Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

Walk away now!' Boris backed over tough stance and ordered to end 'nonsense' Brexit talks

BORIS JOHNSON has been urged to follow through with his threats to the EU and to leave the bloc with no deal, according to a new survey.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1348894/brexit-news-boris-johnson-latest-eu-trade-talks-no-deal-brexit-express-poll

1 hour ago, RayC said:

And if we accept for a minute that is true, why is it necessarily a bad thing?

Look at the graphs: of all EU member states, ONLY Spain performed worse that the British "Empire", with 

1. UK GDP fell by 20.4% in Quarter 2 (Apr to June) 2020
  2. https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/bulletins/gdpmonthlyestimateuk/june2020#gdp-fell-significantly-in-quarter-2-apr-to-june-2020-with-widespread-contractions-across-all-main-sectors-of-the-econom
  3. Growth of real gross domestic product (GDP) in EU member states in the 2nd quarter 2020 
  4. https://www.statista.com/statistics/263008/gdp-growth-in-eu-countries-compared-to-same-quarter-previous-year/

Really, a magnificent job.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

You have 3 types of people involved in the Brexit debate 

1) Those that are hardcore racist and xenophobe. For them Brexit was keeping foreigners out, they had little understanding of anything else. 

2) The pretend interlectual folk, who claimed it was for economic reasons but in reality it was because they hated foreigners. 

3) Those who love fish. And are prepared to wreck the economy for the love of fish. 

But type 3 only love British fish. Right? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Walk away now!' Boris backed over tough stance and ordered to end 'nonsense' Brexit talks

BORIS JOHNSON has been urged to follow through with his threats to the EU and to leave the bloc with no deal, according to a new survey.

Did somebody already find anybody in a ditch somewhere ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"I have concluded that we should get ready for January 1 with arrangements that are more like Australia's based on simple principles of global free trade," Johnson said.

BJ never had any intentions of making a deal and follow people's vote.... he had the plan B in mind long ago and that's why he hired Tony Abbott, to finalize the Australia type deal, he can't be trusted 555

https://www.indy100.com/article/tony-abbott-brexit-trade-adviser-uk-government-australia-tv-9707331

Australian TV ridicules Britain for hiring Tony Abbott as trade adviser

An Australian news presenter said that "beggars can't be choosers" when discussing Tony Abbott's appointment as a senior trade advisor to the British government.

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Tofer said:

The EU have no respect for our upcoming status as an independent country, (...)

So how do you come to the conclusion that UK are being treated as " a third country"?

You’ve answered your own question. Your interests or feelings are not our concern anymore. Your “upcoming status as an independent country” is  not our business. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

I think we all know that there cannot be any "no deal" between us, the matter is what deal (right now it's extremely limited) and when (right now I think it's still 50-50 we get a deal next january).

the present situation is really unconfortable for the UK as uncertainty itself is a serious liability, so I understand the UK is not willing to prolong the "transition" situation.

The main asset of the UK (at the hefty cost of years and years of austerity) was a controlled national debt (-20% compared to the national debt of France). Now with Covid-19, this major asset is gone... I'm not sure how "global britain" could compete with the EU on low taxation.

uk_debt_june_2020_png-640[1].webp

Edited by Hi from France

7 minutes ago, dunque said:

I cannot see how the EU can stop UK fishermen selling to the UK - so maybe that was a typo. But the fact remains that the EU will find it hard to substitute any embargoed UK fish - it would really be a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Anyway, it is an open secret that the UK has offered transitional arrangements over 4 years - which wil be used by Germany and other non-coastal EU states to strongarm Macron to give up his silly willy waving.

tescos will  be awash with cheap fish so whos complaining ,new markets have been opened around the north to trade fish from ship to seller

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

What always makes me laugh is 'expats' (they don't like being referred to as immigrants) in Thailand are really up for Brexit. Despite the pound have collapsed by 20% since the vote, and potential to collapse another 20-30% after we leave without a trade deal. 

They are all on pensions from the UK - yet even making them worst off, they are still prepared to go for it. That's some deep heavy stuff there. 

I love these financial experts. I had somebody telling me the pound would be worth half what it is today...

Still waiting.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Of course it does.

How?

Under the terms of our membership, UK governments were unable to conduct trade negotiations with other nations until we formally left the EU on 31/1/20.  Agreed. A fact.

However apart from that, how did the lack of a WA - or more generally the EU - prevent successive UK governments preparing UK businesses for life post-transition?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

What always makes me laugh is 'expats' (they don't like being referred to as immigrants) in Thailand are really up for Brexit. Despite the pound have collapsed by 20% since the vote, and potential to collapse another 20-30% after we leave without a trade deal. 

They are all on pensions from the UK - yet even making them worst off, they are still prepared to go for it. That's some deep heavy stuff there. 

Your percentages are as wrong as your assumptions. You must be from Barcelona.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

got anything serious on this rape thing?

from what we are seeing from France, the Great Scallop War, you have big industrial british boats coming in our waters and I do not think "raping" is antyhing but populist rhetoric, but indeed they are not respecting the resource.

Ironically the little "artisanal" french boat cannot fish themselves to preserve the scallops (les français ne pouvant pêcher les coquilles que du 1er octobre au 15 mai, tandis que les Britanniques ont l'autorisation de pêcher toute l'année).

What, don't like it when the shoes on the other foot. They didn't look like big industrial boats on the news report I saw, of 20 or so French fishing boats attacking 2 British trawlers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Imo using 2020 as a basis of comparison is pointless. After all, it is an exceptional year for all the wrong reasons.

got anything serious on this rape thing?

from what we are seeing from France, the Great Scallop War, you have big industrial british boats coming in our waters and I do not think "raping" is antyhing but populist rhetoric, but indeed they are not respecting the resource.

Ironically the little "artisanal" french boat cannot fish themselves to preserve the scallops (les français ne pouvant pêcher les coquilles que du 1er octobre au 15 mai, tandis que les Britanniques ont l'autorisation de pêcher toute l'année).

And by the way, this is an international forum, and I believe the international language is English.

I stopped communicating in French after being humiliated in my attempts at making a reasonable effort by your wonderful countrymen.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Good to see you can at least laugh at yourself.

No, that was a laugh at the citizens of UK, if it´s a fact that it is like the post I quoted said. You really must learn to not lose grip of the thread.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

yet have no wish to be ruled by a federal European government.

I try to understand this concept, but it doesn't really work for me.

I mean I am not aware of being ruled in any  way by the E.U..

I am 72, and since the beginning Belgium is part of the E.U., in all these years, except the implementation of the Euro ( which was rather struggling ) I don't know of anything being of any importance.

I know it is there, as I know we have a king.

I mean Belgium is a kingdom, but here also this never had any influence on my daily life.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"
the French can only fish for shells from October 1 to May 15, while the British are allowed to fish all year round"

And the French take 85% of the fish from the English Channel, while British boats take 9%. Hanky? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

I think we all know that there cannot be any "no deal" between us, the matter is what deal (right now it's extremely limited) and when (right now I think it's still 50-50 we get a deal next january).

uk_debt_june_2020_png-640[1].webp 18.79 kB · 0 downloads

You seriously underestimate Johnson's propensity to do the wrong thing. He is talking about an 'Australian type' deal, which is WTO terms under another name.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

" Tomorrow belongs to me..."

Now where have I heard that chorus before, it seems vaguely familiar...

I really don't know ,but  now i became curious from who that line ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Poor argument relative to the overall fishing imbalance. 

Here is one of these huge British scallopers. Enormous eh? ????

Boats attacked in scallops row - ITV News

The biggest and most damaging boats are owned by the Dutch and their preferred fishing methods are literally 'shocking'.

image.jpeg.cdc755fd0d31756784e864c25c2839fa.jpeg

And the Spanish make waste wherever they go.

From the Dutch I read there is serious beef with their electric fishing systems, but this does not concern scallop fishing.

Now fishing is extremely complex, scallop is just a small part of it. 

What is clearly bad is that it used to be very hard to have a sustainable fishery policy and this is going to be a lot harder. 

Fish know mostly no borders and this is going to turn a (partial) win-win sustainable policy into a lose-lose. 

• Like 1