Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

note that even before the spectacular BJ signing the WA and them betraying the signature of the UK, there had been another very big issue with trusting the UK in trade talks.

Brussels demands UK pay €2.7 billion in lost customs duties
Customs fraud case is a massive embarrassment to the UK as it seeks to cast itself as reliable partner in EU trade talks.

The European Commission today formally demanded that the U.K. pay €2.7 billion into the EU budget after investigators found that British authorities allowed a massive Chinese fraud network to evade paying the appropriate level of customs duties.

(..)

Once the goods entered the U.K., they were then trafficked to members of criminal networks across Europe. The fraudsters then set up “phoenix” companies to take delivery of the goods, according to a joint OLAF-French investigation. These businesses would then disappear, only to be reborn elsewhere.

This strategy enabled the companies to avoid paying VAT because the EU allows importers to pay VAT in the country where they intend to sell it, and not at their port of entry.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-demands-uk-pay-e2-7-billion-in-lost-customs-duties/

so 1/there can be no no-deal, wether it's the "bare bones" WTO deal or something better but 2/the signature of the UK is very unreliable.

How does the UE deal with that? I wonder.

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There will be no downside to Brexit, only considerable upside. David Davis   The day after we vote to leave we hold all the cards and can choose the path we want. Michael Gove

Why should the EU negotiate with an ex-member, that voted to leave ? They should let Britain stand outside in the cold for twenty or twenty-five years. Then maybe let them back in, if they ask nicely.

Hilarious so if  those 27  countries  all had an 3  trillion economy it should   be  81   trillion instead of the paltry 18.4  trillion

Posted Images

Boris Johnson has formally signed the EU withdrawal agreement, smiling as he described it as a “fantastic moment” for the country.

(..)

The signed copy of the agreement was sent in a diplomatic bag to Downing Street for the prime minister’s signature. On Thursday the withdrawal agreement received royal assent from the Queen.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/24/sombre-eu-leaders-sign-brexit-withdrawal-agreement

Capture d’écran 2020-10-18 192756.jpg

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, Loiner said:

EU threat to impose tariffs between mainland and Northern Island, or even blockade foodstuffs?

A claim made by Johnson which he was unable to prove.

• Like 2
On 10/17/2020 at 12:42 AM, vogie said:

Does anyone believe what the media says anymore, whatever the source, if we are to understand it, Lord Frost has told Mr Barnier not to bother coming unless the EU can try to understand the UKs position. Macron has said he still wants total fishing rights to the UKs waters and by anybodies standard that has to be an impossible ask. So when Macron said he wants to protect the French fishing industries, he has ended up with nothing and as the rest of the EU, so let's all clap for Mr Macron.

So unless Mr Barnier comes across on a rubber dinghy, he'll not be coming.

Macron is, as France always has done, playing the tough line with Britain, remembery didn't want us in the EEC in the first place. So Macrons posturing is of no surprise or consequence.

BJ has played this right, the onus is now on the  EU to come up with something different

There will be a deal in whatever shape or form and as always it will be left to the last minute.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lormak said:

The British public voted overwhelming to leave the corrupt and evil EU. Out means out! We want a clean no-deal Brexit!

Companies have had years to prepare for Brexit. Any difficulties are self-inflicted. Most companies speaking in favour of the EU are thinking only of their own financial interests and not those of the Great British Public!!!

My company (+£3bill uk t/over) has prepared already at significant cost last year only for it not to happen

If you could tell me how we can prepare (again) including any knowledge you may have of duty tariffs, quota charges, health certificates and further legislation then I am at your disposal.

You may want a no-deal Brexit but that's not neccessarily what those who voted leave want.

What do you expect companies will do....Of course they are going to look after their interests. Name me one company that looks after those "of the Great British Public" over themselves.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No! Just your FAT reality.

I assume that is an meant as an insult. Obviously you do not know me. Keep cranky and carry on.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, nauseus said:

I assume that is an meant as an insult. Obviously you do not know me. Keep cranky and carry on.

Why would it be an insult? You started to question me if I had OD:ed on a old brand of mashed potato.......? Then I answer no, and that what I post is something that is becoming a fat reality for you. If living in reality is an insult to you, it seems like you share that with many Brits.

• Like 1