrs will be found I guess

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The conspiracy theorists are stirring again. These Covid-19 Myanmar truck drivers popped up late last week before these protests. Even if they were going to make things up to control the Bangkok situation, why on earth chose Tak when they could have the coronavirus slip in unnoticed via the international airport or any one of the ASQ's in the city?

Because that might affect the rich Thai elite visa arrivals coming to spend their $100.00 a day ????

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, P100 said:

Possible, but they can't do this easily coz they also need to reopen the tourism otherwise the pressure on them will increase further! So no significant numbwrs will be found I guess

Tourism is done for at least another year with the exception of schemes like the STV to show that they are trying to do something but it's all for show.

They don't want foreigners coming here at the moment.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The posts you are commenting on were in response to @Dmaxdan's assertion that there's is no testing in Thailand, see below.

Thailand tests those who are suspected of being infected and will test anyone who requests to be tested. Claiming that they are "...deliberately not been testing anyone domestically..." is fallacious.

Brother of my gf went to hospital 2 days ago with sign of corvid they refuse to test him so they not testing people.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Interesting. I've read countless times, from many different sources that Thailand has deliberately not been testing anyone domestically for Covid-19 to falsify the real number of people infected...

Please provide the source for this. Otherwise, fake news.

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The conspiracy theorists are stirring again. These Covid-19 Myanmar truck drivers popped up late last week before these protests. Even if they were going to make things up to control the Bangkok situation, why on earth chose Tak when they could have the coronavirus slip in unnoticed via the international airport or any one of the ASQ's in the city?

I thought that no one was allowed into the country without going into 2 weeks quarantine - or is that just a rule for tourists, and truck drivers from Myanmar are exempt?

Testing is irrelevant.... because the number of cases is irrelevant.... because the death rates are so low Covid can be ignored for the young, fit, healthy in any population...... like the "ordinary" flu that continues to kill comparative numbers in comparative risk groups throughout the world. 

Protect the "vulnerable" and get on with life I say...... but.... the politicians hate common sense and logical thinking. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Migrosmarket said:

Testing is irrelevant.... because the number of cases is irrelevant.... because the death rates are so low Covid can be ignored for the young, fit, healthy in any population...... like the "ordinary" flu that continues to kill comparative numbers in comparative risk groups throughout the world. 

Protect the "vulnerable" and get on with life I say...... but.... the politicians hate common sense and logical thinking. 

It's being done at the request of medical experts, notpoliticians. Well, except in the US.

200,000 deaths in the US is hardly irrelevant. The virus isn't done with us yet. And it's nothing like the flu.

Read this. Scary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/us/rural-jails-coronavirus-mountain-west.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20201017&instance_id=23240&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=80027960&segment_id=41361&user_id=1298cdda864738dcf5f5cb52747197da

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This  Virus is adapting to hot climate 

Thailand  has  so many  problems  now  getting   like Nazi  Germany 

It is a pity  for  the  normal  people  of Thailand  the poor 

80%  not well off   really do notunderstand  what  is happening  to their  country  now 

I  pity  Thailand  I feel for you  now  ..I love  the  normal Thai people .... I despise  the rich  and powerful and currupt with a passion

Virus  and other  problems  will soon  explode into such  a  mess  that  tourism  will be the last thing you will worry about 

Good Luck  Thailand 

6 hours ago, Keesters said:

Nor are people here dropping like flies as in western countries. Ive asked and asked and asked many people "do they personally know anyone who has died from covid?" the answer is always NO.

In March I was in Thailand and met a guy. In April his grandfather dies in hospital due to Covid19. 2 months later I opened my facebook, first time in 1,5 years. First thing I saw: one of my 'friends' on there shared a picture of his dead grandfather attached to an oxygen machine. It must be an amazing coïncedence that I am somehow connected to 2 out of the 60 deaths? By the way, I don't think those 2 guys understood it was covid19. They said lung problems. And that might explain when you ask around you won't find anyone.

At the same time by the way in my own country an estimated 1% of the citizens is contagious at the moment. Amongst all the people I know there are just 2 (suspected) covid19 cases from the first wave. It was impossible to get tested at that time so those aren't confirmed. Statiscally this also doesn't make any sense. And I happen to be educated in that field.

I'm not a conspiracy thinker. Covid19 is real. Covid19 can be deadly. Fact is that governments worldwide are abusing it to their own advantage. They rape the statistics, deliberately or just because they're stupid and completely incompetent, like my own government. And since I never read the real explanation of the differences between Thailand and Europe, here it is:

life expectancy for Thailand is 76,68 years. For Europe it's 81. For some of the most affected countries it's 83,5 (Spain) end 83,4 (Italy).

And guess what? About 80% (!!) of deaths in which covid19 played a role were 75+ years old. The 65+-group represents over 95% of all deaths. So purely statiscally Thailand should have less than 20% of the deaths from European countries, for the very simple reason people in Thailand already die before they have a real risk of dying of covid19. And that's only based on age. To compare things you should take into account obesity which of course is a big factor in covid19. European countries have more than twice the obesity rate compared to Thailand.

Conclusions:

1) the deaths in Thailand caused by covid19 in the official statistics are not accurate

2) Thailand does have lower deaths compared to Europe. This is not because of but despite of the Thai government

3) if you are old and fat you will die sooner. What a surprise!

4) if you are under 50 and in normal health the chances of dying are minimal. You have nothing to worry about, other then dying because of stress, loneliness or any other side effects of this situation

5) are you a western male of 75 years? The chance you will die this year statiscally is about 20% depending on your education

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, fastcat said:

In March I was in Thailand and met a guy. In April his grandfather dies in hospital due to Covid19. 2 months later I opened my facebook, first time in 1,5 years. First thing I saw: one of my 'friends' on there shared a picture of his dead grandfather attached to an oxygen machine. It must be an amazing coïncedence that I am somehow connected to 2 out of the 60 deaths? By the way, I don't think those 2 guys understood it was covid19. They said lung problems. And that might explain when you ask around you won't find anyone.

At the same time by the way in my own country an estimated 1% of the citizens is contagious at the moment. Amongst all the people I know there are just 2 (suspected) covid19 cases from the first wave. It was impossible to get tested at that time so those aren't confirmed. Statiscally this also doesn't make any sense. And I happen to be educated in that field.

I'm not a conspiracy thinker. Covid19 is real. Covid19 can be deadly. Fact is that governments worldwide are abusing it to their own advantage. They rape the statistics, deliberately or just because they're stupid and completely incompetent, like my own government. And since I never read the real explanation of the differences between Thailand and Europe, here it is:

life expectancy for Thailand is 76,68 years. For Europe it's 81. For some of the most affected countries it's 83,5 (Spain) end 83,4 (Italy).

And guess what? About 80% (!!) of deaths in which covid19 played a role were 75+ years old. The 65+-group represents over 95% of all deaths. So purely statiscally Thailand should have less than 20% of the deaths from European countries, for the very simple reason people in Thailand already die before they have a real risk of dying of covid19. And that's only based on age. To compare things you should take into account obesity which of course is a big factor in covid19. European countries have more than twice the obesity rate compared to Thailand.

Conclusions:

1) the deaths in Thailand caused by covid19 in the official statistics are not accurate

2) Thailand does have lower deaths compared to Europe. This is not because of but despite of the Thai government

3) if you are old and fat you will die sooner. What a surprise!

4) if you are under 50 and in normal health the chances of dying are minimal. You have nothing to worry about, other then dying because of stress, loneliness or any other side effects of this situation

5) are you a western male of 75 years? The chance you will die this year statiscally is about 20% depending on your education

How many European countries had over a million health volunteers tracking and tracing positives cases in the early days of the pandemic? How many countries hospitalised (and still hospitalise all positive cases?) Note how all those returing to Thailand now are hospitalised if they return a positive swab. This is regardless of whether they show symptoms or not. I would say those are the two main factors that have kept positive cases low. There is no mass testing here but without the occurrence of symptomatic cases, it is not an efficient use of resourses to randomly test the population. When there has been mass testing - as after the case of the infected Egyptian soldier, not one other positive case could be found. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/16/2020 at 3:58 PM, NanLaew said:

14 days quarantine plus a number of tests even for truck drivers so why it how can anybody spread it

There is no doubt that people are sneaking in the border regions and it's only a matter of time until breakouts like this happens.  As for the Thai Government, I don't trust them farther than I can throw a farang in a speedo in Pattaya.  

Hopefully they get it contained and it didn't spread too quickly.  If it breaks out, the new strain is much easier to spread.  

• Like 1