Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

29 minutes ago, david555 said:

U.K. Short of money....they need taking of from those already low pensions ...old people are easy victims....

U.K. has heaps of money - our national bank can make as much as we need.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2020 at 6:28 AM, Matzzon said:

Yes, it seems like no one is caring about what Mr, Johnson is saying, which at least show some intelligence somewhere in the leadership of Britain.

This is a total moron, that do not understand that he can not go against his peoples wishes. I guess the common citizen of the UK is going to have to change much of their daily life, just because ne person have a bad brain.

And someone like you could better, that's for the joke post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Bringing migrants over were you?

I have already demonstrated which side I would have been on by serving in the British army. Can you say the same?

Although to be honest if I had been around at the time of Dunkirk I would probably have been in the 51st Highland division.

You know who they were? They were the guys who were sacrificed so the English troops could escape. Deliberately chosen because it meant the Times obituary column would not look too bad.  

I read about this a few years ago. The 51st were far from Dunkirk in support of the French, probably in the hope that Scots grit would rub off on the French and keep them fighting (didn't work of course). From more searching about this just now, then your 'Times obituary column' allegation is nonsense. So a link would be great.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I read about this a few years ago. The 51st were far from Dunkirk in support of the French, probably in the hope that Scots grit would rub off on the French and keep them fighting (didn't work of course). From more searching about this just now, then your 'Times obituary column' allegation is nonsense. So a link would be great.

Aye you are right. My mistake. The 51st were to the south and not particularly involved in Dunkirk other than keep German troops busy.

The Coldstream Guards were thrown into the heaviest fighting in order to plug a gap which was being exploited.

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Aye you are right. My mistake. The 51st were to the south and not particularly involved in Dunkirk other than keep German troops busy.

The Coldstream Guards were thrown into the heaviest fighting in order to plug a gap which was being exploited.

Thanks. I saw some old VDO interviews with some of the survivors - they couldn't believe they were captured but didn't complain, of course. Respect.  

• Like 1

The 51st Highland division were falling back to the French coast where they were to be evacuated at Dieppe, but the rapidly approaching Germans cut them off, so a decision was made to evacuate them at a little fishing town called Saint Valery.  However events overtook them, the Navy ships could not come inshore due to fog and the German advance. The 51st put up valiant defence but were forced to surrender on the 12th June 1940 as the situation was hopeless and they had run out of food and ammunition.

Churchill sacrificing the division is nonsence. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, nauseus said:

U.K. has heaps of money - our national bank can make as much as we need.

So they just like to squize some very old fokes for TV licence ....

Lovely bunch of U.K. conservatives gov. you have ...

Nice....very social

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

So they just like to squize some very old fokes for TV licence ....

Lovely bunch of U.K. conservatives gov. you have ...

Nice....very social

Not nice, if true, but still Foxtrot Alpha to do with with EU trade talks. 

38 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

It's actually 3.6 million; but even if it were 4 million that's just 0.9% of the population of the EU.

Whereas 1.3 million Brits, 1.9% of the UK population, live in the EU.

Proportionately, more Brits choose to live in the EU than EU nationals choose to live in the UK.

In 2019, according to UN data, 1.3 million people born in the UK lived in EU countries. Spain hosted the largest group, at 302,000, followed by Ireland, with 293,000. France was third with 177,000, Germany was fourth with 99,000 and Italy was fifth with 66,000.

• Like 1