"The Stranded": Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand; #2 Retirees

rooster59

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Strange that the article does not mention that there is now a relatively easy solution for all 3 cases.  All of them can now apply for a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa which would allow them to get the COE to return to Thailand.

Yes, I read that too. But if you have a year contract rent, you keep on paying, while not be able to go back to your place. Like said very well above, buying has more risks, then renting here. It not means if you rent, it is not your home. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

And it’s my understanding that those who own there homes now must have 3 million baht in a Thai bank this was announced last week as soon as I heard this I started withdrawing my savings Thailand is on a cliff edge and I am not going to risk losing my money if and when they put locks on the cash machines and limit what you can withdraw don’t say it can’t happen it happened in the U.K. a few years back never say never .

Another point to note is that foreigners are only protected for less than a million Baht in a Thai bank account. The rules recently changed and now differ from the protection offered to Thai nationals. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

Thailand is my home and I've lived here for 27 years. I sold for Thai citizenship 3 years ago to prevent situations like these when I retire. 

If you are happy being a guest, fine but don't expect to be treated as anything else. 

Frankly, I sympathise with the retirees but they should have known when they went abroad. 

I lost 70k baht by cancelling my flight to the UK in March but common sense prevailed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

Sadly you lose them and have to start all over again I’m stuck in Thailand my wife is in the U.K. in her 10th month and has got so settled over there she does not want to come back to Thailand problem is we own a property here have cats and if I went back to the U.K. I would find it nigh impossible to get back into Thailand . My next door neighbour who is Chinese has the same problem his Chinese wife can’t get back after visiting her mother yet you have the Thai government claiming Chinese are allowed back into Thailand my neighbour tells me this is total BS as his wife has tried every Avenue to try and return.

"the Thai government claiming Chinese are allowed back into Thailand"

You have to be one of "The 120" desirables  wealthy coming to Phuket last month  last week   next week Oh, never mind!

P.S. Sorry about your cats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, fangless said:

Since your crystal ball gazing is so great I assume you win the lottery every time!

FYI the US for example did not impose travel restrictions on non US citizens until 31 Jan 2020.  How could you foresee this in 2019?

Well, if you were waiting for govts to react you were already way behind the curve. We were hearing about it in late Dec 2019 and by mid Jan 2020 understood the global implications. Made our plans to be back in the LOS by early Feb 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Strange that the article does not mention that there is now a relatively easy solution for all 3 cases.  All of them can now apply for a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa which would allow them to get the COE to return to Thailand.

That is not the case, at least not here in The Philippines. Last week I requested information about returning to Thailand on my current non OA retirement extension, only to be told by the RTE in Manila that ‘we are not processing retirement visas yet’. I think Thailand is treating each country differently, possibly according to the level of Covid infection.

• Like 1