Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

On 11/26/2020 at 12:40 PM, david555 said:

I chose the last option ????...., U.K. option looks not to good as i read & hear Sumak  announcement ..waw ! record spending in peace time in 300 years...

It's called a covid recovery fund, and at least we've got one, unlike the EU who cannot agree their budget / recovery funding. 

But, of course, the EU has a solution to the problem of Hungary and Poland vetoing the budget, just refuse them the right to vote - very democratic...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tofer said:

Ah, but they are UK trade deals now, independent of the EU's protectionist levies and taxes.

As they are merely transfers of EU trade deals then any levies and taxes contained therein are still extant.

But tell us, what are/were these EU protectionist levies and taxes?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tofer said:

Go on - be a sport. I'm waiting with baited breath to see what evidence you have to disprove my statements.

Oh, of course, there isn't any......

I refer you to the answers previously given to you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tofer said:

So predictable. ????

I know this post has gone on a long time, but have you forgotten I told you before, to get the process off the starting block, and get the UK out of the EU clutches which I think you must admit, he has done.

With his 80 seat majority why was it necessary for him to lie to Parliament and the electorate?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

( In case no one knows this fact  yet ..... the great leader has an admission to make apparently .....???? )

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-live-boris-johnson-eu-sturgeon-b1762626.html

Brexit news - live: Boris Johnson admits ‘substantial differences’ remain as EU warns time is running out
Follow the latest updates from the government

Conrad Duncan
@theconradduncan 12 minutes ago

Boris Johnson has admitted that “substantial differences” remain in trade talks over a post-Brexit deal with the EU as the two negotiating teams prepare to resume discussions in London this weekend.

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief negotiator, reportedly told a closed-door meeting for national diplomats in the bloc on Friday that he was not able to say yet whether a trade deal with the UK would be ready in time for the end of the year.

The talks between the UK and the EU have been stalled for months over the issues of fishing rights, the governance of any deal and the “level playing field” conditions aimed at preventing unfair competition between the two sides.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Dont talk to me about democracy. Remainers tried for 3 years to overturn that referendum result. 

The job of MPs is not to reverse the biggest democratic vote in the history of their country. Remainer MPs getting voted in on a Tory Leave manifesto then changing parties or forming a new party to overturn the result mid term. Dont make me laugh. It was a disgrace and anyone who supported it should hang their heads and accept they are anti Democrats.

And boris soon sorted out all those traitor rebel remainer mps after the peoples vote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Which other country did the EU demand unfettered access to their fishing waters as part of an FTA?

Simple question. Answer it.

Then I'll give you the next example.

I wouldn't  hold your breath Jonny.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

I wouldn't  hold your breath Jonny.

I have answered it. The facts obviously confounded him so much that all @JonnyF could do is respond with a childish laugh emoji!

Now, how about you answering one for a change' a reminder of the latest:

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:
10 hours ago, Tofer said:

Ah, but they are UK trade deals now, independent of the EU's protectionist levies and taxes.

As they are merely transfers of EU trade deals then any levies and taxes contained therein are still extant.

But tell us, what are/were these EU protectionist levies and taxes?

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/27/barnier-to-travel-to-uk-for-brexit-talks-despite-lack-of-progress

Barnier urged not to be intimidated as Brexit talks enter 'final few days'

French government tells EU chief negotiator to remember that UK needs a deal more than the EU

Daniel Boffey in Brussels

Fri 27 Nov 2020 13.31 GMT

First published on Fri 27 Nov 2020 09.44 GMT

The French government has urged Michel Barnier not to be intimidated in the Brexit standoff with Downing Street, as his British counterpart hinted at pressure on him to end the talks.

During a briefing on Friday, the EU’s chief negotiator advised ambassadors that he would resume the negotiations in London, despite his threat to pull out earlier in the week.

“But he was clear that things are entirely stuck,” said an EU source. Barnier’s travel plans appeared to be “driven more by a wish at the highest levels of the European commission to negotiate until the bitter end than actual progress on the ground”, the source added.

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/27/barnier-to-travel-to-uk-for-brexit-talks-despite-lack-of-progress

Barnier urged not to be intimidated as Brexit talks enter 'final few days'

French government tells EU chief negotiator to remember that UK needs a deal more than the EU

Daniel Boffey in Brussels

Fri 27 Nov 2020 13.31 GMT

First published on Fri 27 Nov 2020 09.44 GMT

The French government has urged Michel Barnier not to be intimidated in the Brexit standoff with Downing Street, as his British counterpart hinted at pressure on him to end the talks.

During a briefing on Friday, the EU’s chief negotiator advised ambassadors that he would resume the negotiations in London, despite his threat to pull out earlier in the week.

“But he was clear that things are entirely stuck,” said an EU source. Barnier’s travel plans appeared to be “driven more by a wish at the highest levels of the European commission to negotiate until the bitter end than actual progress on the ground”, the source added.

The eu showing their true colours

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite. TM was looking to ditch the ECHR after brexit, another case of the UK going back on it's word.

Theresa May will consider axeing the Human Rights Act after Brexit, despite promising she is “committed” to its protections, a minister has revealed.

The government will decide on the future of the landmark legislation once “the process of leaving the EU concludes”, a letter to a parliamentary inquiry says.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-human-rights-act-repeal-brexit-echr-commons-parliament-conservatives-a8734886.html

Due to the misuse of the human rights act hope it do,es go.

• Like 1