Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

On 11/17/2020 at 7:06 PM, 7by7 said:

But tell us, if Boris is taking back the fishing rights the British government allowed British fishing fleet owners to sell to fleet owners from other EU coastal states and given those rights to fleets from Iceland, Norway, Greenland and the Faroe Islands; how will that help the UK fishing industry?

The deals we are making now are mutually beneficial, unlike the EU imposed quotas under the CFP which allowed the EU's foreign fishermen to rape our waters to the tune of 85%.

Or do you know something I don't. Feel free to enlighten me, although I doubt I will get anything to substantiate your scaremongering.

• Like 2

Panic in #10...? ????  U-Turn coming ?....but to left or to the right ...?

Boris Johnson prepares significant Brexit intervention as negotiators begin the 'final push' (telegraph.co.uk)

Boris Johnson prepares significant Brexit intervention as negotiators begin the 'final push'

The PM is expected to attempt to clear away the final barriers to a deal – both sides believe one is now within reach

ByGordon Rayner, POLITICAL EDITOR22 November 2020 • 6:38pm

Boris Johnson is preparing to make a significant intervention in the Brexit trade talks this week as negotiators begin the “final push” before a deadline in eight days’ time....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 7by7 said:

In the post I linked to.

Rubbish, that post is linked to Rookiescots, which links to mine debating the relevance of historic statements.

Kindly pick out the exact statement you were referring to, where you claim I stated the UK fishermen had already been sold out...

(A month delay for the Boris bill....????...)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-house-of-lords-internal-market-bill-devolution-b1760719.html

Brexit: House of Lords inflicts government defeat over devolved consent to Internal Market Bill powers
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would be given say over controversial use of powers contained in bill

Nick Lester,Trevor Mason
6 hours ago

The House of Lords voted for steps to force Westminster to seek the consent of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland before ministers are allowed to exercise powers contained in controversial legislation, with a majority of 77 votes.

The Labour-led change to the Internal Market Bill went further than the offer of consultation made by the government. However, while it requires the secretary of state to seek the agreement of the devolved nations before making regulations, it also makes provision to avoid the threat of a veto.

If consent is not given within a month, the minister can press ahead, but must publish a statement explaining why they have done so.

33 minutes ago, david555 said:

(A month delay for the Boris bill....????...)

(...)

If consent is not given within a month, the minister can press ahead, but must publish a statement explaining why they have done so.

I think you’ve been confusing things. The one month is not related to the timeline to enact the Boris bill (so it is not a delay of the Boris bill). It would (potentially) delay any decisions made under the powers of that Bill (I.e., it will only be relevant after the Boris bill has been enacted). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I think you’ve been confusing things. The one month is not related to the timeline to enact the Boris bill (so it is not a delay of the Boris bill). It would (potentially) delay any decisions made under the powers of that Bill (I.e., it will only be relevant after the Boris bill has been enacted). 

"If consent is not given within a month, the minister can press ahead "

i was following that line .... but it could be as you explain .... anyway another nice set back for him 

Edited by david555

Bank of England made it clear to the risks involved

Andrew Bailey talks Brexit, coronavirus and leaks in evidence to a committee of MPs as the economy reels from pandemic disruption.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-banks-bailey-warns-long-term-effects-of-no-deal-brexit-worse-than-virus-12140542

The Bank of England governor has warned that a no-deal Brexit would end up causing deeper long-term damage to the UK economy than the COVID-19 pandemic.

COVID-19: Bank of England warns long-term effects of no-deal Brexit worse than pandemic

• Like 2

and again a more recent risk analysis from Bank of England

https://dailytimes.com.pk/693281/bank-of-englands-policymaker-warns-no-deal-brexit-threatens-the-economic-outlook/

Bank of England’s policymaker warns no-deal Brexit threatens the economic outlook

He echoed comments made by Bank governor Andrew Bailey on Monday cautioning over a no-deal EU withdrawal.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tofer said:

It's still negativity, even if it comes from the BoE governor. Whenever have financial analysts been correct?

Now who's being insulting?

If you can't stay civil - better not stay...

It was not meant as an insult. It is true though. When facts change then change your mind.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What facts? It's the prediction of one man who's toeing the line.

Carney trotted out the same nonsense when he was governor and was proved wrong on almost all of his predictions.

A prediction on the future is not a fact. 

It would seem all you Brexiteers are the real financial experts. 

What did Carney get wrong? 

He said the pound would lose value against both the euro and the dollar. It has.

He said investment in the UK would slow down. It has.

He said the banks would start moving assets out of London and into Europe. They have.

Now perhaps you can give a list of everything you Brexiteers have got right?

• Like 2