Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I am not a Remainer.

But seeing that the outcome was 52/48, in my opinion a simple majority wasn't a good idea, but I respect the results.

However I have problems with the attitude of some of the winners.

Stating "Vae victis",  is according to me not the right attitude in a 52/48 result.

I apologise profusely.

I think you need to understand that a lot of the "attitude" stems from pure frustration, seeing the whole process dragged out by the manipulative EU aided and abetted by Mrs. May and the opposition.

I was on the fence in the early days of voting, and had I got the chance to vote, would probably have gone for remain, for purely selfish reasons, proved correct with the decimation of the pound, costing us many tens of thousands of pounds extra for our house build in Thailand shortly following the vote.

However, seeing the way the EU have conducted themselves has tipped the balance for me, and I am firmly in the leave camp now. 

I'm not saying Boris has handled the situation perfectly by any means, predominantly the signing of the WA was a huge mistake, but at least he is on track to get it done. That will be a great relief to many businesses and individuals, knowing that there is some certainty to look forward to now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You should tell that to your EU ill-mannered "leadership", like Tusk and your EU pinup boy Verhofstadt.

We are all here, what I consider as "normal people" with different opinions.

In no way I want to be compared with politicians, who are a different/apart sort, similar to lawyers, thus not be trusted.

For  sure we all become once or more "overheat", but no one should regularly put himself to the low  level of a politician.

Things sometimes escalate, and a pity is that each party is convinced it is all the fault of the other.

It is sad  to have to notice there is such a  row, if not worse, between people for politic reasons.

I will personally put things on a rest.

I will wait and see the outcome next year.

2 minutes ago, Tofer said:

dragged out by the manipulative EU

it's very funny the majority of Brits always blame the EU for any wrong doing in the negotiating process.... and more funny the EU people reverse the blame back to the UK, who should we believe, who's telling the truth? from where I stand I see BJ, Grove & Cummings just pouring more gas on the fire

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Highly doubtful you get another one within the next 15 years, but even if you get another one and win it will be 1-1. We'd need a tiebreaker to be sure. 

NO, 2-1. We had one in 74 when leaving was rejected. By a much bigger margin I might add.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, bannork said:

Cameron warned the UK would be trading on WTO terms if talks failed after 2 years.  But the Brexit supporting MPs told the public a deal with the EU would be easy.

It does not matter one iota what is shown to the remainers they turn and twist the evidence, Cameron was the top man at the time yet you choose to believe his subordinates, being selective in who you believe is part of being a remainer. You have it from the horses mouth, I cannot find anyone that outranks him so what he said should be taken as gospel.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, polpott said:

NO, 2-1. We had one in 74 when leaving was rejected. By a much bigger margin I might add.

Still advertised as the Common Market then.

9 minutes ago, polpott said:

Condemned at the time by Brexiteers as "Project fear". Show me where a member of the leave campaign said that.

Thanks for reminding us how many of those "project fear" pronouncements came true.

What are you talking about now?

• Haha 2

Looks like Boris is still winning, according to the rest of the world.

Well, if he continues like this, at least the UK will have huge export figures, since everything will be almost for free for the outside world, and since the Brits will have a huge supply of fish they don't have to worry about a hunger death

image.png.986fccdd9b041929b1f23a0b5d3d3822.png

Edited by Susco
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You need to stop bending the truth on the Canada subject. In 2017 the EU said a Canada style deal is on offer (in the so called 'Barnier slides') . In Feb 2020 Barnier told us that a Canada style deal is not available. (The EU are allowed to make u-turns? ????)

And Barnier didn't say a Canada deal is not available because the UK hasn't given them enough time. He said it's not available because the UK would be too much of a threat as a competitor (paraphrasing). 

indeed

This is indeed the opinion of Barnier and he is right given the short timeframe imposed by the UK. I guess you remember the famous slide (that you can find here)

....now even now what is there stopping the UK? OK, a Canada deal will take 1/years and 2/a competent team but instead of complaining there no canada deal, the UK can just do it.

The UE is a "negociating machine" and will never take the responsibility to shorten or interrupt negotiations.

So either the UK says OK let's work on a Canada deal and sets up the negotiation to effectively build this type of deal or stop complaining there is no Canada deal on the table as of today.

Because indeed there is no Canada deal on the table and it won't appear magically before the cliff edge.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

Looks like Boris is still winning, according to the rest of the world.

Well, if he continues like this, at least the UK will have huge export figures, since everything will be for free for the outside world, and since the Brits will have a huge supply of fish they don't have to worry about a hunger death

image.png.986fccdd9b041929b1f23a0b5d3d3822.png

That's 1 cent in a week. High FOREX drama again? Give us a break.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Short timeframe imposed by the UK? Hah. There's no time left after all the dithering by the UK remain element and EU for the last 4 years. The EU has not been interested in real negotiations; it has only been interested in delaying Brexit in hope that the UK would just give up and stay in.  

the same as  the U. K. delayed ...hoping the E.U. would give in on the U.K. wishes...?

same same just bit different ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

the same as  the U. K. delayed ...hoping the E.U. would give in on the U.K. wishes...?

same same just bit different ????

Not at all the same - read what I said again about the UK remain element (May + zombie parliament) - now she and they have gone the EU need to negotiate reasonably, if they truly want a deal .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Not at all the same - read what I said again about the UK remain element (May + zombie parliament) - now she and they have gone the EU need to negotiate reasonably, if they truly want a deal .

That is just the point ....both sides hoping the other one would give in .... the E.U. already gave up on your staying a long time ...only U.K. did not give up on their wishfull  E.U. advantages ....they bloody nows good why i guess...

Face it...., it wont come to a deal .....only after the damages from cliff brexit ( for both % way ) mini deals "could"come on the horizon maybe...

Edited by david555

28 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You are wrong. The UK cannot just "do it". Barnier said in February 2020 a Canada style deal is not available. Please check this before you repeat the same inaccurate statement. 

In 2017 the Canada style deal was available. Now it is not. The goal posts were moved. 

Now it's not

..unless the UK decides 1/to give time and 2/expertise for a line-by-line negotiation. 

I suppose you read the wiki article on CETA and you can tell us how long it takes to set up such a deal?

UE negociators believe that the UK negotiating team is not able to conduct such a negotiation. Now it's up to the Brits them to prove them wrong. 

Between the two choices given by Johnson, I wonder what is the best : a Canada deal which cannot be set up before years of work or an "Australian deal".

As before the WA, the UK is in a corner there's no way out. Aside from signing a deal and then reneging. 

The worst hurdle to conclude negotiations in the coming days (or much later it seems) is not fish, it's not the level playing field on an open market

.. it's the very strong likelihood the signature of the UK is worthless. 

How do you enter a deal with a party that is likely to cheat? This is a major game theory problem and I wonder what negociators will pull out of the hat. 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Still advertised as the Common Market then.

What are you talking about now?

The Scottish independence referendum was advertised as remaining in the EU.

But somehow your hypocrisy blinds you to that fact. 

• Like 2