Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

Have you thought about a career in Tory politics? With that sort of insight, you'll be a member of Johnson's cabinet in no time.

But you just keep bringing up daft stuff that at this time nobody knows what the future holds.

Grapes, I am sure we are all in shock regarding your grapes....????

8 hours ago, bodga said:

I see 20 weak  countries  bailed  out by a  very few stronger  ones, how do you see that

And if we accept for a minute that is true, why is it necessarily a bad thing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, I can live perfectly without a drink for a few months.

And if I can't drink for a year but we have no Covid then I am happy to do that.

But a big stick told you what to do in your own house which had absolutely nothing to do with C19, well didn't they...?

Edited by transam

1 minute ago, vogie said:

When the cause is lost, why do the losers always have to resort to insults, we can still be friends................can't we, please don't brick up the channel tunnel.

They won't brick it up, there will just be a toll booth on the French side where passengers will have to pay in Cod fillets..........????

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

It assume that's again something suppose to been hilarious. 

The usual divergent.

Oh no. Not so funny. These were forms of compensation. A more direct example would be Heseltine's farms being allowed £90,000 of annual funding from the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy.

Edited by nauseus

8 minutes ago, transam said:

But you just keep bringing up daft stuff that at this time nobody knows what the future holds.

Daft stuff? The UK government has published the tariff rate for a number of goods post-transition. Grapes will attract 8%. Your crystal ball is not required. It is a fact (assuming that Johnson doesn't change his mind which is always a possibility).

Grapes, I am sure we are all in shock regarding your grapes....????

Not my grapes, JohnnyF's. I've always found it best to follow the conversation from the beginning before making a comment. Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RayC said:

The UK was not allowed to conduct 'formal' trade negotiations with non-EU states before 1/2/20. There was nothing  to stop us preparing our infrastructure and bureaucracy for leaving the EU. It's a choice that was made by successive Tory governments.

Fair play to Johnson. He did say "B****r business'. At least in this regard, he's being true to his word.

Preparations for the unknown - easy.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sorry I don't get what you want to tell me. I can drink in my home whatever I want whenever I want. 

You seem to have conveniently forgotten that shops could not sell beer for personal consumption in LOS.

That is the big stick, now if you are saying you could buy it illegally, that is a different matter, but the big stick told you, you could not buy beer...

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

Daft stuff? The UK government has published the tariff rate for a number of goods post-transition. Grapes will attract 8%. Your crystal ball is not required. It is a fact (assuming that Johnson doesn't change his mind which is always a possibility).

Not my grapes, JohnnyF's. I've always found it best to follow the conversation from the beginning before making a comment. Just a thought.

Yeh, but he's a grapeaholic.....????

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Oh no. Not so funny. These were forms of compensation. A more direct example would be Heseltine's farms being allowed £90,000 of annual funding from the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy.

I googled Heseltine. I suppose you have other facts.

So it is obvious the compensations were there, one can of course argue it was given to the wrong persons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

When the cause is lost, why do the losers always have to resort to insults, we can still be friends................can't we, please don't brick up the channel tunnel.

Nah ….just flooding the thing  is enough 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

Le Pen in the last election vowed not to leave the EU. 

Le Pen is opposed to globalization, which she blames for various negative economic trends, and opposes European Union supranationalism and federalism, instead favouring a loosely confederate 'Europe of the Nations'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndrewMciver said:

This is why the vote should never have been given to the people. 

You have xenophobes not happy they have stopped freedom of movement (for Brits too), destroying the economy (our economy has lost more than what we paid into the EU for the last 20 years), the Pound all but wrecked, and now sole bent on destroying what little manufacturing we have.

The new target for these idiots is now FISH. Yes fish. Fish that makes up 0.05% of the UK economy - most of which ironically we sell to the EU. Also state subsidies because Domininc Cummings wants to give our money to manufacture robots. Do we really trust these <deleted> with the fiasco of money going to their friends during this covid crisis?

What an idiotic country we have become. I bet somewhere even Boris can't believe we are lapping this up. 

Is this why italy is now top of the pops? Roaring economy,absolutely blistering,puts us all to shame...but hang on...are they not making waves also to quit the EU?

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

Nothing to do with the WA.

As I pointed out, the Dutch government was working in tandem with businesses to try to make Brexit as painless as possible, whatever form it took, in early 2019 (probably before). I also know that Zeebrugge was making similar preparations with the support of the Flemish government (yes, there is s Flemish government).

In contrast,  successive UK governments have done practically zero to prepare UK business. 

..but now are doing it   ...just a moment tho,will Belgium be in existence in around 20 years or so?

10 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

This is why the vote should never have been given to the people. 

You have xenophobes not happy they have stopped freedom of movement (for Brits too), destroying the economy (our economy has lost more than what we paid into the EU for the last 20 years), the Pound all but wrecked, and now sole bent on destroying what little manufacturing we have.

The new target for these idiots is now FISH. Yes fish. Fish that makes up 0.05% of the UK economy - most of which ironically we sell to the EU. Also state subsidies because Domininc Cummings wants to give our money to manufacture robots. Do we really trust these <deleted> with the fiasco of money going to their friends during this covid crisis?

What an idiotic country we have become. I bet somewhere even Boris can't believe we are lapping this up. 

It isn't about fish, it is about OUR WATERS..........????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, izod10 said:

..but now are doing it   ...just a moment tho,will Belgium be in existence in around 20 years or so?

Right. 10 weeks away from the deadline. Don't think that's cutting it a bit find?

What's your point re Belgium's continuing existence?

• Like 2