Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

Boris Johnson has formally signed the EU withdrawal agreement, smiling as he described it as a “fantastic moment” for the country.

(..)

The signed copy of the agreement was sent in a diplomatic bag to Downing Street for the prime minister’s signature. On Thursday the withdrawal agreement received royal assent from the Queen.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/24/sombre-eu-leaders-sign-brexit-withdrawal-agreement

Capture d’écran 2020-10-18 192756.jpg

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 12:42 AM, vogie said:

Does anyone believe what the media says anymore, whatever the source, if we are to understand it, Lord Frost has told Mr Barnier not to bother coming unless the EU can try to understand the UKs position. Macron has said he still wants total fishing rights to the UKs waters and by anybodies standard that has to be an impossible ask. So when Macron said he wants to protect the French fishing industries, he has ended up with nothing and as the rest of the EU, so let's all clap for Mr Macron.

So unless Mr Barnier comes across on a rubber dinghy, he'll not be coming.

Macron is, as France always has done, playing the tough line with Britain, remembery didn't want us in the EEC in the first place. So Macrons posturing is of no surprise or consequence.

BJ has played this right, the onus is now on the  EU to come up with something different

There will be a deal in whatever shape or form and as always it will be left to the last minute.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lormak said:

The British public voted overwhelming to leave the corrupt and evil EU. Out means out! We want a clean no-deal Brexit!

Companies have had years to prepare for Brexit. Any difficulties are self-inflicted. Most companies speaking in favour of the EU are thinking only of their own financial interests and not those of the Great British Public!!!

My company (+£3bill uk t/over) has prepared already at significant cost last year only for it not to happen

If you could tell me how we can prepare (again) including any knowledge you may have of duty tariffs, quota charges, health certificates and further legislation then I am at your disposal.

You may want a no-deal Brexit but that's not neccessarily what those who voted leave want.

What do you expect companies will do....Of course they are going to look after their interests. Name me one company that looks after those "of the Great British Public" over themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

I assume that is an meant as an insult. Obviously you do not know me. Keep cranky and carry on.

Why would it be an insult? You started to question me if I had OD:ed on a old brand of mashed potato.......? Then I answer no, and that what I post is something that is becoming a fat reality for you. If living in reality is an insult to you, it seems like you share that with many Brits.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, elliss said:

Just make sure , the lower caste in the UK , on benefits / zero hours .

Can still purchases  affordable  imported food , from the EU,,  Aldi and Lidl .

They only exist / survive through the EU's protectionism. Let's see how they compete when we're trading on an open world market for ourselves. Unless, of course, they also avail themselves of the opportunity to buy products cheaper from elsewhere from their UK based businesses, unencumbered by the EU rules and regulations. Double standards perhaps?

15 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

My God someone with common sense and i applaud you. We never had this many problems when we werent in the EU before and this would be the best solution.

Only thing i would change is f*** closing the tunnel blow it up cut all ties.

Why are you tired of the UK its not as if your from the UK and its not as if you have to give a toss about what the UK does.

Does it affect you in any way or are you just retarded in saying your tired of the UK. Who really gives a toss if your tired of the UK.....lol clown.

Out of curiosity where you from then ? Probably Russia or the Eastern Block ? Humour me with an answer lol.

Noooo, still laughing at your post....????

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dimitriv said:

No, I am tired of the UK and their populism. 

In my home country they try not to broadcast television interviews with Trump, because most people will zapp away and continue looking at another channel. This costs money, it's a waste of money for television channels. Less viewers, less income from advertisements. 

Same happens now with Johnson. Most people put him on par with Trump. Simply disgusting.

I would really prefer to block the UK completely. Nothing in, nothing out. Cancel all flights, forbid any financial transactions. Let them live on their island and trade with other countries.

Sounds like you have been burned, or are going to be burned by the UK's exit.....????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If you are leaving the EU, just do that. If you wish a trade deal with the EU, then you will have to meet their demands. You wanted out, and now you have that result. Deal with it, and stop the whining. Go without a deal if you not want to meet the demands. Who do you think suffer most? UK or EU?

I think you are out of your depth sunbeam......????

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What do you mean with no substance? As you make your bed.......and so on. Yes, you have left.

So, did you think that the EU needs you, and you would be treated like kings and be welcomed without demands? Hilarious! Just live with your decision and stop complain!

That´s your bed at the moment. Not so soft, and not so comfortable, right?

Your UK envy is showing....????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hi from France said:

For those of you who have time 

I'm watching the parliamentary

Brexit Environment Sub-Committee

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/547b6473-a15e-47f3-bafc-14b8a294c3f8

As you can see, the Brexit situation whether there is a deal or not is deeply worrying 

After watching the intro and when you get bored, you can skip: 10:54 is particularly interesting. There are talking about replicating REACH in Britain, and this is simply not feasible on a market one-tenth the size of the UE. 

Yet you cannot do without it. 

Likewise, the UK will loose the benefits 20 regulatory agencies (the country used to host drugs and banking, but there are many more). 

I was quite surprised to see the UK "slam the door" here and I think it is inevitable that it comes back in order to mutualize what a single country cannot afford. 

As you know, we already incorporate REACH legislation into our systems so I do not understand why we have to change it. ALl that is needed is for companies to keep up with EU policy changes if they are to continue trading. His comment on Tarriffs is sound but all companies are in the same boat at the moment.

The Government hasn't slammed the door, merely left it ajar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Their is no context to include them, Bulldog Breed is directed to the British so pray tell how is it insulting you, same goes for sunbeam. And bearing in mind you consistantly refer to our PM as a moron, you are fooling no one with your faux outrage.

I am referring to a third person. That´s a difference. The other is against forum rules.

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Why would it be an insult? You started to question me if I had OD:ed on a old brand of mashed potato.......? Then I answer no, and that what I post is something that is becoming a fat reality for you. If living in reality is an insult to you, it seems like you share that with many Brits.

More of the same...oh well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

"a phrase used to refer to British people in general, and especially to British soldiers. The bulldog, a strong British dog with a large head and short thick neck and legs, is traditionally used to represent qualities that some people liked to think were typically British, such as courage, loyalty and determination."

However you want to spin it, it is not an insult.

I didn't say it was an insult, i said that it was jingoistic.