Teacher knifed to death in France after showing class cartoons of Prophet Mohammad

rooster59

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Of course not, but there is a % that have religious killing on their mind, because the book they follow says it's OK.

Those who want a better way of living come to a Christian country, how hypocritical is that..

% the arm and % the sword

• Sad 1

On 10/16/2020 at 4:34 PM, olfu said:

as I said before--all religions must be private matter.

Not sure exactly the point, but it isn't all religions.

If something taught in school was offensive to any other religion the response would be a complaint to to the school authorities, not a murderous attack.

It seems it isn't PC to make this observation but it is true.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Those who want a better way of living come to a Christian country,

Or...

Remind me of a joke :

"2 Muslims paddle on a raft on the Thames, they are accosted by the Marine Police Force who asked them : What are you doing ?
The 2 answer : We come to invade the U.K..

General laughter from the police, who says :

By you 2

No, no, answer the Muslims,

the rest is already here."

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

A police source said that witnesses had heard the attacker shout "Allahu Akbar", or "God is Greatest".

Please don't forget to run as fast as you can whenever you hear these words..................

I will teach this to my grandchildren, children are old enough to know now.

7 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Not sure exactly the point, but it isn't all religions.

If something taught in school was offensive to any other religion the response would be a complaint to to the school authorities, not a murderous attack.

It seems it isn't PC to make this observation but it is true.

"Instructions seem visibly to have been passed to react flawlessly to "all those who for 24 hours have been delighted at the death of the teacher"

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, alien365 said:

As usual, the actions of the extreme Islamists ends up causing more damage to the religion and it's people. I understand Muslims get upset when they see images of Muhammad but Buddhists also get upset seeing Buddha being used for decoration. It's the response from the extreme elements that is worrying.

I don't have any problem with the vast majority of Muslims. I have close Muslims friends who have integrated to western society. They have not been happy with any of the terrorist attacks either. 

Good point, and Buddhists don't go around killing people who use Buddhist art for decoration.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, yes indeed. Clearly I did miss this.

No apology needed through.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-religion-of-peace/

Yes, the site has a narrow focus, so is inherently biased.  That doesn't mean it's inaccurate. 

It generally doesn't report violence inspired by religions other than Islam (except during Ramadan).  That said, there is very little non-Islamic violence to report.  For Ramadan 2020 the scorecard looked like this:

ramadan.2020.jpg

Previous years tell the same sad story about Islam.

Despite the site's narrow focus, its recording of Islamic atrocities is quite conservative.  To quote from the website:

"In 2014, the BBC did a thorough analysis of Islamic terror attacks occurring during the month of November.  They found 664 attacks and 5,042 deaths.  TROP listed only 284 attacks and 2,515 deaths for the month"

The site's methodology is explained at https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/site/the-list.aspx

It also provides details of every single attack it counts allowing for checking for factual accuracy.  They do occasionally make mistakes, and encourage people to report these.  I've spotted a few errors over the years (getting individuals' religions wrong, including reports from satirical sites) and they've taken down the incorrect information very quickly.

In short, if you want to understand the extent of Islam-inspired violence in the world, it's reliable.  If you want to hear about how kind and generous some Muslims are, or how murderous some Hindus are, you have to look elsewhere.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know why you would think that.

The bible clearly states 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" ...... and that's just one death threat of many.

If you read 'Leviticus', they even want to kill you for planting two different crops in one field.

True the Bible is brutally barbaric in places.  It seems the difference is not in the religious texts so much as in the interpretation of the texts.  I have never heard a debate among Christian Bible believers about whether or not they should stone their neighbor to death for mowing his lawn on the Sabbath.  Although fundies do pick and choose what Biblical laws they choose to try and enforce, they usually stop short of killing transgressors.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, transam said:

Those who want a better way of living come to a Christian country, how hypocritical is that..

And those Christians and whatnot among us that can freely come to Thailand for a "better way of living"? How bizarre is that?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Opl said:
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

They aren't all religious zealots, breeding solely for government handouts while going out stabbing and decapitating their way to forming a caliphate.

it's called "burn-and-go tactic".

Get used to it. 

Thanks for your concern but this "burn-and-go tactic" is entirely in your head so maybe it is something that YOU need to get used to, if you ever can.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

We have to be responsible for our actions.  Didn't the teacher realize the possibilities of reactions to doing this?  And of course we all know how infamous the offended group is for their extreme reactions to such things.

Not in defense of the killer by any means, but on the other hand if a non-Christian teacher showed his class satirical cartoons of, say, Joan d'Arc or the Virgin Mary (in France!), anyone with any sense would see an uproar in the making.  Try showing Thais satire involving those who cannot be mentioned and see what kind of reception you get (your health insurance includes hospitalization, right?). 

What was this guy thinking?

Depends on who you talk in front of the students and some others would probably agree with you 

34 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Good point, and Buddhists don't go around killing people who use Buddhist art for decoration.

Isn't it a crime to use budda for decoration or a tattoo at least that's what the billboards around Bangkok say 

13 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I'm very sorry about the whole situation and I'd be more than happy if things were different. 

A  teacher, who I'd think loved these students and did a great job, was killed, because of a freaking cartoon character?

God, f_c__ng -shi_e, that's all a bit too much for me. 

"teaching about the Shoah was a problem. Talking about Israel was seen as an affront. Evoke colonization, equality between men and women, the complexity of history, the contextualization of a situation or a literary work, which are problematic.",

from today's Le Monde - Michaël Prazan

https://www.lemonde.fr/idees/article/2020/10/18/michael-prazan-au-dela-de-la-sideration-c-est-le-basculement-possible-de-notre-societe-qui-doit-nous-alarmer_6056459_3232.html

56 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And those Christians and whatnot among us that can freely come to Thailand for a "better way of living"? How bizarre is that?

I am not in any way religious, I do not follow any book that tells me anyone not Muslim is an infidel and should be dealt with......If I did, I would not move to a Christian country. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

And still.

The fact is Islamist terror has been acknowledged by Western intelligence agencies as going to be ongoing for decades. It's going to take a lot of effort and investment to turn the tide, both externally and internally within Islam. It has been identified that hate speech and vilification aimed at Islam in general are not constructive in the fight against terrorism. IMO, the French do seem to have started down the right path in countering Islamist terror, but as said it's going to be ongoing for a significant period of time, with more suffering.

'Abrogation' is one on the core transformative debates within Islam which has come to the fore in modern times due to the crimes of the likes of al 'Qaeda and ISIS. If you and others can be bothered to read a brief introduction to the debate, I trust you and others will find it informative.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/26351536?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

Mod/s: JSTOR is a credible organisation:

https://about.jstor.org/

Edited by simple1

2 hours ago, Oxx said:
2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, yes indeed. Clearly I did miss this.

No apology needed through.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-religion-of-peace/

Yes, the site has a narrow focus, so is inherently biased.  That doesn't mean it's inaccurate. 

It generally doesn't report violence inspired by religions other than Islam (except during Ramadan).  That said, there is very little non-Islamic violence to report.  For Ramadan 2020 the scorecard looked like this:

ramadan.2020.jpg

Previous years tell the same sad story about Islam.

Despite the site's narrow focus, its recording of Islamic atrocities is quite conservative.  To quote from the website:

"In 2014, the BBC did a thorough analysis of Islamic terror attacks occurring during the month of November.  They found 664 attacks and 5,042 deaths.  TROP listed only 284 attacks and 2,515 deaths for the month"

The site's methodology is explained at https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/site/the-list.aspx

It also provides details of every single attack it counts allowing for checking for factual accuracy.  They do occasionally make mistakes, and encourage people to report these.  I've spotted a few errors over the years (getting individuals' religions wrong, including reports from satirical sites) and they've taken down the incorrect information very quickly.

In short, if you want to understand the extent of Islam-inspired violence in the world, it's reliable.  If you want to hear about how kind and generous some Muslims are, or how murderous some Hindus are, you have to look elsewhere.

I consider YOUR boat well and truly floated.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sirocco said:

Personally, knowing very well the African, black, Arab mentality, they are not my best friends.

Lovely Sunday morning blinkers you have on there, absolutely lovely.

On a personal note, I generally dislike the Saracens because they cheated to win at rugby... but I don't hate them. If a friend of mine turned out to be a Saracen supporter, he would still be my friend... but he can buy his own beer.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, onebir said:
On 10/17/2020 at 5:43 AM, rooster59 said:

French broadcaster BFMTV reported that the suspected attacker was 18 years old and born in Moscow.

This seems strange...

If that surprises you, prepare to be gobsmacked when they publish his name.

5 hours ago, Morty T said:

In Saudia Arabia 1991, we (USMC) we were told we could not wear or openly show crosses, crucifixes or any other religious jewelry. It offended our Muslim " Hosts " all the while caricatures of Jesus and Jews, were the butt of all humor. 

Maybe you should sue your government for placing you in such a religiously hostile land?

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Wow! Thanks for that!

TUW_org.jpg.c673968ba4c0dc6e1f3041cfbe6c200b.jpg

Did some brief research - as expected another weirdo site. Founder talks about Obama being a Muslim blah, blah. Another good example where some members get their insights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Opl said:
2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do they complain having to live in a country of disbelievers and going amok because of it? 

Context.

Google it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1