Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

For how long? I believe the EU is on notice

If i was you..., I would be more concerned about the possible splitting from your own union , as I saw last pol 58% for SNP …… and no people you can withhold from independence if really wished deep …..best proof is your own ….Brexit  😊

Not forgetting eventual unification of The Island of Ireland after the consequences of Brexit kick's in 

• Like 2
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There will be no downside to Brexit, only considerable upside. David Davis   The day after we vote to leave we hold all the cards and can choose the path we want. Michael Gove

Why should the EU negotiate with an ex-member, that voted to leave ? They should let Britain stand outside in the cold for twenty or twenty-five years. Then maybe let them back in, if they ask nicely.

Hilarious so if  those 27  countries  all had an 3  trillion economy it should   be  81   trillion instead of the paltry 18.4  trillion

Posted Images

7 hours ago, david555 said:

They can have  their fish …. but I want my € handled by Frankfurt Paris or Amsterdam or even in joint venture by them , it is ours..., just like they claim their waters ...

Don't worry   be happy   ECB is in Frankfurt.

29 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Don't worry   be happy   ECB is in Frankfurt.

I know , but now  we go handle our € passporting on top also ....🤗

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Why do you think this is a concern for us? A united Ireland would be fine by me, as long as the NI people want it. Same for Scottish independence. 

Why do you Europhiles continually tell us Brexiteers that we are worried about these things? 

Clearly you are more concerned about it than we are 🙄

"Why do you Europhiles continually tell us Brexiteers that we are worried about these things? "

Because you Brexiteers say that same about us ......or do you not realize that ?

So why you are concerned about us .😁

Pot... Kettle ....🙄

O.K. dont worry if no problem , everybody happy ...🤗

Edited by david555
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, david555 said:

"Why do you Europhiles continually tell us Brexiteers that we are worried about these things? "

Because you Brexiteers say that same about us ......or do you not realize that ?

So why you are concerned about us .😁

Pot... Kettle ....🙄

O.K. dont worry if no problem , everybody happy ...🤗

I don't understand your point. What do we say about you? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
There are indications Johnson awaits the outcome of the US election to make his decision on the Brexit deal 

Johnson will wait for US election result before no-deal Brexit decision

He insulted many these last years, including Obama and the democrats 

They will block a trade deal with us if they think we are putting the Good Friday agreement at risk. And they remember and resent Johnson’s comments in 2016 about ‘the part-Kenyan president’ having ‘an ancestral dislike of the British empire’ – not to mention Johnson telling US diplomats that Trump was ‘making America great again’.”

In Washington there are plenty of foreign policy advisers around Biden who worked in the Obama administration and have not forgiven Johnson for his “part-Kenyan” comments. The camp sees Johnson as part of the same populist phenomenon that brought Trump to power. And from the Democrats’ point of view, the UK outside the EU will make it less important as a partner on the world stage.

The USA would also need to restore the alliance with the EU to counter China (the UK has lost its leadership role in the EU) 

“In all these giant issues – tech and disinformation and China, and trade, the position of the EU on those issues is just a lot more important than the position of the UK,” said Ben Rhodes, Obama’s foreign policy adviser. “For these big ticket items I think that Brussels, Berlin and Paris are just much more in the middle of it all, than London will be.”

Still some cards to play for the British diplomats 

Foreign Office and Downing Street officials downplay the prospect of difficulties in the “special relationship” if Biden wins. They point out the UK will have opportunities to take the lead on the world stage and build relations with a new US administration. They cite the fact that the UK will chair the UN security council from February, and the rotating presidency of the G7 from the US, as well as hosting the 26th Conference of Parties (COP 26) on climate change in Glasgow in November 2021.

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, david555 said:

I know , but now  we go handle our € passporting on top also ....🤗

Or maybe under the table? 😊

A comprehensive trade agreement between Britain and America was held up by Brexiteers as a major upside to ending membership of the European Union, which barred the UK from negotiating its own deals, during the 2016 referendum.

Talks have progressed at pace since the UK left the EU in January but replacing Mr Trump, a vocal supporter of Brexit who has promised a “great” deal”, with Mr Biden, a Brexit opponent whose views on talks are unclear, could be problematic..

And as for reneging on the Withdrawal Agreement, it won't do with Biden who is 4/5 Irish becomes president 

Much attention has focussed on the public warnings by Mr Biden and senior Democratic congressmen that there will be no trade deal if Northern Ireland peace is undermined by Brexit.

From a Brexiter newspaper 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/24/revealed-britain-scrambling-save-us-trade-deal-joe-biden-wins/

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Hi from France said:
There are indications Johnson awaits the outcome of the US election to make his decision on the Brexit deal 

Johnson will wait for US election result before no-deal Brexit decision

He insulted many these last years, including Obama and the democrats 

They will block a trade deal with us if they think we are putting the Good Friday agreement at risk. And they remember and resent Johnson’s comments in 2016 about ‘the part-Kenyan president’ having ‘an ancestral dislike of the British empire’ – not to mention Johnson telling US diplomats that Trump was ‘making America great again’.”

In Washington there are plenty of foreign policy advisers around Biden who worked in the Obama administration and have not forgiven Johnson for his “part-Kenyan” comments. The camp sees Johnson as part of the same populist phenomenon that brought Trump to power. And from the Democrats’ point of view, the UK outside the EU will make it less important as a partner on the world stage.

The USA would also need to restore the alliance with the EU to counter China (the UK has lost its leadership role in the EU) 

“In all these giant issues – tech and disinformation and China, and trade, the position of the EU on those issues is just a lot more important than the position of the UK,” said Ben Rhodes, Obama’s foreign policy adviser. “For these big ticket items I think that Brussels, Berlin and Paris are just much more in the middle of it all, than London will be.”

Still some cards to play for the British diplomats 

Foreign Office and Downing Street officials downplay the prospect of difficulties in the “special relationship” if Biden wins. They point out the UK will have opportunities to take the lead on the world stage and build relations with a new US administration. They cite the fact that the UK will chair the UN security council from February, and the rotating presidency of the G7 from the US, as well as hosting the 26th Conference of Parties (COP 26) on climate change in Glasgow in November 2021.

Talk about clutching at straws!

• Haha 1