Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

4 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Correct, 

One solution may be that the U.K. lease their waters to a specific amount of European fish boats, with a specific amount of fish allowed to been caught.

Steady there, that sounds like a negotiating gambit. But I think the UK suggested something similar already?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I don't know the details but if the U.K. has paid billions to the E.U., there must have been some kind of compensations.

On the other hand I believe that the E.U. make it somehow difficult to the U.K. because they leave the group, no club like that an important financial contributor leave. So they may be somehow resentful. Not that I agree with it.

I am however convinced that other countries in the E.U. have no actual desire to leave the group, based on the mess Brexit actually is.

If 48% of the people are not agree with the other 52% , but the 52% consider they have all the rights and the rest should just abide, this is a recipe for messing, and it shows.

Compensation only works one-way with the EU as far as the UK is concerned.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Oh I get it.

By the way thats possibly the worst analogy for Brexit I have ever read. 

If you had said it was a communal farm and you decided to leave then it would make more sense.

So you now have all your fruit but no longer have a market to sell it to.

You gonna be eating a lot of fruit. Or just leaving it to rot.

Rotting food? An EU speciality as I recall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Ireland is going to face difficulties because of Brexit. But they will have the support of the rest of the EU to help them.

No-one is coming to help us with our difficulties.

But the French will not buy their beef and butter will they?

7 hours ago, vogie said:

Does anyone believe what the media says anymore, whatever the source, if we are to understand it, Lord Frost has told Mr Barnier not to bother coming unless the EU can try to understand the UKs position. Macron has said he still wants total fishing rights to the UKs waters and by anybodies standard that has to be an impossible ask. So when Macron said he wants to protect the French fishing industries, he has ended up with nothing and as the rest of the EU, so let's all clap for Mr Macron.

So unless Mr Barnier comes across on a rubber dinghy, he'll not be coming.

It's even more embarrassing now watching Johnson sticking out his bottom lip and blubbing.  That so called statement just confirms that the only grown-up in the room is Barnier.  It's simple enough Boris. You promised that if a deal wasn't agreed by the 16th October then we would leave with no deal.  Then why not just do that?  Of course Barnier will come to London next week and continue to negotiate and Johnson will welcome him here.  It's all bluster from a Prime Minister who spins like a top!

Show some guts Boris and for once, stick to your word! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Compensation only works one-way with the EU as far as the UK is concerned.

If there were no compensation of any kind, I don't understand why it tooks the U.K. 45 years before they found out this wasn't what they expected. 

I don't think the different government during these 45 years were that stupid, so I believe there must be have been some recompense of some kind. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: Oh, do not worry about that. In the future the UK is going to have to bite the dust and fight to be able to support their own citizens. Actually that fight have already started. The country you are raising to the skies in every single comment is on the brink of an economical breakdown/shutdown.

Look at the pound, look at the pound. Watch it closely, because you will se it fall down to numbers you did never believe was possible. All trends are supporting that.

What trends?

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Envious??? Oh dear! I would not at all like to be in the shoes of the Brit at present times. I actually feel sorry for and worry about the nation.

But, then again, some will have no problems while other will have to fight for their existence and ke big changes to their lives in the coming years.

Let´s just take all the expats in Thailand. Most of them have planned their lives so they have no problems whatsoever. Although, we will have a small fraction of, let´s say about 10-15% that can´t take another fall of 10-20% in the UK economy. That will really s**k, but it´s very close to becoming a reality.

Reality is the name of a distant planet that is inaccessible to you.

13 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

If there were no compensation of any kind, I don't understand why it tooks the U.K. 45 years before they found out this wasn't what they expected. 

I don't think the different government during these 45 years were that stupid, so I believe there must be have been some recompense of some kind. 

Well, the Civil Service workloads were reduced and Neil Kinnock and his missus got good jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Come on, it will be like watching two ferrets in a sandbag!

Talking about ferrets in a handbag ? ...…???? seeing the Conservatives as best example …..even Brexit is born out of it …. and Cameron disappeared ! …. then May !…. Boris came ! ….and one by one ministers , high lawyers , and leading civil servants resigned or disappeared to backstage ….. yeah they are for sure  the " ferrets fights masters "????

Edited by david555

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, it seems like no one is caring about what Mr, Johnson is saying, which at least show some intelligence somewhere in the leadership of Britain.

This is a total moron, that do not understand that he can not go against his peoples wishes. I guess the common citizen of the UK is going to have to change much of their daily life, just because ne person have a bad brain.

Ridiculous comment.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Problem with that is we weren't allowed to do anything for 3 years. Now why was that?

It's more about preparing rather than doing.  No point in "doing" anything until we know what trade deal is being agreed.   Of course we are now approaching the end and Johnson is still faffing about, unable to agree a deal or pull out and leave with no deal.

We are all sick to death of Brexit and quite honestly we may be better to just leave with no deal.  At least that way we won't be squirming like we are at the moment.  Personally it doesn't matter that much to me anymore.  I moved my business to the Netherlands some time ago and I am near to retiring to Spain so I won't have a dog in the race anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The UK politicians never wanted to leave, they're all globalists

Leaving was something they had to do to retain their parliamentary seats, dragging their heels all the way.

How much thought do you put into actions you have no intention of ever doing?

So UK as a low tax hub of free trade agreements worldwide would less globalist? Come on!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You must look very old if you beat them all. But I guess you haven’t been part of any of it. 

Love the comment that we beat the Romans.  We were occupied by the Romans who dragged us out of the dark ages and gave us some of the best roads in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Problem with that is we weren't allowed to do anything for 3 years. Now why was that?

The UK was not allowed to conduct 'formal' trade negotiations with non-EU states before 1/2/20. There was nothing  to stop us preparing our infrastructure and bureaucracy for leaving the EU. It's a choice that was made by successive Tory governments.

Fair play to Johnson. He did say "B****r business'. At least in this regard, he's being true to his word.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Love the comment that we beat the Romans.  We were occupied by the Romans who dragged us out of the dark ages and gave us some of the best roads in the world.

Really, they had tarmac back then....?  ????

There's me thinking Roman roads were just cobbled tracks...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

The UK was not allowed to conduct 'formal' trade negotiations with non-EU states before 1/2/20. There was nothing  to stop us preparing our infrastructure and bureaucracy for leaving the EU. It's a choice that was made by successive Tory governments.

Fair play to Johnson. He did say "B****r business'. At least in this regard, he's being true to his word.

To be fair, we have done some preparation.  What about the enormous lorry park in Kent to deal with the backlog of trucks trying to get across the channel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1