Brexit brinkmanship: Johnson says prepare for no-deal, cancels trade talks

rooster59

30 minutes ago, izod10 said:

..but now are doing it   ...just a moment tho,will Belgium be in existence in around 20 years or so?

Being Belgian, that's a question I am aware of  for about 50 years.

Many questions can be asked :

Will the E.U. being what it is actually, in a short or long future?
Will the U.K. remain an union as it is actually?

And many others.

6 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

What always makes me laugh is 'expats' (they don't like being referred to as immigrants) in Thailand are really up for Brexit. Despite the pound have collapsed by 20% since the vote, and potential to collapse another 20-30% after we leave without a trade deal. 

They are all on pensions from the UK - yet even making them worst off, they are still prepared to go for it. That's some deep heavy stuff there. 

Trolling.....

6 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I think you'll find there are other countries interested in our fish, but no others that will allow EU to rape their fishing grounds.

got anything serious on this rape thing?

from what we are seeing from France, the Great Scallop War, you have big industrial british boats coming in our waters and I do not think "raping" is antyhing but populist rhetoric, but indeed they are not respecting the resource.

Ironically the little "artisanal" french boat cannot fish themselves to preserve the scallops (les français ne pouvant pêcher les coquilles que du 1er octobre au 15 mai, tandis que les Britanniques ont l'autorisation de pêcher toute l'année).

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Agree with you, but not only from the E.U., I dare to say in all domains, everywhere.

We, the man in the street, usually are aware of the things, some on a higher level, are prepare to let us know. 

Of course sometimes a great "complot" is discovered, but usually quickly labelled as conspiracy. 

And maybe it is indeed. 

I actually meant lower level but never mind.

4 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

(les français ne pouvant pêcher les coquilles que du 1er octobre au 15 mai, tandis que les Britanniques ont l'autorisation de pêcher toute l'année).

I think you better translate that in English, not everyone can read French and it is also forbidden by this forum rules.

Beside that very interesting notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m afraid you’re living in lala land; that’s not how business works. 

And had there been any goodwill to treat you like our child, you gambled it away with all your lies and abusive language about “Brussels dictators”, “unelected bureaucrats” and so on. You wanted to be treated as a third country, you are being treated as a third country. So stop the whining. 

If only that were the case, we wouldn't all be squabbling over a no deal scenario.

The EU have no respect for our upcoming status as an independent country, clearly evident by their totally unreasonable DEMANDS for 100% access to our territorial waters, the so called level playing and legal jurisdiction.

So how do you come to the conclusion that UK are being treated as " a third country"?

• Thanks 1

just common sense as EU will always insist on the unlevel playing field and it wont happen .bojo has told em not to come back next week .weakling May instilled a  false sense in the eu monkeys so they think bojo is the same

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

Was that another brain wave of the EU?

I'm not sure what you mean by "brain wave", but if it was a UE conservation policy, the brits would have to respect it.

No I think it's probably an attempt to optimize/conserve this dwindling resource by the french agency, but it has no UE-wide competence, so it's just a solo attempt.

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

Fish wars have broken out in the English Channel as French scallopers confronted their Devon counterparts - firing flares and throwing FRYING PANS.

Two Brixham boats, the Girl Macey, skippered by Scott Glover, and the Golden Promise, by Brian Whittington, were involved in the deep-sea skirmish last night.

They were surrounded by around 20 French vessels and were pelted by objects including frying pans and rocks and a dangerous flare was fired into the wheelhouse of the Girl Macy. The hostile French crews also threw oil at the Brixham boat.

The outbreak of violence has sparked fears of loss of life if hostilities keep worsening each year.

Brian 'Winkle' Whittington, 43, skipper of the Golden Promise, said: "I was expecting it this time, they only do it in the dark.

"We can't use the radio when they do it as they just talk over us instantly, so I couldn't check on Scott to see how he was.

"We were about two miles apart and I had two or three boats around me. Scott had 15 around him, they were throwing oil at him and firing flares.

"I was mentally prepared for it, I knew it was going to happen again."

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/fish-wars-devon-boats-under-4605217

2 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

just common sense as EU will always insist on the unlevel playing field and it wont happen .bojo has told em not to come back next week .weakling May instilled a  false sense in the eu monkeys so they think bojo is the same

Let's see if Barnier comes next week or not.

10 hours ago, bodga said:

Hilarious so if  those 27  countries  all had an 3  trillion economy it should   be  81   trillion instead of the paltry 18.4  trillion

Maybe you can look at a map: some EU countries are a littlebit smaller that the UK . Probably a too big intellectual step for a Brexiteer ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Nothing to do with the WA.

As I pointed out, the Dutch government was working in tandem with businesses to try to make Brexit as painless as possible, whatever form it took, in early 2019 (probably before). I also know that Zeebrugge was making similar preparations with the support of the Flemish government (yes, there is s Flemish government).

In contrast,  successive UK governments have done practically zero to prepare UK business. 

Of course it does.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And I thought they are prepared since years.

Didn't those UK politicians think about what they want before they promoted Brexit?

And wasn't it their responsibility to plan and prepare for Brexit after the people voted for it 4 years ago.

The EU's position didn't change much in all that time.

Amazing UK.

We unfortunately had a lame PM over most of those years.

The EU's position has gone from, yes a Canada style deal is a realistic approach, to, you only get a deal if we maintain control of your laws, fish and governance. Hmm - not much change there then!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nothing to do with hiding. I am swedish, but it´s still irrelevant. What are you comparing with, and why? You have no clue about how I see the country I am coming from? How can you see any perspective without know that? The only thing you do is talking a lot of BS.

Thank you, Swedish...:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I am rather perplexed with these announcements, seems contradictory. 

Or does that mean that no one care about what Mr. Johnson is saying,

and negotiations goes simply on. 

On government level, for sure it will go on. But.. you think all EU customers of UK goods inside the EU are simply awaiting the outcome, with whatever result and by that price + supply reliability, OR did already made up their contracts for 2021 with EU manufacturers ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, allane said:

Why should the EU negotiate with an ex-member, that voted to leave ? They should let Britain stand outside in the cold for twenty or twenty-five years. Then maybe let them back in, if they ask nicely.

No, no, no ... ????never come back, too many problems with Britain ; they are an island, different from the continent ; if they come, they will speak of sovereignity again ; in this century, no sovereignity anymore, we depend of each other too  much 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndrewMciver said:

What do you do in these waters? GET THE HELL OUT OF TOWN. We're not talking a coastline that resembles the Maldives, it's a dump. 

You have a coastline. You go sunbathe. You may get on a paddle boat and go 100 meters out in the horrendous windy coastline we have.

It's always THE PRINCIPLE isn't it. "THAT CRAPPPY POLLUTED SEA IS OURS AND ALL THE NETS AND PLASTIC IN IT BELONG TO US, DOWN WITH HITLER" nonsense they now spout (ironny being when they march they love to do the nazi salute). But oh we will lose Northern Ireland - YA KNOW THAT LITTLE LAND MASS. 

Oh you want the fish that make up 0.05% of our economy, and you want to sell it back to the EU, that will ironcially have tariffs placed on them - meaning we will wreck our tiny fishing industry. 

Not only that we wreck our economy. But oh we'll have cute little fish.

You sound more excited about a few cute fishes than Napoleon does!

4 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Maybe you can look at a map: some EU countries are a littlebit smaller that the UK . Probably a too big intellectual step for a Brexiteer ?

Condescending remark...

But reminds me of a remark that you will not understand..

"I want plaice, and no soggy chips"......????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Fish wars have broken out in the English Channel as French scallopers confronted their Devon counterparts - firing flares and throwing FRYING PANS.

Anyway this might be the last time big English scallopers boat have access the the Bay of Seine while samller french boats are barred from fishing on conservation grounds.

They are maybe trying to reap as much a they can before it's over?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Colonies are a nice topic, just listened yesterday to

https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/entendez-vous-leco/entendez-vous-leco-emission-du-jeudi-24-septembre-2020

in short Algeria was both painful and an economic failure.

But I'm mainly here to chat on Brexit ! 

OK good luck with that! It will be interesting to get a French perspective apart from M. Macron's.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Anyway this might be the last time big English scallopers boat have access the the Bay of Seine while samller french boats are barred from fishing on conservation grounds.

They are maybe trying to reap as much a they can before it's over?

You really are a newbie bundle of laughs....????

• Haha 1