Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

UK doesn't want a border either - only the EU.

One day unification solve that ....after they in N irland expiriance the difference after Brexit ....and looking to the other Irland ...same people you know ....

1 minute ago, david555 said:

One day unification solve that ....after they in N irland expiriance the difference after Brexit ....and looking to the other Irland ...same people you know ....

Maybe. Hopefully with a united Ireland out of the EU.

• Like 2

Just now, Rookiescot said:

So you dont want a border between Scotland and England upon independence?

Are you sure about that?

What about all those immigrants flooding across?

You can't answer my question as usual. Hopeless. Bye. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Maybe. Hopefully with a united Ireland out of the EU.

That could be a fair choice ....what you think about a referendum on that ....? ????

Or you go try to block that too like the Scots request ...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The still advertised as the common market was referring to the 1975 United Kingdom European Communities membership referendum

I am not aware of any Scottish independence referendum that took place in 1975 but if there was one maybe you could provide a link

Common Market, which morphed into EU.

18 hours ago, Tofer said:

I presume you're referring to Scotland - they already had one! In case you don't remember, they voted to remain in the UK. Or do you want to keep having them until you get the result that satisfies you. 555

Like many others, you can delude yourself that nothing has changed since 2014. 

Time to face reality.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nicola-sturgeon-scottish-independence-indyref2-brexit-snp-b1182018.html

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You need to stop bending the truth on the Canada subject. In 2017 the EU said a Canada style deal is on offer (in the so called 'Barnier slides') . In Feb 2020 Barnier told us that a Canada style deal is not available. (The EU are allowed to make u-turns? ????)

And Barnier didn't say a Canada deal is not available because the UK hasn't given them enough time. He said it's not available because the UK would be too much of a threat as a competitor (paraphrasing). 

It is you that is bending the truth. In 2017 CETA was provisional, and is still not fully ratified, there was only a suggestion of something similar.

The problems that arose in 2018 brought about a different perspective.

While Canada has fulfilled the legal steps required for CETA to come into force, the EU has not. That’s because some free-trade agreements need to be approved by the EU and its member states. More specifically, under EU law, the EU needs to validate all chapters of CETA, while the member states only need to validate Chapter 8 pertaining to investment protection and the establishment of the ICS.

Approval by the EU member states requires yes votes from their parliaments at the national and sometimes regional level, which has not yet been completed.

https://theconversation.com/the-uncertain-future-of-the-canadian-european-trade-deal-100228

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hi from France said:

note that the EU can negociate a Canada deal: it has the expertise, the money, and by the way it already negociated CETA (it took 9 years, not counting raticafication by all EU members). I concede the UE is not very enthusiast about that either though, hence what Barnier said.

One of the major problems with CETA was dispute resolution and I doubt the EU would want to down that road again.

Of course Bojo would be quite happy to agree to a new court system, and then refuse to abide by it.

One of the provisions of the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement between Canada and the European Union, known as CETA, was a mechanism to handle disputes between governments and investors. The International Court System (ICS), a new EU-Canadian permanent court, was created to help resolve such disputes.

https://theconversation.com/the-uncertain-future-of-the-canadian-european-trade-deal-100228

• Like 2

16 hours ago, luckyluke said:

It is obvious we are different.

But now you know that the use of some emoticons just for the purpose of being disagreeable, annoys me.

Folk from over the channel who continually stick their nose into UK affairs here annoy me, but that has to be expected on an open forum. ????

PS. I have a couple of emijon stalkers, but I am flattered....  ????

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

You take the blinkers off. Compare what Vote Leave was telling us and where we are now.

Brexit would never have been voted for if people had known then what they know now.

Vote leave lied. Where is our easiest trade deal in history which keeps us in the single market?

Eeeeeeeer, then can you explain the recent Boris landslide GE victory.....? :whistling:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I'm glad you said "yet".

Means Brexiteers are finally coming to terms with the break up of the UK they helped facilitate.

I wish you all the luck in the world, you'll certainly need it, because the EU don't want you. Who will you approach then with your begging bowl?

Anyway, it's already been said, this is not the subject post.

• Like 1