Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

40 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Scotch whisk y imported from the eu

I dont think that can be called " Scotch"whisky .Any other given name yes , but not " Scotch " E.U. is strict in the naming of local speciallity's

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

I dont think that can be called " Scotch"whisky .Any other given name yes , but not " Scotch " E.U. is strict in the naming of local speciallity's

Vaguely recollect some posts on this......come 1st January don't products in the UK lose their protection in terms of names...Stilton, Wensleydale, Scotch etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Surely Johnson read it properly before he first presented it to Parliament; before he called an election because Parliament wouldn't agree to it; before he signed it with such fanfare and before he used his majority to rush it through Parliament  in double quick time?

You are saying he is so incompetent he didn't know what was in his own agreement until three months after he signed it and ensured it became law!

How many MPs do you think had read it all in any case?

How many MPs do you think had fully read The Treaty of Rome before it was voted on? 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Vaguely recollect some posts on this......come 1st January don't products in the UK lose their protection in terms of names...Stilton, Wensleydale, Scotch etc

GI protection will continue after 1 January 2021 for products currently named in:

EU free trade agreements where the UK has signed a continuity agreement, for example the Andean Community, Chile and Switzerland

other EU third country sectoral agreements where the UK has signed a continuity agreement

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I am fully aware of the effects of EU membership on UK residents and the potential effects of Brexit on us as well. That is why I voted Remain and consider the referendum result to be an economic disaster for the UK on a par with the South Sea Bubble, the 1929 depression and the 1972 stock market crash.

I made it perfectly clear why I said you are treading on dangerous ground. But let's put it in simpler terms.

Don't you realise that, unsurprisingly given the nature of this board, that most Brexiteers here also live in Thailand?

But maybe you think your criticism doesn't apply to Brexiteers, only Remainers?

Poor reasoning - if any. Your "1972" stock market crash was actually the 1972-1974 stock market "crash". The pound dropped in 1972 after the BoE stopped defending sterling’s peg to the dollar but most of the damage was done in 1973/4 and coincident with the oil crisis (and joining the EEC of course).  

7 hours ago, nauseus said:
17 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Surely Johnson read it properly before he first presented it to Parliament; before he called an election because Parliament wouldn't agree to it; before he signed it with such fanfare and before he used his majority to rush it through Parliament  in double quick time?

You are saying he is so incompetent he didn't know what was in his own agreement until three months after he signed it and ensured it became law!

Expand  

How many MPs do you think had read it all in any case?

How many MPs do you think had fully read The Treaty of Rome before it was voted on? 

Probably not many; as usual they would have voted the way their party whips told them too.

But I expect the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to have at least read an international treaty before he signs it!

If he didn't understand what's in it I expect him to have had someone explain it to him before he signs it.

Then again, maybe he didn't have a clue about it's contents and signed it because Cummings told him it would win him the election and he could renege on it afterwards.

7 hours ago, nauseus said:

Poor reasoning - if any. Your "1972" stock market crash was actually the 1972-1974 stock market "crash". The pound dropped in 1972 after the BoE stopped defending sterling’s peg to the dollar but most of the damage was done in 1973/4 and coincident with the oil crisis (and joining the EEC of course).  

I am fully aware of the length of the 1972 crash and it's causes. None of which had anything to do with us joining the EEC.

Irrelevant anyway, as I was giving examples of economic disasters.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Probably not many; as usual they would have voted the way their party whips told them too.

But I expect the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to have at least read an international treaty before he signs it!

If he didn't understand what's in it I expect him to have had someone explain it to him before he signs it.

Then again, maybe he didn't have a clue about it's contents and signed it because Cummings told him it would win him the election and he could renege on it afterwards.

I am fully aware of the length of the 1972 crash and it's causes. None of which had anything to do with us joining the EEC.

Irrelevant anyway, as I was giving examples of economic disasters.

Even though the biggest recent fall was in 1973/4. Great.

10 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Which will not change come the first of January.

It will not change until the US removes the tariff. 

Whisky from the eu,how many more times,the uk will be out the eu 1.1 2021, we had a democratic vote on the matter,we will No longer be  in the eu and free to sell whisky to whoever,just like the prohibition in the 1930 s.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I did not lie; the signage on the bus said we send the EU £350 million a week and that is not true.

£350 million EU claim "a clear misuse of official statistics"

Boris Johnson appears to finally admit his ‘£350m a week’ claim was wrong

I made no mention of where the signage said the money would be going; but since you've brought it up:

Johnson Aims to Meet Brexit Bus Pledge With Health-Care Boost - Bloomberg

Burger King Calls Boris Johnson a Liar With a Whopper on a Bus - Eater  London

If these bus pics are re-run many more times we'll see Cliff Richard and The Shadows sticking their heads out of the windows.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I did not lie; the signage on the bus said we send the EU £350 million a week and that is not true.

£350 million EU claim "a clear misuse of official statistics"

Boris Johnson appears to finally admit his ‘£350m a week’ claim was wrong

I made no mention of where the signage said the money would be going; but since you've brought it up:

Johnson Aims to Meet Brexit Bus Pledge With Health-Care Boost - Bloomberg

Burger King Calls Boris Johnson a Liar With a Whopper on a Bus - Eater  London

Clutching at straws

• Like 1

9 hours ago, david555 said:

Another glowing example of why we left,how many quangos did it take before that ruling?well done davey boy we,ll make a brexiteer of you yet,( that is if the eu don,t beat us to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

You seem to fundamentally misunderstand the nature of tariffs here, it's something the importing applys(or not) not the people who are exporting .

So it matters little if the UK is part of the EU or not and all depends on what the US chooses to do.

Given that Biden is now president and he has strong Irish heritage, he not going to be happy with the UK breaking the Good Friday Agreement  and the chances of any US trade deals/confessions are next to zero.

UK gov has painted itself in to a corner and will need to to some major U turns yet again. 

I only misunderstood ( if i did ) due to the wording of the original post,it clearly stated " from the eu " thats why i am always sceptical of these dodgy slanted links members provide,i personally do not believe every thing i read in papers or on the net.

29 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Even though the biggest recent fall was in 1973/4. Great.

You have failed to grasp the point entirely. Why? Only you know; but I suspect it's a deliberate ploy to, yet again, try and escape the corner you have painted yourself into.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Whisky from the eu,how many more times,the uk will be out the eu 1.1 2021, we had a democratic vote on the matter,we will No longer be  in the eu and free to sell whisky to whoever,just like the prohibition in the 1930 s.

No. It does not. It applies to the product. Until the USA lifts those tariffs they will apply whether we are in the EU or not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

No. It does not. It applies to the product. Until the USA lifts those tariffs they will apply whether we are in the EU or not.

Who knows,who cares,don,t drink the stuff,and if you can get your knickers in such a twist over a misundersood post can only advise you to adapt the same policy.

30 minutes ago, kingdong said:

How many more times; it is the US government which imposes the tariffs on imports into the USA; not the EU!

Membership of the EU never placed any restrictions on who we export whisky to. Whisky has never been on the list of controlled goods!

• Like 2