Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

7 hours ago, Tofer said:

I love these financial experts. I had somebody telling me the pound would be worth half what it is today...

Still waiting.....

Moodys and the Bank of England are predicting a 20% fall in the Pound if there is a no deal Brexit. 

I was getting 55 Baht to the pound weeks before Brexit. I am lucky if i get 40 now. That's more than 20% fall. 

Another 20% and you are looking at 30 Baht to the pound. But hey those fish ! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yet again another dingbat conveniently disregarding the 13% rise in the Baht over the last 5 years.

Which means a fall in the Pound will be even worst.

Do you ackowledge that the vote caused a 20% fall in the value of the pound? If you are denial by this FACT then there is no hope to even have a conversation.

Then all major forecasters are saying the Pound will collapse another 20% (minimum) - even a forced collapase to keep exports competative. 

And you are okay with this ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Moodys and the Bank of England are predicting a 20% fall in the Pound if there is a no deal Brexit. 

I was getting 55 Baht to the pound weeks before Brexit. I am lucky if i get 40 now. That's more than 20% fall. 

..and the euro  lol

5 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

BoE is a globalist organisation, they've always been leaders in Project Fear.

As far as I can see the Euro is likely to do worse than the pound.

All the Euro countries are having severe economic problems.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hi from France said:

it's more complicated than that what I read here

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/16/boris-johnson-australia-style-trading-system-brexit-uk

.... is that if the UK wanted a Canada-style deal, it should simply have planned to do so, e.g. the English imposing a very tight schedule simply does not give enough time. The very limited schedule an refusal to extend the negociation can only allow an "all or nothing / no quota" deal.

Brexit was a British demand (more English in fact, since Scotland and Northern Ireland wanted to remain), and it is the the brits above all, who are setting the timetable.

The CETA negociations started in 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Economic_and_Trade_Agreement

You are French and post links from the Guardian, hmmmmm, don't I know you from somewhere....????

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Yes, the EU would have loved another extension to the transition period - more money in their coffers for nothing in return. They've already managed to drag it out over 5 years with the complicit T May, enough is enough.

Exactly.

13 hours ago, Hi from France said:

not well either indeed, I do not really dare looking it up ...

now, what I'm simply stating is there is a very very big additional issue for the UK here. The national debt, that was previously quite well-managed (at a terrible cost for poverty in the country and the NHS in my opinion), has become another handicap.

now this is another matter, but about Covid, the UE has set up a €750bn (£682bn) pandemic recovery fund. Given that the UK is the hardest-hit economy in Europe after Spain (please correct me if needed), it seems to me that being a member the UE now would really a huge help for a hard-hit country, and the UK missed that.

How about Greece?

9 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

I’ve been living here since 2008 and I don’t remember getting 55 tbh to the pound just before brexit

4 minutes ago, Misab said:

I see the EU as the best thing that has happened in Europe. The problem was the UK, who always wanted more and wanted to paid less, but now they are out. Thanks you so much. Finally, let them be happy, let them leave without a deal.

The Funniest thing I have read today.....:clap2:....

PS. I think you had better take another look at your sums, and discover how much money the UK was throwing into the EU coffers against the other 27 countries....????

But yes, we most certainly are happy to be out of the EU, you can stew there chap...:thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Tofer said:

We don't want any special deals from EU, a simple Canada style deal will do, not contingent on any good will, or preferential treatment of a previous member state. No cherries, no cake, just a simple straight forward, unencumbered, mutually beneficial deal will do.

if that's is (was) the case why the UK keeps going back and forth asking for more and more concessions .... did you heard BJ last week  asking for a "special" treatment from the EU based on the 45 years relationship they had,  if that was not asking for a special deal....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, andyg75 said:

I’ve been living here since 2008 and I don’t remember getting 55 tbh to the pound just before brexit

Thinking about it I don’t think I was getting 55tbh back in 2008 so where did this figure of 55 Thb just before brexit come from

4 minutes ago, andyg75 said:

Thinking about it I don’t think I was getting 55tbh back in 2008 so where did this figure of 55 Thb just before brexit come from

In 2008 it was mainly over 60 until near the end of year.

5 minutes ago, andyg75 said:

You were getting Jan 2008 high 50's then in the 60's, started dropping off late 2008..