SURVEY: Digital Nomads--Good for Thailand or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Digital Nomads--Good for Thailand or not?  

197 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Have you ever paid income tax here? I didn’t get the intense burning feeling in my backside as I did in the UK. 

If something was received in return, then why shouldn’t people contribute? that would include entitlement to visa renewal instead of attending local immigration every year with cap, that would include government health care  -  There’s no such thing as a free lunch, and that goes both ways - another reason I am against this digital nomad visa, it would be a one way street.

I’m happier to pay directly rather than the money that’s taken by Thai companies with no tax receipts under the pretense that it’s being paid on your behalf.

I did until I went freelance over 11 years in the kitty here. Inspent time in the phils, switched to freelance and now im back I cant be arsed.

But you are right, taxes here are not as painful.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

You said it my friend. You are trying to justify the indefensibly.  As you must know very well, we are talking here  of direct taxation not indirect, discretionary taxation. 

Nah, I just like baiting the righteous. Im happy you enjoy being taxed, however I have no qualms avoiding it altogether, either moral or financial.

I probably question many things you accept.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Hope you get caught an deported like the other freeloaders

Freeloader? Definition; a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.

What has the Thai government generously given me that i have not given anything in return for? I paid for the visa and extensions. I pay for all my utilities, food, housing etc... the list goes on.

I openly talk with immigration officers about my online activities as i have been here for years and they are friendly officers. If there were any issues i'm sure they would have told me to stop talking about it, they are the gatekeepers!

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

nobody likes to sacrifice their money to taxation, however, we all see the result of a peoples who avoid it and  don't pay their fair share, African countries come to mind, as does Greece and even Thailand . It can bankrupt a country and a community and disadvantages the most vulnerable . My last word on this post, is that I deplore attitude's like the ones you are expressing.  They are  anti social, immoral  and unacceptable in my view.  They are the view of individuals who are living on the efforts and commitment of others.

Deplore. Anti-social. Immoral. Unacceptable. 

Just listen to you. Could you be by more strident? Next you will tell me I should be vegan and that all drugs except alcohol are bad.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Hope you get caught an deported like the other freeloaders

Hahaha. You are calling someone who works for a living a free loader because their choice of employment doesnt meet their criteria.

Meanwhile the American President himself pays less in tax annually than most of you pony up willingly each and every year.

Who are you people? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Freeloader? Definition; a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.

What has the Thai government generously given me that i have not given anything in return for? I paid for the visa and extensions. I pay for all my utilities, food, housing etc... the list goes on.

I openly talk with immigration officers about my online activities as i have been here for years and they are friendly officers. If there were any issues i'm sure they would have told me to stop talking about it, they are the gatekeepers!

People could have a better social security system here if there weren't that much non social freelancers who don't pay any tax and feel good about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

People could have a better social security system here if there weren't that much non social freelancers who don't pay any tax and feel good about it.

Thai people could have a better pension if i, as a foreigner and non beneficiary, pay for them to have it? Now who's freeloading?

You seem to be conflating government expenditure decisions with a miniscule proportion of the non-thai population. The tiny drop in tax we could pay wouldn't make any difference.

Although we may stay in Thailand longer than 180 days (for tax residence purposes) we are not able to apply for a tax ID without documentation such as working for a Thai entity, or a foreign company with a presence in Thailand.

Until the government change their tax rules and accept us as tax payers, there is nothing more I can do for the social security system i'm afraid. Sorry! Would like to help, but Prayut & co need to pull a finger or two out of somewhere first.

I used to teach science 'online' from Thailand.  I had an Elite visa, but working online is really a bit of a grey area in THailand, as  far as 'work' and work permits are concerned.

In order to eliminate my concerns, I relocated to Laos.  Now I have a business visa, work permit for teaching online and a local ID card.  I inject money into the local economy and have zero concerns about the legality of my online work ????

Hey - I have to go!  I have a Chemistry lesson for a boy in France in 6 minutes....

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They could have a much better social security system here if the government focused on collecting tax from their own citizens and stopped the wealthy from shirking their responsibilities.

Most of the commerce I see on the street daily occurs in cash and off the books.

I have paid my cleaner in cash for over 10 years, she has not paid a dime on it,  I am certain. Most thais I encounter outside he professional world pay no tax.

But why would she? the society is so corrupt that you can be assured she will reap little benefit from her contribution.

The fact that there is very little in the way of social assistance in thailand is proof that there is not intended to be. There are other priorities. 

My landlord is a rich as  Croesus, an very old and established if not influential family,  but he wont acknowledge my 15 year tenancy in writing, because he doesnt want to be liable for tax. I havent talked to him in 5 years, I just deposit my rent every few months and we are good.

Your comment shows just how badly you need to grasp at straws to maintain the moral high ground. Its a lagheable attemp that shows only your predjudices agsinst people who dont agree with you.

Its sad, really.

And the proper term is anti-social, if you are going to throw insults, get them right. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Thai people could have a better pension if i, as a foreigner and non beneficiary, pay for them to have it? Now who's freeloading?

You seem to be conflating government expenditure decisions with a miniscule proportion of the non-thai population. The tiny drop in tax we could pay wouldn't make any difference.

Although we may stay in Thailand longer than 180 days (for tax residence purposes) we are not able to apply for a tax ID without documentation such as working for a Thai entity, or a foreign company with a presence in Thailand.

Until the government change their tax rules and accept us as tax payers, there is nothing more I can do for the social security system i'm afraid. Sorry! Would like to help, but Prayut & co need to pull a finger or two out of somewhere first.

If you want to work here you either get a job or start a company. In both cases you will need to pay tax. finding feeble excuses nit to do so won't stick. Move to another country where you can freelance

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, n00dle said:

They could have a much better social security system here if the government focused on collecting tax from their own citizens and stopped the wealthy from shirking their responsibilities.

Most of the commerce I see on the street daily occurs in cash and off the books.

I have paid my cleaner in cash for over 10 years, she has not paid a dime on it,  I am certain. Most thais I encounter outside he professional world pay no tax.

But why would she? the society is so corrupt that you can be assured she will reap little benefit from her contribution.

The fact that there is very little in the way of social assistance in thailand is proof that there is not intended to be. There are other priorities. 

My landlord is a rich as  Croesus, an very old and established if not influential family,  but he wont acknowledge my 15 year tenancy in writing, because he doesnt want to be liable for tax. I havent talked to him in 5 years, I just deposit my rent every few months and we are good.

Your comment shows just how badly you need to grasp at straws to maintain the moral high ground. Its a lagheable attemp that shows only your predjudices agsinst people who dont agree with you.

Its sad, really.

And the proper term is anti-social, if you are going to throw insults, get them right. 

Your cleaner doesn't have to pay tax if she earn less than 300K per year. You on the other hand as her employer should pay tax. So you <deleted>ting on the law again. 

once again they are touching the wasps.

allowed or not digital nomads are everywhere and it is impossible to arrest remote workers, unless the person is really a dumb 455.

the richest guys do their work remotely when spending time in Thailand, the average john can't because he is breaking the laws, c'mon give a break. this subject is more or less on these lines "catch me if you can" 

good luck trying to regulate the unregulated.

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your cleaner doesn't have to pay tax if she earn less than 300K per year. You on the other hand as her employer should pay tax. So you <deleted>ting on the law again. 

So thats your take away from my entire post?

Best we end our brief interaction here. 

I get more intelligent and thoughtful responses discussing issues like this with my cat.

She doesnt say much, but she doesnt say anything stupid either.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

So thats your take away from my entire post?

Best we end our brief interaction here. 

I get more intelligent and thoughtful responses discussing issues like this with my cat.

She doesnt say much, but she doesnt say anything stupid either.

That is your way of saying, oeps I said something silly and don't know what to do next. fine by may. Next time pay social security for the people you employ.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:02 AM, bkk_bwana said:

Bear in mind that only a few digital nomads make money. Most just get by. One of the reasons why they come to cheaper places such as SE ASia is because they can live cheaply on the low earnings that they make.

Isn't that retired folks and backpacking school teachers?

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 2