SURVEY: Digital Nomads--Good for Thailand or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Digital Nomads--Good for Thailand or not?  

197 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Korn Chatikavanij, a former finance minister, has suggested that Thailand specifically court digital nomads to work in Thailand.  In your opinion, is this a worthwhile endeavor?  

Feel free to leave a comment.

Read more here:   https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1187354-make-thailand-a-hub-for-digital-nomads-suggests-influential-thai-politician/

• Haha 2

They need an easy way to get a Thai work Permit and become completely legal as a resident tax-payer.

Must have mandatory insurance or Social Security coverage and mimimum bank balance like a retiree.

It would be very good for Thai economy, in my opinion. As long as it doesn't turn into hub of tax evaders making lives difficult through new rules effecting those of that do things completely legally.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They are an irrelevance.

If treated as such, yes they are. It could be an opportunity to have a start-up incubator in Thailand, which could lead to a few successes creating jobs in a higher category than being <deleted> up to the sky on the rice fields. But that's not the goal is it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andyfez said:

Seeing as digital nomads don't pay tax, and choose where they want to live already.

What real benefits could be offered to persuade them to stay here?

Tax reductions? No.

I can only think visa paperwork would ask more questions than now, making it more complicated.

I'm kind of a digital nomad. I got work permit and pay tax on thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andyfez said:

Seeing as digital nomads don't pay tax, and choose where they want to live already.

What real benefits could be offered to persuade them to stay here?

Tax reductions? No.

I can only think visa paperwork would ask more questions than now, making it more complicated.

I would be happy to work and pay taxes in thailand. Unfortunately I can't register as freelancer.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LNKDES1 said:

True, but the number of retired expats unable to return should be a greater priority. They would spend much more money than the nomads, as their numbers would be far higher. 

Retired expats unable to return are most likely still sending money into Thailand to pay off their partner's houses etc etc.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lujanit said:

Need to see the details first.  As it stands now a Work Permit would be required and that is a can of worms no digital nomad wants to open. At the extreme it could lead to deportation.

I agree the WP as it stands is a can of worms and would not work for a Dig nomad.  There would have to be a financial set up much like we have for retirement where they can open a bank account and must every 6 months to a year show a minimum amount of money going into the account.

The big plus that nomads like is that the cost of living is cheap the weather is great and the beaches are a great place to live and work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

I agree the WP as it stands is a can of worms and would not work for a Dig nomad.  There would have to be a financial set up much like we have for retirement where they can open a bank account and must every 6 months to a year show a minimum amount of money going into the account.

The big plus that nomads like is that the cost of living is cheap the weather is great and the beaches are a great place to live and work.

i think its fine as it is, only us over 50 can get a proper visa

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, scammed said:

i think its fine as it is, only us over 50 can get a proper visa

That really irritates me - I can also meet the requirements - show 800,000 baht parked in a Thai bank, or 65,000 baht p/m transferred from abroad.

I'm not 50 + though ???? ... Why does one's age matter if it's only money?

I hope the BOI/SMART team do get this visa off the ground and don't make it too difficult to apply for.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

That really irritates me - I can also meet the requirements - show 800,000 baht parked in a Thai bank, or 65,000 baht p/m transferred from abroad.

I'm not 50 + though ???? ... Why does one's age matter if it's only money?

I hope the BOI/SMART team do get this visa off the ground and don't make it too difficult to apply for.

cause we old folks have wisdom,

cest la vie in all fairness

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

They will be introducing a freelancer visa which does not require a WP. Details should be released next month

seriously? that is interesting.

i know quite few people who work alone, or from home, and make lots of money, much

more than some companies and businesses with tens of workers.

thailand wants to have those kind of people, because they are big earners who can pay

a lot of taxes.

Right now at least 12 countries offer visas to remote worker's and others are working on offers of visa's for such purposes. Most require proof of a specific income level working remotely for a specified amount of time prior to applying for the visa. The visa's are multiple entry and offer validity of a minimum of one year. They also require the worker's to have insurance and a negative Covid-19 test.

Doing a simple Google search, I didn't see any who require you to pay income tax to the host country. Some of these visa's can cost as much as $2k USD. 

I personally think that these countries see that remote workers require all the basic needs such as food, housing, utilities, entertainment, fast reliable internet, etc which may not be a huge spike in the economy but will help regardless especially with the initial cost of the visa.

Bear in mind, these countries are targeting remote worker's and NOT backpackers.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out for the countries offering the visa's. My biggest takeaway so far from what I've read is that these countries, unlike LOS, actually want foreigners from countries other than China.

Like everything else, Thailand will probably come up with a half baked plan that requires more hoops to jump through than most people are willing to endure.

I think the real question here is, will Thailand be good for digital nomads? Time will tell. 

Edited by TD2312
Added additional comments

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

thailand wants to have those kind of people, because they are big earners who can pay

a lot of taxes.

TBH if their business model is entirely portable, they'd probably go elsewhere if taxed unless they're taxed very lightly...

• Like 1