Australia Channel 9 Blocking VPN + Rant

carlyai

It might be worth contacting your current VPN provider and telling them your problem.

I did this in the past when having problems with BBC iPlayer.

They often know about the problem and suggest a server to connect to to overcome the problem. IF of course they have one.

19 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I was raving or ranting and the land purchase refers to Australia. The government bought land for an airport and reportedly paid A $ 30000000 when the valuation was reported as 3000000. 

Channel 9 in Australia is one of the free-to-air channels and they broadcast most NRL games free-to-air. Same as ch7 and ch10 are free.

Guess you need a decent vpn then. My 3000 Baht for lifetime subscription stream 9Now just fine

image.png.ff5ea8bce88d84495ecaf1d22a153693.png

12 minutes ago, phetphet said:

It might be worth contacting your current VPN provider and telling them your problem.

I did this in the past when having problems with BBC iPlayer.

They often know about the problem and suggest a server to connect to to overcome the problem. IF of course they have one.

I have and they've been working on the problem, great service, but still no good with Android. We have a few suggestions to follow before next weekend.

I specially picked what I considered an obscure European VPN company as I felt that they would block big VPN companies/users first. Seems like I am wrong again. ???? At least I got my Covid year investments right  .... wrong ....only 0.5 % return this year. Gotta get something right soon.

A bit of offtopic:

- do NOT use Hola because they allow other users to use your internet connection for SPAM, hacking, ddos attacks and so on (Hola sells users' internet connections through subsidiary company luminati.io)

- websites could detect your location using about ten different ways, the easiest one is current timezone. No much point to use an Australian IP address if your browser tells "Asia/Bangkok" to the website ????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fdsa said:

A bit of offtopic:

- do NOT use Hola because they allow other users to use your internet connection for SPAM, hacking, ddos attacks and so on (Hola sells users' internet connections through subsidiary company luminati.io)

- websites could detect your location using about ten different ways, the easiest one is current timezone. No much point to use an Australian IP address if your browser tells "Asia/Bangkok" to the website ????

Yes you are probably correct about the time stamp.

I think I've found the problem. The technology involved in Android VPN and Windows VPN are different. It is easy to block Android VPNs.

I'll do some more testing, but the next player box I buy will be Windows based. I nearly bought the Nivara (think that's it's name) box before but went for Beelink.  

You can set your date stamp, play store accounts, downloads etc to the country you want to VPN to, but Android can still be easy to geo block.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:31 AM, fdsa said:

A bit of offtopic:

Till now VPN's/ different IP's were always a solution for geo restricted content. Other IP's always worked. Changing timezones never had any influence.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently, my work arounds are working fine, but it can't hurt to plan ahead and have a back up.

Can anyone recommend a VPN provider that offers a dedicated IP address for an Australian server?  That means, you pay for a VPN IP address that only you have, not other subscribers. 

I'm thinking this should go a long way to fixing the problem of IP blacklisting.

When I Google for this, some companies are named, but there is nothing on their website about the product, and prices.

I thought I would post here before I start emailing them.  

I'll be posting this same post in the other VPN thread also, as there is no point starting another VPN thread.   

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Can anyone recommend a VPN provider that offers a dedicated IP address for an Australian server?  That means, you pay for a VPN IP address that only you have, not other subscribers. 

I'm thinking this should go a long way to fixing the problem of IP blacklisting.

Do you know anyone in OZ with a fairly fast connection that might be willing to HOST a light-weight PC on their network that you can then run a open-source VPN connection suite?

I have several clients in the US that require I have access to their internal network. Easiest solution was to run "SoftEther" as a service on one of their 24/7 up PCs, so my local PC can be seen as connecting from the US when conducting queries and completing purchases on their behalf.

You could set up something using a Raspberry Pi, or low profile PC or android box.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 7:30 PM, RichCor said:

Do you know anyone in OZ with a fairly fast connection that might be willing to HOST a light-weight PC on their network that you can then run a open-source VPN connection suite?

I have several clients in the US that require I have access to their internal network. Easiest solution was to run "SoftEther" as a service on one of their 24/7 up PCs, so my local PC can be seen as connecting from the US when conducting queries and completing purchases on their behalf.

You could set up something using a Raspberry Pi, or low profile PC or android box.

I maintain a modem and internet connection in Australia.  I can VPN back to it, which has been handy on occasions, but it's a slower connection than a paid VPN, which isn't idea for streaming sports.  

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I maintain a modem and internet connection in Australia.  I can VPN back to it, which has been handy on occasions, but it's a slower connection than a paid VPN, which isn't idea for streaming sports.  

My problem is nearly fixed. I use Windows with my VPN. That side fixed. I'm installing LAN cable from my router to access points. So that problem will be fixed.

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:
On 11/7/2020 at 3:30 PM, RichCor said:

If you admin own our VPN it might be possible to add a user profile that doesn't have encryption and see if that profile gives you better throughput.

But if the Oz connection is Dn/Up speed asymmetric (where the Up speed is your sending speed) or lacks direct full-speed peering agreements along the route then it's unlikely you'll get much improvement due to enforced traffic shaping and bandwidth limits applied to non-peer traffic.

28 minutes ago, RichCor said:

If you admin own our VPN it might be possible to add a user profile that doesn't have encryption and see if that profile gives you better throughput.

But if the Oz connection is Dn/Up speed asymmetric (where the Up speed is your sending speed) or lacks direct full-speed peering agreements along the route then it's unlikely you'll get much improvement due to enforced traffic shaping and bandwidth limits applied to non-peer traffic.

Thanks for your reply.

Some of the terminology you used it above me, but I think I get what you are saying.  I'll Google around for my modem / router's specs and see if it is capable of what you describe.

The Live NetTV app (if you have an Android TV) has a fair amount of Aussie channels. Use an Adblocker such as Blokada and you should be good to go. Another good one is Redbox TV for sports as the streams rarely buffer depending on your internet connection.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 7:16 PM, schondie said:

The Live NetTV app (if you have an Android TV) has a fair amount of Aussie channels. Use an Adblocker such as Blokada and you should be good to go. Another good one is Redbox TV for sports as the streams rarely buffer depending on your internet connection.

Do you have an android box attached to your android TV, or have you managed to side load the Live Net TV app onto your android TV.  If you have, how did you do it?  

I have an android box attached to my TV, but I can't seem to side load the Live Net TV onto the android TV itself.  

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Do you have an android box attached to your android TV, or have you managed to side load the Live Net TV app onto your android TV.  If you have, how did you do it?  

I have an android box attached to my TV, but I can't seem to side load the Live Net TV onto the android TV itself.  

You need to allow "Install apps  from unknown sources.

https://www.howtogeek.com/313433/how-to-sideload-apps-on-android/

On 12/1/2020 at 3:06 PM, schondie said:

You need to allow "Install apps  from unknown sources.

https://www.howtogeek.com/313433/how-to-sideload-apps-on-android/

Thanks.

I managed to install Live Net TV on my TV.  It wasn't the unknown sources setting that was the problem, it was I needed to install a downloader to then be able to download and install the Live Net TV APK. 

Previously, like phones and android boxes, I just went to the Live Net TV website and clicked on download, but couldn't do it like this on the TV. 

I read somewhere that the android OS on TV's is different to the android OS in phones, boxes and tablets.   

• Like 1