Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

11 minutes ago, Tofer said:

And by the way, this is an international forum, and I believe the international language is English.

I stopped communicating in French after being humiliated in my attempts at making a reasonable effort by your wonderful countrymen.

The same can happen here in reverse way to non native English ones  ....

Strange enough almost never done by  Americans on the board ????

It never stopped me ….????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

You really are a newbie bundle of laughs....????

Yes. 

54 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

I think we all know that there cannot be any "no deal" between us, the matter is what deal (right now it's extremely limited) and when (right now I think it's still 50-50 we get a deal next january).

the present situation is really unconfortable for the UK as uncertainty itself is a serious liability, so I understand the UK is not willing to prolong the "transition" situation.

The main asset of the UK (at the hefty cost of years and years of austerity) was a controlled national debt (-20% compared to the national debt of France). Now with Covid-19, this major asset is gone... I'm not sure how "global britain" could compete with the EU on low taxation.

uk_debt_june_2020_png-640[1].webp 18.79 kB · 0 downloads

Debt as an asset? Whatever. I should check your numbers again. Do you think that the virus cost will only affect the UK?

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/16/uk-credit-rating-downgraded-by-moodys-amid-growth-concerns

UK credit rating downgraded by Moody's amid growth concerns
Ratings agency cites weakening economy, Brexit woes and coronavirus shocks

Phillip Inman
@phillipinman
Fri 16 Oct 2020 23.34 BST

Credit ratings agency Moody’s has downgraded Britain’s credit status, citing a decline in economic strength in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and continued Brexit uncertainty.

With the government struggling to contain a second wave and ministers under pressure to sanction extra spending to protect businesses and jobs, Moody’s lowered the UK’s sovereign debt rating by one notch to Aa3 from Aa2.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Fish know mostly no borders and this is going to turn a (partial) win-win sustainable policy into a lose-lose. 

"Lose-lose" pretty well sums up the whole Brexit fiasco. It seems that each time someone points out how a course of action will adversely affect the UK/EU, someone from the opposing faction justifies it by saying "Ah, but it'll be just as bad for the EU/UK".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

"Lose-lose" pretty well sums up the whole Brexit fiasco. It seems that each time someone points out how a course of action will adversely affect the UK/EU, someone from the opposing faction justifies it by saying "Ah, but it'll be just as bad for the EU/UK".

Only the E.U. did not started Brexit .... and has to protect their interests not give away to a now "third country " and so only negational  …. just like with any other country not in the bloc 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

sorry by "asset", I meant low debt level is good.

Covid-19 didn't affect the UK only, but until now, the management of the pandemic by BJ (and DC) was probably not the best in the world.

And now there are both the GDP going down and governement spending going up so the good debt/GDP ratio that used to be a considerable UK "advantage"  (not saying asset) is no more

The country rating does not only list brexit and covid, but also erosion of UK's fiscal strength and the weakening in the UK's institutions and governance

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-downgrades-the-UKs-ratings-to-Aa3-outlook-stable--PR_434172

To me (and beyond fishing, which is very symbolic indeed), this is where the real issues are. 

Likewise, event the most comprehensive Brexit deal would not cover Services, which are 80% of the UK economy and another decisive "strong suit" (not saying asset again ???? ) of the UK

A lot of add-ons there. How is the French debt doing then?

2 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Anyway this might be the last time big English scallopers boat have access the the Bay of Seine while samller french boats are barred from fishing on conservation grounds.

They are maybe trying to reap as much a they can before it's over?

Now there's an opinion that stems from the voice of experience... We're not all like the French.

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You’ve answered your own question. Your interests or feelings are not our concern anymore. Your “upcoming status as an independent country” is  not our business. 

Is that why you've spent almost 5 years trying to reverse or dilute the Brexit decision.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

Back on topic : in his video address Johnson repeatedly demanded a Canada - style deal.

Actually, you know this type of deal we signed with Canada, it's called CETA

.. But it turns out the Johnson government choose not to negotiate a Ceta-type deal 

Poor deluded soul....

46 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Yep, that's the crux of it. The EU are desperate not to let the other member states know that they would be better off out. They're acting like an abusive husband. 

What the EU could've / should've done was to say; the UK have contributed hugely to the EU over decades. For that reason we will allow them a fair deal. That deal would not be available to exiting member states who have not contributed the same. 

That would stop all the sponge states from leaving, and we all know France and Germany won't leave because they pull all the strings. It could've been made so much easier if the EU had taken that approach.  

Sorry, I take issue with the statement - "allow them a fair deal".  We're not stood in line with a begging bowl! It's a two way street my friend. We don't want any special deals from EU, a simple Canada style deal will do, not contingent on any good will, or preferential treatment of a previous member state. No cherries, no cake, just a simple straight forward, unencumbered, mutually beneficial deal will do.

But the EU are acting like a bunch of snubbed brats, and have thrown their dolly out of the pram, insisting on punishing the UK, to set an example to others considering the same action.

I'm no economic expert, nor am I vindictive, but I sincerely hope it backfires on the EU to teach them a lesson. Som nam nah.

Edited by Tofer
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Back on topic : in his video address Johnson repeatedly demanded a Canada - style deal.

Actually, you know this type of deal we signed with Canada, it's called CETA

.. But it turns out the Johnson government choose not to negotiate a Ceta-type deal 

Are you suggesting the EU have offered us a Canada style FTA with no strings attached, i.e. same terms as Canada got? If that's the case I'm sure Barmier and co would be shouting that from the rooftops right now. I think you have been hoodwinked mon ami. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Sorry, I take issue with the statement - "allow them a fair deal".  We're not stood in line with a begging bowl! It's a two way street my friend. We don't want any special deals from EU, a simple Canada style deal will do, not contingent on any good will, or preferential treatment of a previous member state. No cherries, no cake, just a simple straight forward, unencumbered, mutually beneficial deal will do.

But the EU are acting like a bunch of snubbed brats, and have thrown their dolly out of the pram, insisting on punishing the UK, to set an example to others considering the same action.

I'm no economic expert, nor am I vindictive, but I sincerely hope it backfires on the EU to teach them a lesson. Som nam nah.

"allow them a fair deal" is just the way the EU would have to pitch it to their subjects. In reality they endangering a standard and mutually beneficial trade deal with their demands for judicial oversight, access to fishing waters etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

A lot of add-ons there. How is the French debt doing then?

not well either indeed, I do not really dare looking it up ...

now, what I'm simply stating is there is a very very big additional issue for the UK here. The national debt, that was previously quite well-managed (at a terrible cost for poverty in the country and the NHS in my opinion), has become another handicap.

now this is another matter, but about Covid, the UE has set up a €750bn (£682bn) pandemic recovery fund. Given that the UK is the hardest-hit economy in Europe after Spain (please correct me if needed), it seems to me that being a member the UE now would really a huge help for a hard-hit country, and the UK missed that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Yep, that's the crux of it. The EU are desperate not to let the other member states know that they would be better off out. They're acting like an abusive husband. 

And what evidence is there to suggest that any other member state would be better off out of the EU. (Please don't post a table of contributions. It's pretty obvious that some states will be net contributors).

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

What the EU could've / should've done was to say; the UK have contributed hugely to the EU over decades. For that reason we will allow them a fair deal. That deal would not be available to exiting member states who have not contributed the same. 

That would stop all the sponge states from leaving, and we all know France and Germany won't leave because they pull all the strings. It could've been made so much easier if the EU had taken that approach.  

The UK's past contributions to the EU budget are completely irrelevant when it comes to making a trade deal.

Why would a 'sponge' state leave? They are getting paid for being a member?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

it's more complicated than that what I read here

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/16/boris-johnson-australia-style-trading-system-brexit-uk

.... is that if the UK wanted a Canada-style deal, it should simply have planned to do so, e.g. the English imposing a very tight schedule simply does not give enough time. The very limited schedule an refusal to extend the negociation can only allow an "all or nothing / no quota" deal.

Brexit was a British demand (more English in fact, since Scotland and Northern Ireland wanted to remain), and it is the the brits above all, who are setting the timetable.

The CETA negociations started in 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Economic_and_Trade_Agreement

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think at any point the EU have offered this with a reasonable timescale. If they did then they would be shouting about it now. It would be ideal ammunition for the blame game. 

13 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

not well either indeed, I do not really dare looking it up ...

now, what I'm simply stating is there is a very very big additional issue for the UK here. The national debt, that was previously quite well-managed (at a terrible cost for poverty in the country and the NHS in my opinion), has become another handicap.

now this is another matter, but about Covid, the UE has set up a €750bn (£682bn) pandemic recovery fund. Given that the UK is the hardest-hit economy in Europe after Spain (please correct me if needed), it seems to me that being a member the UE now would really a huge help for a hard-hit country, and the UK missed that.

Think not. The fund set up by the thrifty EU states to help out especially italy,Spain etc,is a poisoned chalice,untouched by any of the desperate ones   Too many poisoness conditions attached to the offerings, will see Italy leave the EU in couple of years

Troika     thats the word was looking for      Leave Italy etc  just likened to Greece

Edited by izod10
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

And what evidence is there to suggest that any other member state would be better off out of the EU. (Please don't post a table of contributions. It's pretty obvious that some states will be net contributors).

The UK's past contributions to the EU budget are completely irrelevant when it comes to making a trade deal.

Why would a 'sponge' state leave? They are getting paid for being a member?

I said it's what the EU are afraid of, I didn't say other states would be better off. 

I agree sponge states would not leave. And the EU could have made doubly sure of that by making it clear they wouldn't get a good deal. 

Edited by CG1 Blue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

You are exposing your myopic views again.

Australia, South Africa and South America have fantastic grapes and I suspect British consumers will be buying them ahead of EU sour grapes until they give us a fair and mutually beneficial FTA. 

Haven't bought a bottle of French wine in years, overpriced and overrated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

43 minutes ago, Tofer said:

You and Johnson might think a Canada style deal 'mutually beneficial', but the UK government has obviously failed to convince the EU that is the case and that's what matters .

Absolute tosh. Opinion without any evidence to support it.

Sounds vindictive to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For every yin, there's a yang; for every high, a low. Yesterday we were ecstatic about the fantastic trade deal with Cote D'Ivoire, today comes the crushing blow that that same Brexit that brought us such great opportunities as closer ties to Timor Leste, has forced William Shatner to cease trading with the UK. Brexit is, sadly, no Starship Enterprise for him. 

20201017_191924.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sungod said:

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I said it's what the EU are afraid of, I didn't say other states would be better off. 

I agree sponge states would not leave. And the EU could have made doubly sure of that by making it clear they wouldn't get a good deal. 

I'm sorry but I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

• Like 1