Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Well.... as brexiteers like this " MickeyMouse tabloid " so much …..????.... this is my favorite page …. I really like the  tought guy's ….???? (five possible vetos … ????

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1351417/Brexit-news-latest-fishing-barnier-frost-London-talks-eu-boris-johnson

: 11:41, Fri, Oct 23, 2020 | UPDATED: 11:42, Fri, Oct 23, 2020

Fishing war: Brexit battle as FIVE EU states team up to force Boris U-turn

FIVE EU member states have banded together to call for the bloc's fishermen to be protected under a trade deal with the UK, as Michel Barnier and David Frost meet in London for talks.

Ireland, France, Belgium, Denmark and the Netherlands will “remain united” in their position that coastal communities across the continent must be protected under any post-Brexit free trade deal. Boats from the five nations have benefitted massively from fishing in Britain’s rich waters and as trade talks enter the final phase leaders are wary of losing access.

Well stuff happens. They might remain united but they will not be entitled. The Irish have plenty of water relative to the size of their population anyway.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well stuff happens. They might remain united but they will not be entitled. The Irish have plenty of water relative to the size of their population anyway.

You did not read  my point in it ? ….. not the fish for me.... but the vetoes I like to have now  , would like to see Boris handle his  "Austalian " deal ????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

You did not read  my point in it ? ….. not the fish for me.... but the vetos I like to have now  , would like to see Boris handle his  "Austalian " deal ????

There was a point? Must have lost it in translation.

Vetoes and chips? Don't forget the vinegar.

12 minutes ago, nauseus said:

There was a point? Must have lost it in translation.

Vetoes and chips? Don't forget the vinegar.

Come on you could do better,  vetoes alone would make my day on voting day ….. Macron get his backers in Euro parliament already …., now those who demand Boris bill vanished ????  .... and  maybe the level playfield backers …..

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, david555 said:

Come on you could do better,  vetoes alone would make my day on voting day ….. Macron get his backers in Euro parliament already …., now those who demand Boris bill vanished ????  .... and  maybe the level playfield backers …..

Well it only takes one, right? Or is it QMV?

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well it only takes one, right? Or is it QMV?

Yes only 1 vetoe is enough .....but some spare ones are always welcome ..????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

Boris Johnson has clashed with Brussels over an 11th-hour attempt to save British passport holders from hours of delays at European airports from the end of the year.

The government is seeking continued use by UK nationals of the automatic e-gates used by EU nationals at airports and Eurostar terminals. The move is seen by the European commission as an attempt to keep Britons in faster lanes rather than having to queue up with the rest of the world after the end of the transition period.

A senior EU diplomat said: “Having grown up in Brussels, Boris Johnson values the ability to travel freely to the continent. So it is perfectly apt that the UK is now asking the EU to change its own laws to accommodate London on something it always had. We are probably in for another re-run of ‘the EU is being unfair’, ‘we’re only asking for a Canada-style deal’. It isn’t.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/23/uk-presses-for-use-of-faster-passport-gates-at-eu-airports-post-brexit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

I already have a new blue passport & living in Thailand couldn't care less / won't expect to be any slower passing through any european border than it is when entering LoS; especially when this covid lark is lifted.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I already have a new blue passport & living in Thailand couldn't care less / won't expect to be any slower passing through any european border than it is when entering LoS; especially when this covid lark is lifted.

You don't know yet that you will probably need a visa + proof of income of the last year  + health insurance + booked accommodation for the duration of your stay including proof of payment ?

Edited by dimitriv
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

21 hours ago, david555 said:

You did not read  my point in it ? ….. not the fish for me.... but the vetoes I like to have now  , would like to see Boris handle his  "Austalian " deal ????

In the eyes of many, brexit will have been a success when fish and chips are back to 50p.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In the eyes of many, brexit will have been a success when fish and chips are back to 50p.

They can have  their fish …. but I want my € handled by Frankfurt Paris or Amsterdam or even in joint venture by them , it is ours..., just like they claim their waters ...

• Like 2

Besides this fact somebody posted the contrary above from Potugal minister ,news was 1 year old article…. when negotiations did not get sour yet ????,  not very accurate brexiteers reply apparently ????

And as they can not come fish anymore …… guess what …?

2020-10-24_165352.png

ttps://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/23/uk-presses-for-use-of-faster-passport-gates-at-eu-airports-post-brexit

this matters now :

UK presses for use of faster passport gates at EU airports post-Brexit
Exclusive: European commission insists letting UK nationals use e-gates would breach EU law

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

On the matter of signing a treaty with party being a know liar, I found some more info.

So beside fish and level playing field there is this  third topic blocking a possible deal, it's called "Governance" 

here is a the brexiter newspaper "the Torygraph" summary https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...iations-going/

Governance

Where they started

The EU wanted the deals on fishing, trade, foreign policy and security cooperation covered by a single agreement and enforcement system. Future agreements could be plugged into this umbrella agreement and punitive measures could be taken across sectors if necessary. 

Britain wanted a series of separate agreements with their own dispute resolution mechanisms and no cross-cutting. It said foreign policy cooperation didn’t need a new agreement. 

Where they are going

The UK's Internal Market Bill, which breaks international law, has stiffened the EU’s resolve to secure a tough enforcement system.  

Negotiations are expected to be difficult and detailed. The UK has warmed to the umbrella treaty but still wants fishing to be separate. 

Britain has signalled a robust governance system is also in its interest, suggesting a deal could be closer. 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, sandyf said:

You obviously never bothered to read the link, dated March 2016, and not the first time he spoke on the matter.

Just about the time the Brexit debates were going on... Or would you care to identify his previous speeches. 

Edited by Tofer

take on the same matter of entering an international treaty with a lying party, by the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/24/brexit-walkout-sulk-over-prospects-of-deal

Finally, there is the matter of governance, which is as important as it is technical. The EU says it needs a system where binding decisions can be swiftly made as to whether either party has breached the comprehensive free trade agreement. And there needs to be the power to hit the other side with a sanction in a part of the economy where it will hurt.

For the UK, this feels all too close to being an association agreement, the likes of which may be more suitable for a country seeking to be enveloped into the EU’s sphere rather than pushing away from it. A breach on issues of goods should be dealt with by a sanction within that chapter of the deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

For how long? I believe the EU is on notice

If i was you..., I would be more concerned about the possible splitting from your own union , as I saw last pol 58% for SNP …… and no people you can withhold from independence if really wished deep …..best proof is your own ….Brexit  ????

Not forgetting eventual unification of The Island of Ireland after the consequences of Brexit kick's in 

• Like 2