Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Gawd; you really do have a major problem remembering what you've posted; let alone others.

I don't have time to go through all the posts again for you now. so you have a lie down and then see if you can do it for yourself.

TTFN

Talk to Ray C. I hear you're on good terms.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So your much trumpeted 2010 poll is as meaningless as any other; glad we agree at last.

Yes similar to the link that you provided 

25 September 2020

question 

If there was another referendum on Britain’s membership of the EU, how would you vote?

remain 43%

leave 43%

don't know/undecided 13%

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/

so if you add the 13% undecided to both the remain and leave gives you 56% remain or 56% leave

30 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Brilliant - well done. Yes UK waters. Different because it would not concern the EU. We can build boats which will make profit for British fishermen, for a change.  

It would help if we could actually land our catches instead of having to throw them back.

On 11/3/2020 at 1:22 PM, david555 said:

So they just like to squize some very old fokes for TV licence ....

Lovely bunch of U.K. conservatives gov. you have ...

Nice....very social

Old fokes?if you,re referring to abolishing the tv license for over 75 s that was the bbc,they,re gold plated pensions,salaries,and legal fees cost a fortune.

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

What by becoming the 51st state of the USA?

There is, never was and never will be a threat to the existence of the UK from the EU. That is a simple fact.

Remember the erm? Where the pound went into freefall while the eu sat back and laughed? Another simple fact is a lot of remainers have selective memories about events.

6 hours ago, kingdong said:

Old fokes?if you,re referring to abolishing the tv license for over 75 s that was the bbc,they,re gold plated pensions,salaries,and legal fees cost a fortune.

So...your U.K. gov.has no control on them .....?  

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The ERM was a Conservative policy. It was nothing to do with the EU.

And I strongly suspect no-one was laughing either.

The erm was an eu policy, and what happened to the uk should not have happened as the rest of the eu should have ( in theory ) bought sterling instead they sat back and laughed and gloated.which was the main reason we didn,t adapt the euro,and voted to leave,it wasn,t all big red buses and kkk memberships.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

The erm was an eu policy, and what happened to the uk should not have happened as the rest of the eu should have ( in theory ) bought sterling instead they sat back and laughed and gloated.which was the main reason we didn,t adapt the euro,and voted to leave,it wasn,t all big red buses and kkk memberships.

The ERM was joined by Thatchers government. The fact the pound couldnt maintain its position in the ERM was not the fault of the EU. It was Thatchers mismanagement of the UK's economy which caused black Wednesday. 

The exchange rate was unsustainable.

Now if you ask me the ERM was a flawed system. Tying ourselves to the deutschmark was never going to work but it was Thatcher who decided to join it. The EU did not force us. The EU was not responsible for the shambolic condition of the UK's economy and was in no way bound to sort out the mess the UK was in.

Please provide a link showing the EU laughing and gloating over the UK's problems. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The ERM was joined by Thatchers government. The fact the pound couldnt maintain its position in the ERM was not the fault of the EU. It was Thatchers mismanagement of the UK's economy which caused black Wednesday. 

The exchange rate was unsustainable.

Now if you ask me the ERM was a flawed system. Tying ourselves to the deutschmark was never going to work but it was Thatcher who decided to join it. The EU did not force us. The EU was not responsible for the shambolic condition of the UK's economy and was in no way bound to sort out the mess the UK was in.

Please provide a link showing the EU laughing and gloating over the UK's problems. 

Look up the european papers of that time that reported on it,i remember it at the time very well a s i had a big mortgage.whats all this "provide a link " i don,t lie ( except to bargirls ) i always thought one was presumed innocent until proven guilty.some bit of legal nonsense that goes back to the magna carta.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

What has that got to do with the question I asked?

Well if you lived here you could observe for yourself first hand the detriment of this country due to eu membership,rather than relying on all you read on the internet to the contrary.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I am not saying you are lying. I simply cannot remember anyone from the EU laughing or taking pleasure in the difficulties the UK was going through at the time. 

Read what i said....the european newspapers were.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Well if you lived here you could observe for yourself first hand the detriment of this country due to eu membership,rather than relying on all you read on the internet to the contrary.

It is easy to look upon the past with rose tinted glasses because we tend to forget stuff like the UK's economy before we joined the EEC or indeed the shambles of the Thatcher years. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

Talk to Ray C. I hear you're on good terms.

Myself and 7by7 have never met, although I'm more than willing to have a pint with him if we happen to be in the same location at the same time. How about you, Vogie, Loiner et al? Do you get together much?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

It was indeed George Soros. An American as I understand it.

George Soros spotted the weakness in the pound before anyone else. To think that devaluation wouldn't have occurred if not for Soros is nonsense. Lots of sharks in those financial waters. The pound was ripe for what it got.

• Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/06/boris-johnson-ursula-von-der-leyen-brexit-talks

Johnson and EU commission chief to hold talks before decisive week for Brexit deal 
Phonecall with Ursula von der Leyen could be final chance for PM to avert no-deal Brexit

Daniel Boffey in Brussels
Fri 6 Nov 2020 18.04 GMT 

Boris Johnson and the European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, will hold talks on Saturday before a potentially decisive week in the Brexit negotiations, amid growing concern in Brussels at the lack of progress.

UK sources played down expectations of a breakthrough moment but with time short for parliamentary ratification the phonecall may prove to be the final chance for a political intervention in the troubled talks.

“The prime minister will speak to [Von der Leyen] tomorrow afternoon to take stock of the UK-EU negotiation" 

a Downing Street spokesman said.

Johnson said he hoped a trade deal with the EU could be agreed, but the UK was well prepared if final-stage talks failed. “I very much hope that we will [get a deal], and obviously that depends on our friends and partners across the Channel. I think there is a deal to be done if they want to do it. If not, the country is of course very, very well prepared and as I have said before, we can do very, very well on Australian terms.” 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/06/boris-johnson-ursula-von-der-leyen-brexit-talks

Johnson and EU commission chief to hold talks before decisive week for Brexit deal 
Phonecall with Ursula von der Leyen could be final chance for PM to avert no-deal Brexit

Fri 6 Nov 2020 18.04 GMT 

Boris Johnson and the European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, will hold talks on Saturday before a potentially decisive week in the Brexit negotiations, amid growing concern in Brussels at the lack of progress.

UK sources played down expectations of a breakthrough moment but with time short for parliamentary ratification the phonecall may prove to be the final chance for a political intervention in the troubled talks.

“The prime minister will speak to [Von der Leyen] tomorrow afternoon to take stock of the UK-EU negotiation" 

Johnson said he hoped a trade deal with the EU could be agreed, but the UK was well prepared if final-stage talks failed. “I very much hope that we will [get a deal], and obviously that depends on our friends and partners across the Channel. I think there is a deal to be done if they want to do it. If not, the country is of course very, very well prepared and as I have said before, we can do very, very well on Australian terms.” 

????........So the onus is on the UK to give up......????

I bet the other back bench EU countries are cringing at the German/French "we are in charge" message...???? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

Fri 6 Nov 2020 18.04 GMT 

At last,a strong tory leader whos going to uphold the result of the peoples vote,unlike the previous win double.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RayC said:

Or looked at another way, UK retirees who are taking advantage of their (EU) hosts' public health systems without having contributed much to it.

And visa versa with your 3.6M EU citizens taking the same free health care in UK, not having contributed all their lives into the NHS.

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Fri 6 Nov 2020 18.04 GMT 

I am having a bad feeling about that call, now that Trump is out of the picture and Biden told the UK to respect the deal made,  BJ is having 2nd thoughts and wants to cancel Brexit and STAY in the EU .....555

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I am having a bad feeling about that call, now that Trump is out of the picture and Biden told the UK to respect the deal made,  BJ is having 2nd thoughts and wants to cancel Brexit and STAY in the EU .....555

Dream on, and you worry more about your financial future in the EU without the UK bolstering it....????

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Dream on, and you worry more about your financial future in the EU without the UK bolstering it....????

what's the matter, lost all sense of humor....in case you didn't notice, it was a joke, thus the  555 or  ahhh ahhh ahhh

• Like 2